Beta testing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by upsidedown, Jun 10, 2009.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    So how do you beta test? I know there was a thread on this before but i looked and i couldn't find it.

2. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Beta testing iPhone games is trying out a game for a developer and giving them feedback on the game before it comes out so that they can fix any problems and make the game as good as possible before it goes live. Basically you'll have to be accepted by a developer as a beta tester for their game, and they'll set you up with a build. You might have to use WinRAR (Well I'm running Windows), to unzip the .ipa and drag and drop it into your iTunes and then you can begin playing the game. Most developers will set up a site for their beta testers to discuss the game and give feedback. Just get into contact with a developer who is interested in seeking beta testers and continue to communicate with them to get all the information you need.

The easiest place to begin beta testing would probably be www.ibetatest.com

3. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks!

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You know iTunes will accept .ipa files, right? In fact, I've heard rumors that .ipa files actually upload to your device faster than the unzipped directory structure. Not sure that's true, but it would stand to reason since file systems seem to deal with one large file better than many small files. I'm using Windows as well, so I know this works.

5. CDubby94

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    The only way I've ever received builds are through promo codes that I installed directly onto the device or through dragging and dropping the .ipa files after unzipping them through WinRAR. You probably know more then me about this though.

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I hope I didn't come off as some "condescending expert" in that last post, because that wasn't my intention. I've only beta tested 10 or 12 games myself, so I'm by no means a pro. Next time you get an .ipa file, though, just drag it to the applications section of iTunes instead of uncompressing it, and it should work just fine. Personally, I wish more developers would / could use the promo code method, though, because that's so much nicer to deal with. I'm not sure what restrictions allow some to use that method while most have to use the ad-hoc files method.

7. 1bigapp

1bigapp Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    1Bigapp looking for Beta Testers!
    PM me!=)

8. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    With the ad-hoc method, the game doesn't have to have been submitted to the app store. For promo codes it does.

9. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Well, don't you need a jailbroken iTouch to just drag the .ipas straight into iTunes? And how do you deal with the zipped files, getting them into your iTouch after unzipping

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    No. You have to have a jailbroken device to install files directly to your device, but that's not what I'm talking about. To use an .ipa file (or a set of files extracted from the .ipa), you simply open up iTunes, switch to the Applications screen under Library, and drag the file or folder from Windows Explorer onto iTunes. Then you sync to your iPod or iPhone. Of course, as you might have gathered this is a Windows solution, so YMMV if you're on a Mac.

11. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    I just tried to sync, and it said the apps couldn't be verified. :S

12. CDubby94

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    No don't worry you weren't condescending at all. And yeah I know you can just drag and drop the .ipa straight from the .rar into iTunes, I guess I shouldn't have said I only unzip the app, since I've done both. Thanks for the clarification though.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That's a different problem. That means that either you don't have a provisioning file, or the provisioning file isn't working on your device for some reason. A provisioning file is a file that should be supplied with the beta that tells your device that it's okay to run the software you're trying to install. Another way to look at it is that the file is a bypass for the App Store.

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I thought you meant that you were extracting the .ipa file, because an .ipa is just a renamed .zip file.