[Beta} Selfie Poker - unique solitaire poker puzzle

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ObsoleteOne, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObsoleteOne

ObsoleteOne Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Hello there. I've been a professional online poker player for more than five years and recently decided to try and build a game. Not a surprise it ended up being a poker game.

[​IMG]

Selfie Poker is an attempt to combine semipopular Open Face Chinese Poker and modern mobile puzzle games.

The rules are very simple. You just need to complete three poker hands bearing in mind some restrictions:
    [​IMG]

When all the levels are full you score points, remove cards that were used in combinations and deal the next round with leftover cards.
    Try to reach the highest score, before you eventually lose.

[​IMG]

Knowing poker hands rankings is almost required, although there's in-game help with reference.

It's built in Unity and we have both iOS and Android available for testing.

If this looks interesting, please drop me a line with your e-mail address, and I will send you an invitation.

Contacts: PM or [email protected]

2. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    One quick question.
    How silly does the name sound to you? I'm not a native speaker and my thinking was that we have this photo thing which we are using for saving best results and it's a game "you can play by yourself, so it kinda made sense to me on some level, but really not sure...

3. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I think title is fine, especially if you have a feature where you can actually take a real selfie to share your personal best.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Sent an email. Looks great!

5. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    So far, so good #
    I'm looking forward to your final touches.
    Would you consider adding multiple modes, like timed (rush mode?)....or themes/card face/color options?

I was also thinking based on your description on this thread, what about a "Dungeon" mode where you score the points to defeat a monster per floor and turn it into a kind of battle/rogue-like?
    Probably too far fetched at this point in development but I just wanted to throw that out there.

6. fatecreatr

fatecreatr Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 1, 2012
    I'm a sucker for poker games mixed with other things. I'd live to test this if you need more people.

7. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure about the name. I almost skipped over the article because of it.

A couple years ago, there was a really great show on ABC called Selfie that starred Karen Gillian and John Cho, but it only lasted 13 episodes because of the title. I'm afraid that using the word Selfie might hurt you - the one's who would want it would be disappointed, and the people who would like the game would be turned off by the word.

I have no suggestion for you at the moment, but that's my 2 cents.

8. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    How about Polaroid Poker? Or if that's a legal issue, something like Snap Poker?

9. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    Thank you :)

We will have more card skins, but I don't know how far we can stretch themes and colors. It's additional content so we haven't put that much effort into it, but given that we use 4-color deck it's actually not that easy to do right. I think I'll start posting card-skin variants here for discussion later.

I don't think we are doing timed mode or any additional modes for the first release.

I totally get what you are saying. When the project was in an early prototype form I was sure there are so many interesting ways to develop the concept further. I dreamed about progression, missions and challenges, abilities and dozens of different themes from "dwarfs mine gems" to "building The Great Wall of China". And I remember a concept where I actually had a dragon and a dude with a sword on the screen :).
    But we decided to drop all of it because nothing of it really fit the gameplay in the way we wanted. Poker has so much character to it and likes to dictate it's own rules. Being crushed by a bad run in pure poker game feels a lot better than being crushed in some RPG-like or casual environment. Sometimes you don't have enough control and the game plays more like a really 'hard' puzzle, rather than bright match-3 or solitaire -like puzzle game.
    Also, we already have too many cards on the screen, so going 'themeless' allowed for a cleaner design.

10. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Well, it's coming along nicely, I haven't encountered any issues while playing. Still trying to beat my high score of a little over 100

11. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    Snap Poker is the name of fast-fold poker variant at 888 Poker. I was really surprised how many words are actually already in use somewhere else. I really liked 'Grind Poker' for some time, only to realize there's apparel brand associated with it.

I hear you. Thanks for the comment.

12. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    I'm happy to announce that we have the new build available.

[​IMG]

It includes:

• [*]- an absolutely gorgeous main menu
      [*]- Premium in-app purchase which removes video ads and unlocks all the photos in Memories screen (all testers should be able to buy Premium for free)
      [*]- options screen (where you can turn sound on or off, chose between showing Ten as T or 10, restart tutorial and restore purchases on iOS devices)
      [*]- photos now have Share button, which currently captures a screenshot and makes it available for sharing through social media channels
      [*]- a bunch of visual tweaks and fixes
      [*]- many under the hood changes. Game should load faster and many bugs were fixed
      [*]- changes to tutorial and help screen (you can remove tips by clicking on them, Skip button leads to the normal game without any tips)
      [*]- new bugs to discover :)

13. Neverswim

Neverswim Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2017
    gameplayer
    Beijing, China
    sooooo cool! wanna enter beta test! how to go it?

14. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    Send me your e-mail address to [email protected] or as a private message here on Touch Arcade.
    Also, you will need Test Flight installed on your device.

15. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    Was trying to figure out store listing text and somehow ended up with this.
    The first "poem" of my life written in about 5 minutes.

16. uti4

uti4 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Male
    Localization & ASO
    Nice idea for a game, indeed! I see the game's audience as poker players and puzzle game addicts - that totals in quite a big audience.

As of the 'poem' you wrote, that's really nice, but to be honest very little amount of users actually read game descriptions. They make decisions based on game icon, first screenshots or a video, and game reviews.

17. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    Often times when you combine two audiences you get not the sum of both audiences but only an intersection. We'll see how it'll go for this project. My personal feeling is that the poker part heavily dominates the puzzle aspect as the game is almost unplayable without prior poker hands knowledge.
    I don't think I have the balls to put it into actual store description although I want to find a reason to do that.
    Thanks for the kind words. You are the 2nd person after my wife to say something good about it and we obviously have to discard her opinion. The programmer on a project just called me a troll.:D

18. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    We have a new build available.
    Its main feature is that it has a lot more sounds now.
    But we also improved our tutorial, fixed a few bugs, added card skin selection screen and polished animations.

In fact, if everything is alright with this build we might use it for our initial release so I would really appreciate you are checking this one out.

19. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks for adding me to the beta (today) I'll give it a try shortly

20. ObsoleteOne

Jun 2, 2017
    The game has a website now: selfiepoker.com
    Looks nice :)

And we've released the game to the public. Here's a link to the thread in iPhone and iPad games forum.

I want to thank all the testers who gave it a try and especially to those who sent feedback. It was very valuable.
    Touch Arcade is awesome.