iPad Beta Testers

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talee, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Talee

Talee Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Hmmm, probably should have posted this in here!
    >>
    Hi, we're after a few beta testers if anyone is interested for utopia solitaire. This is a limited offer, for a limited time only. We're looking to release it shortly.

Feedback etc. would greatly be appreciated so if you are interested then head on over to here and enter your details on the form at the bottom (don't worry we won't be passing it on to anyone, but it's the easiest way of managing it). All fields on form are non-required but we'll be looking for people who can give us good, honest and constructive feedback (but make sure your email is valid :) ).

Thanks all.

Chris

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Here are my suggestions:

- Statistics (games played, winnings/losses, percent win, last game played)
    - Golf variation (king on ace and vice-versa because it increases the chances to win, it's less frustrating)

I see your solitaire has only 4 games... Is there a plan to add more in the future?

I really like Tri-Peaks (or 3 Towers) and there are some other appealing solitaires out there such as Kings Corners.

Of course it's almost impossible to have all games that users would like to see in a single pack.

Anyway, I liked the unique graphics. :)

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    You got the beta?

4. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    No. I've just visited the game site.

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Oh.... lol. Whoops

6. Talee

Talee Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks, we're in the UK so will go through the requests tomorrow morning and ship some versions out to you.

@Carols, feedback appreciated. With regard to the game numbers that's something we would like to know. From our testing so far with people (around 50) they only seem interested in about 2 versions (Standard and Freecell), but we added the other 2 because they are great fun. Do people REALLY want lots of different versions etc. That's something we'd love to know and are open to suggestions. It's not a problem putting them in over time but don't want to make it bloated for the sake of having lots of un-played games.

Thanks again,

Chris

7. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Thing I like is a click to play interface rather than dragging the cards. Simply click a card and if there is a card it can be dragged to on the lower stacks it automatically moves there, if not it checks the top row and will move there. If no moves are available it doesn't do anything. :) See Acid Solitaire for a demo of a good implementation of this:

AS play demo Not trying to plug a competitor, just figured that was the easiest way to describe the play method.

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    That's a nice question.

I know that SolSuite for PC is very popular with its almost 500 games.

I'm not saying that your solitaire should have all of them but I think it'd be nice to keep an eye of what games are popular.

When I looked for an iPhone solitaire to purchase I had one thing on my mind: Tri-Peaks.

I really like this game because it's easy and fast (great when you have a few minutes free). Tri-Peaks is even better with statistics rather than a high score. Right now there's no statistics for such game in any version available.

In addition there are 3 versions of Tri-Peaks available so it's kind of popular game.

Other game that seems to have its space is Kings Corners (link in my first reply).

Long time ago I participated in a Palm solitaire beta program and the most requested game was Spider. I don't use to play it but it was suggested by lots of beta testers.

And there are games that are in almost every pack such as Poker Solitaire.

Another important aspect is to add games with high chance of winning like Bristol (Mondo has it). This kind of fast and easy game to win is very important in a collection (even if it's a small one) because it provides an option to play like in a minute or two. Freecell requires a lot more time than that.

In resume, try to add popular games in a single pack is a great deal and increases the chance to get more and more buyers.

Finally, Statistics (not high score) is something that can add replayability to any game.

9. Selina

Selina Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Kent, England
    Yes I really like Spider. Proper Spider that is, not all those truncated mini versions... :)

10. komquat

komquat Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Quality Assurance
    Upper Michigan
    I signed up on the page. I thought the graphics were very nice and polished. I enjoy many different styles of solitaire, but have been into poker solitaire, where you place the cards and try to get the best 5 card hand possible.

Would love to give you feedback on the card game if selected.

Thanks for coming here and advertising the beta testing to potential customers.

11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I would like to help out, but I'm horrible at solitaire and probably wouldn't give very good feedback considering I barely know how to play. I enjoy it for the 2 minutes I press random buttons though!

12. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    General feedback

I'm a casual solitaire player. I've tried several versions available in the App store. Both lite versions and fully featured paid versions. Here is some general feedback on solitaire games in the App store that I have played so far:

1) Instructions
    There are many different varities of solitaire. I was not even aware of how many there are. I've learnt that there is nothing more frustrating than trying a new way of playing solitaire without good instructions. Don't assume people will know the rules of the game. Explain. Include simple and clear instructions.

2) Ease of movement
    Make it easy to move cards and stacks of cards. Nothing more frustrating than trying to pick up a stack of cards and not being able to move them without making several attempts. Select, drag and drop method works well. One version I've tried makes you "paperclip" the cards together and then move them. It's fiddly. It adds extra steps to a simple move and is very annoying.

3) Colour schemes
    Wherever possible have more than one option for the colour scheme of the backgrounds and the card deck. And make that a variety of options. Don't have them all really bright and colourful. What suits one person might make another person want to play wearing sunglasses if it is too bright!

4) Difficulty setting
    Where possible include a difficulty setting. For example I purchased one Klondike deal 3 solitaire game that you can always win if you play it right. I find this very relaxing of an evening. I don't have to think too hard. It's a great way to relax. I have another Klondike solitaire game that I would not play just before going to bed. That version is great, but hard. I average one win in every 30 attempts.

Good-luck with your game and the Beta testing.

13. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Games list

First I think your initial selection is balanced:

Klondike
    Freecell
    Pyramid
    Golf (you need to also put the easy version: kings on aces and vice-versa)

Then we have two games that are in most of the solitaire packs:

Solitaire Poker
    Spider

Then you have popular games that have standalone versions:

Tri-Peaks (or 3 Towers)
    Kings Corner

Release a game with such popular pack (add more later) is a nice approach because you can reach a lot of potential buyers.

However, it's not just the case to add such games.

You have to include statistics for each game apart:

- winnings/losses
    - games played
    - Percent win
    - average time spent

In addition, some games may require a detailed statistics such as Solitaire Poker (# of full houses, straight and so on).

You could also add Tri-Peaks with Vegas rules. This variant of Tri-Peaks (the best because the replayability) is not available yet for iPhone, just some timing and boring ones.

Tri-Peaks with Vegas rules also may have a lot of statistics: games played, winnings/loses, percent win, average score per game, highest score, lowest score, besta game, longest streak (how many cards were opened before deal) and so on.

Well that's a resume. Maybe those additions/suggestions are too much right now but that'll make a great solitaire pack IMO.

:)

14. Talee

Talee Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks all - we've had a great response and will be sorting out ad-hoc (and emailing for some UDIDs). Some really great feedback so thanks very much.

15. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Just curious, is there a certain timeframe in which this would happen?

16. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Are you sure you wanna do that? Beta testers had been known to crack and release the final build out to the wild. You could become a big sucker you know.

17. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Probably every game has beta testers. Your statement does not make any sense for me unless you have facts and statistics showing that a game without a beta tester team is not cracked or something.

If you stop believing in people then I'm not sure where we're going to...

18. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    If we were the kind of people to do so. And anyway, if people wanted to crack an app, they'd do it anyway when it's released.

19. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Most of the time, when a game has beta testers, it makes a small community for that game and it gets sort of free advertising and promotion.

Allowing beta testing also gets the testers and the dev close so they talk to each other and the testers leave feedback. I'm about to start beta testing a fourth game pretty soon and every time I test for someone, I've found it makes the app more popular since the testers (most of the time) support and help out the dev in any way they can. :)

I don't know if that really makes sense, but it's hard to explain. Overall, I think it's a good idea to allow beta testing.

20. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    As a beta tester (for games and other apps) I totally agree. Helping devs is a good thing for everyone: it makes the beta tester feel more involved (and thus care about the finished product), it gives the dev good (and free) feedback before things get too public (read: bad reviews upon initial release), and it makes for an overall better app for the paying customers. Cracks & thieves will always exist, but I think beta testing is a good practice for everyone. (Oh, and I always talk up apps that I like - especially if I've helped the dev out!)