[BETA] DUNGEON FALAN v2.0

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by boorch, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #1 boorch, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    DUNGEON FALAN 2.0

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey Folks!

Long time no see. After a whole year of silence, Dungeon Falan receives a MASSIVE UPDATE, bringing it to 2.0!

The past year has been a wild ride. I moved to another country (I'm based at London, UK now). Our cat member of the family sadly passed away shortly after we moved. (That's why I dedicate this massive update in loving memory of our dear Lucy. You can see a picture of her in the Credits section).

Honestly, I had no plans of adding new features into Dungeon Falan. Through all these dramatic changes (and basically starting a new life in another country) I wanted to feel "at home" away from home (which is a vague concept for me for the past couple of years) so I found peace in working on a personal favourite project of mine -which is obviously, DUNGEON FALAN- in an almost therapeutic sense. To maybe feel more like I'm in a "familiar" environment for a couple of hours every day. And this helped me tremendously for the past couple of months.

Since there are A LOT of changes in the game, I wanted to do another Beta Test run before releasing it to the public. You can dive in and straight up download the BETA here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/88F6DDcj

This won't be a brand new release. When the Beta ends, I will release this as an update to the already existing version on the App Store.

### NEW CONTENT ###
    • New Bosses
    • New Skills
    • Generative Music*
    • Remastered UI graphics
    • A new "How to" section with more tips

### META CHANGES ###
    • Consumables! Some skills are transformed to be "Consumable Skills", allowing more flexible character builds!
    • Reworked Meta (Weapons and Gear have special stats now)
    • Sequential Boss Spawns
    • Class-specific Stats and Skills have greater difference to provoke dramatically different play styles

### TECHNICAL ###
    • Landscape Orientation is now supported on iPadOS and macOS (Catalyst on M1 Macs)!
    • Dozens of bugs fixed!
    • Gamepad support! (I know it's weird, but some people asked for it, so I delivered!)
    • A new in-game Bug Reporting System! **

### POSSIBLE FUTURE PLANS ### (no promises and no real timeline)

• Native macOS version on the App Store
    • PC/Mac/Linux version through Steam
    • Android version
    • Switch version???

(*)Generative Music is composed on-the-fly depending on the class and board you choose, and tension of the soundtrack increases dynamically as you get closer to a Boss Spawn!

(**) If you encounter a bug, please TRIPLE-TAP the Top-Right corner of your screen. It will display a popup where you can (optionally) fill in some (really valuable) information and SUBMIT A BUG REPORT. (It helps A LOT!)

Caution: If you have a save game (a run you haven't completed) from an older version, things may break. Losing your old save game is expected but if you encounter any further weird behaviour related to an old run, please delete your older Dungeon Falan (1.0 to 1.2, downloaded from the App Store) and download 2.0 from Test Flight.

CHEERS!

Echoseven and AggroMagnetGames like this.
  2. AggroMagnetGames

AggroMagnetGames Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Dungeon Falan seems great so far! I just heard about the game for the first time via the article that TouchArcade posted about the 2.0 update to the game.

One question: How do I save my game? Or, how do I resume a saved game? Twice now I’ve switched apps in the middle of a run, and when I launched Dungeon Falan again later, there was no option to resume my run — only to start a new game. I was disappointed to lose my progress. I’m hoping there’s a way around that! Thanks!

3. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Hey there! Glad you liked it! The game is saved every time you kill a boss (that spawns roughly every 50 turns) thus descend into a new level in a dungeon. It’s by design. If you killed a boss and advanced to the next level and the game failed to save your progress, please let me know because that might be a bug!

When/If you have a saved game, you will see a “Continue” button above the “Play” button in the main menu.

Cheers!

4. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Bought this and started playing today after seeing on toucharcade. Fun game!

Few comments I noticed in case these aren't in the bug/UI fixes already underway.

1. A real battery hog. I have a new 12ProMax and turned on 30fps max but it still ate a ton of battery.
    2. Turning on/off vibration has no effect.
    3. You can use your skills by tapping on them even when the "Pick a New Skill" screen is popped up. That doesn't seem ideal. Relatedly, if you get a brand new skill option, should there be a way to replace a selected old skill?
    4. Maybe I missed how to do this, but is there a way to quick-cancel your path? Like if you're on match 13, and you need to go back and grab a different tile, it's a pain to retrace your path.

Good chance I missed some of these, or haven't played enough, or they're already being addressed, etc.

Cheers!

5. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #5 boorch, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Hi there! Glad you liked DF!

1. Are you playing the App Store version or the Test Flight version? It's more dramatic on the App Store version but I'm making some adjustments in the new version so hopefully the battery consumption will be more sensible.
    2. This is fixed in the new Beta (Test Flight), please let me know if it doesn't work!
    3. This must be fixed in the Beta (Test Flight) version, please let me know if you still have this problem! Regarding not being able to replace skills, the meta is modelled like a typical rogue-lite game, where you can experiment with a certain "character build" every run. So it's by design.
    4. You don't have to carefully trace your path back to the original tile. When you're still holding your finger, just drag it on to the first tile you start, you'll see the path traces back and disappears. Then you can let go of your finger.

Cheers!

6. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks for the info! I'm playing the app store version, and am looking forward to the newer version.

7. Myrkul

Myrkul Active Member

Mar 13, 2018
    So when is the release date of 2.0 approximately?

8. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks so much for the reply!

Out of curiosity: Have you considered having the game auto-save after every move (instead of only after defeating a boss)?

I liked a lot of things about Dungeon Falan, but I've found myself hesitating to fire up the game because the time I have to play is often unpredictably short -- on the order of only a couple of minutes at times -- and I dislike losing progress (even in small amounts).

9. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Just about an hour ago I uploaded the latest build to Test Flight. All the new features that were planned to be added to 2.0 is done. I’ll let this last version to be tested for about a week to make sure there are -hopefully- no bugs left. And I plan to submit the actual
    release build bext weekend so hopefully it’ll be released mid-February. Just curious, why don’t you play the Test Flight version? It has lots of changes and revamped graphics like skill icons, item icons,
    vfx and new gameplay content like new bosses, consumable skills etc.

Yes I considered it. The way I’ve created the match system is not very suitable for that. The effort required for refactoring that part of the game was almost as big as adding all the new content for 2.0, and I chose to work on new content since the demand for an “autosave every turn” feature is miniscule (I think you’re the 2nd person that asked for this in the past years).

Nevertheless, I personally want to implement it because I see it as a chance to learn some new programming patterns. So yes, eventually it will be implemented, but I can’t promise when. Maybe on 2.1 or 2.2 (which will probably be around the time I plan to release the Steam version, probably around Q4 2022).

In any case, statistically people seem to kill a boss (thus saving progress) every 5-7 minutes so I believe the progress that’s lost if you quit midway is not that immense. I consider this pretty “merciful” for a game with a focus on “roguelite” features. :)

10. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Makes sense! Thanks again for the replies! :)

boorch likes this.