Universal [BETA] Dungeon Falan (by Happy Doze)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by boorch, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #1 boorch, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    DUNGEON FALAN

[​IMG]

Hi everyone! This is Burç from Happy Doze.

I wasn't expecting to announce a new project since my years long "indie dev" adventure was not financially stable enough and resulted in me having a day job as a technical artist in a game company for the past year.

During this period I wanted to work on a completely different genre to learn new stuff and instead of being in a hurry for a release (because you know, survival...), I wanted to work at a chill pace and enjoy the whole process as much as I can.

So I created Dungeon Falan. A Match 3+ RPG with Roguelite elements. It's basically a love letter to the cult classic "Dungeon Raid", which is perhaps my all-time favorite mobile game, even after all these years. I plan to add new features and content slowly but steadily, especially on this "beta" phase.

So feel free to join the first phase of the Testflight here:
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/4SzgqEN7

The first phase is limited to 500 players.

Some details:
    • If you have an iPhone 7 or above, you can enjoy the painstakingly crafted haptic feedback!
    • An iPhone 7 or better is recommended. The game may run on an 6S or perhaps even 6, but weird stuff might happen, so no guarantees!
    • The game supports ProMotion on iPad Pro.
    • There's no device based FPS-limit and a "Battery Saver" 30 FPS-limit yet, so don't be surprised if your device gets a bit hot and the energy consumption is somewhat on the higher end. This will be fixed in a future version.
    • There's not a proper tutorial yet but you can access the "TIPS" window through options or in-game menu.
    • Some graphic elements (especially various skill and upgrade icons) are "glorified" placeholders, so don't expect them to be close to the final product.
    • The full game will be a "paid" product with a sensible "buy me a coffee/beer/bubble-tea" style price tag. Judging by my past experiences, it's unrealistic for this kind of "niche" (perhaps "non-hyper casual") games to be financially successful using a F2P model without devoting half of the development time to add "gacha" mechanics to the game, which I wouldn't really prefer to do anyways. I'd prefer to spend all my energy to add new and meaningful features to the game. Plus, I don't have the huge budget needed to run various "user acquisition" campaigns and marketing etc.

Features planned to include on the full release:
    • Class system with some unique skills for each class
    • Additional bosses with unique abilities
    • Unlockable “board skins”
    That's all for now. I'll possibly be updating this post with more details in the future.

Cheers!

Some screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Sure, I will buy you a Sexagintuple Vanilla Bean Mocha Frappuccino. Now where is the pre-order link?

boorch likes this.
  3. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Thanks in advance!

I’ll hopefully handle all App Store related stuff next week :)

4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    So, what’s unique about this game? I couldn’t tell from a short video, but you mentioned about skills and upgrades in your description.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I’m with you right there. I am SO in.

Only played half a round so far and it’s already better than any other Dungeon Raid attempts I’ve played. Excellent job!

vectorarchitekt and boorch like this.
  6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I like it also. The art work, play style. I sent a note that I thought the swipe was a bit jerky but otherwise, really nice.

boorch likes this.
  7. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Hey thanks for the feedback! What's your device? I'm currently trying to fix a bug that lowers the FPS the more tiles you select, maybe that's the same issue.

8. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Does this game have a story?

9. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Nope. This is a Match 3+ RPG with Roguelite elements.

10. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I have an IPAD air 128 gb. It's a couple years old.

11. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Hi everyone!

The updated version 0.3(9) should be available by now on TestFlight.

- Fix for FPS dropping when matching 5+ tiles (even low-end devices should see a ~50% boost)
    - Added a "Power Saver" mode to the Options. This will limit the FPS to 30, so your battery lasts longer and you device runs cooler
    - Added "Clock" to board scene
    - "Retro Shader" and "Power Saver" modes are disabled by default

12. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    Hey any discord channel for give you feedback ?

13. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Nope, I will create one post-release because Discord lets you get a custom channel URL (like discord .gg/customthing) if a game is actually released.

You can use “Send Feedback” button on the Test Flight app for now.

14. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Hey folks!

An update with a minor fix is live on TestFlight. It fixes Retro Shader and Power Saver settings not being saved. Cheers!

15. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    You’ve nailed the DR feel like nobody else has been able to! Thank you for making this game. I miss Dungeon Raid a ton. It might just be my favorite mobile game as well. Your game might become my new favorite
    Really looking forward to what you’ve got coming with the finished product.

boorch likes this.
  16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Enjoying this so far. Only feedback would be that it seems a bit too easy. But love the Dungeon Raid vibe and style!

17. SuperSpooky

SuperSpooky Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Male
    I was able to unlock two abilities at the same time by accidentally pressing on both of them simultaneously. I also feel like the game is way too easy. I really love the feel and look though, excited for the finished product.

18. AltsKev

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    Too easy ? do you play in mayhem mode ?

19. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #19 boorch, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Thanks a lot! I'm really glad you liked it! I really tried to create the same vibe. I played various other "Dungeon Raid-like"s and always craved for the vibe of the original game, that's why I created Dungeon Falan. It's a bit out of my general focus (I'm more used to developing real-time, action games) but it was a great experience to learn about new programming patterns! :) I wanted it to feel like a 2020 game but with the vibes of 2010! (A time when App Store wasn't washed with hyper-casual titles and most of the games you stumbled upon was painstakingly crafted and had something "special")

Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback! Actually I wanted to make "Normal Mode" feel a bit like a longer journey you can drop in and out of, and "Mayhem Mode" to be a quicker, more compact adventure that lasts for 100 turns max. Nevertheless, I can't approach the "hardness" objectively since I program it :) So I'm super interested to hear everyone's opinion about it. What would you prefer to make the game a bit harder?

• Increase enemies' HP?
    • Increase enemies' Damage?
    • Change the hardness curve? (Currently it's a bit "exponential" so the game starts really easy but gets considerably hard around turn 100) Would you prefer it to be a bit more "linear"?
    • Any other idea? I'd love to hear any idea that is fitting or not, even if it's not directly implemented, any suggestion you guys make would spark up another idea to develop the game further!

Good catch! I'm already working on it and this will be fixed on the next update! (which will be live today or tomorrow depending on how long it takes Apple to "approve" the new build) About the "easiness", do you have any suggestions to make it feel harder? (See above)

Honestly I think "Mayhem Mode" is a bit too hard right now. It should last for 100 turns max but personally I was never able to make it to turn 100 :) I need to find the sweet spot between "Normal" and "Mayhem" mode. Were you guys able to make it to turn 100?

20. AltsKev

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    i'm not sure but in mayhem i am at 76k score in global and 5990 in mayhem.

i cannot find the wave stats

Casalex likes this.