Universal [OUT NOW!] GOLF PEAKS - climbing mountains by playing golf

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Spierek, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
    #1 Spierek, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    UPDATE: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golf-peaks/id1419542293 - out now!

Hi, we're a tiny studio working on our first mobile title - GOLF PEAKS - which is a tiny puzzle game where you climb mountains by playing golf.

[​IMG]

We're currently aiming to have 70+ levels spread across multiple worlds and a relaxed atmosphere (which doesn't mean the game is going to be easy :)). The game is slated for a Q4 2018 launch on iOS and PC (no Android plans for now, that depends on how well we do on initial platforms).

As we're still figuring out the exact date as well as pricing, but it's going to be a premium, no-IAP, all-nice-stuff experience.

UPDATE: Beta-testing is now closed, but you can still visit us at afterburn.games/golf and/or our Discord channel.

[​IMG]

2. RedDeluxe

RedDeluxe Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Westcoast
    This looks great, but going premium... expect to make very, very little. I’m talking less than $10,000 lifetime sales, if you’re lucky.

I would strongly encourage you to go IAP or at least ad-based. You have a fun premise and good art. You could go much farther with this.

3. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
    Thanks for the honest feedback, really appreciate it. We've been thinking very hard about how to handle pricing for the game but (at least for now) we came to a conclusion that we don't see a way of integrating IAP and/or ads into the game without compromising the experience in a lot of ways.

Since Golf Peaks is not designed to be an endless game (at the moment we're looking at 1-2 hours of gameplay on launch depending on player skill), we don't think we can gain much from ads (not to mention that nagging people with commercials between levels is not nice :p ).

4. RedDeluxe

RedDeluxe Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Westcoast
    I totally get that.

I think most indies want to make their vision of their game without any compromises, but you also have to eat. ;)

Simply hoping a ~90 minute premium game about golf (with some good art and a fun puzzle hook) is going to make you enough money to offset the costs to make the game.

It's your company, ultimately you decide what you want, but just understand what your decision means. It could mean your studio no longer exists because it can't support the team financially. Maybe you have enough money in the bank though, if so.. that's great! Maybe it'll be a big hit, but it's hard to count on that.

Anyway, wish you the best!

5. 9996448

9996448 Member

Apr 19, 2017
  6. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I’d also love to try golf peaks.
    I added a message in discord.
    I’ve got an iPad Air 2, iPhone 7, and of course steam on a pc.
    I’m dazzlemi on toucharcade and steam

7. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
    Sorry for the late reply, as we just came back from showcasing the game at Tokyo Game Show.

You have a point, but with Golf Peaks we want to deliver a game we're happy with and view as good value, as well as figure out our own shortcomings as a team. Fortunately our size is fairly small and development time has been quick so we don't need to sell a ton to make back our investment, but even if that doesn't happen we will still develop future projects ;)

We've added you to the list and should send you an invite tonight :)

Hey, sent you a message on Discord :)

8. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks, I submitted the form on discord

9. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
    Cool, you should get an invite within a day :)

10. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
    A minor announcement - we're planning to close our beta sign-up soon, so if you want to help us test the game (and find your name in the credits later) be sure to visit our website:

http://afterburn.games/golf

[​IMG]

11. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
  12. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Just noticed this on the store preorder section today. Looks great!
    I see you’ll have plenty of levels but would there ever be a shot at an endless or randomly generated mode for long-term replay ability?

13. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male
    Thanks a bunch for letting us know that we're in the US/UK pre-order section, we're using the Polish App Store which doesn't have those :D

Our estimates tell us that the game should take over 2 hours for most people and we have plans to add at least one level pack post-launch, but at the moment we're not planning any level generation or level editor tools. We don't want to commit to those unless we can guarantee that generated levels would be fun enough or the editor would be nice to use :)

14. Spierek

Spierek Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Male