Universal [Beta] BloksOut 3.0 - Arkanoid, Breakout, Krakout brick breaker game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DrugiKat, Oct 11, 2019.

1. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Game designer and developer
    Croatia
    #1 DrugiKat, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    New beta for BloksOut 3.0 is available!!!

Retro game influenced with games from Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum like Krakout, Arkanoid and Breakout but in new colourful design with one handed gameplay.

or
    Click this link for downloading beta version: https://testflight.apple.com/join/TdTAZBqS
    [​IMG]

New in this version:
    Completely redesigned gameplay.
    The game has a much sharper and clearer look.
    Everything runs smoothly.
    Bloks now explode when balls hit them.
    Collect items and hearts by finishing Endless levels.
    Boss levels are much harder.
    Collect Key to advance to a new level.
    New PowerUps.

Features that make BloksOut great:
    - 100+ Square levels
    - 11 Boss levels
    - 1000+ Endless levels
    - 49 different in-game Items to avoid and destroy
    - 6 Minibosses that will try to stop you
    - 10 Enemies to make your life harder
    - Collect Key for unlocking a new level
    - Lethal Power-ups
    - Dozen of different blocks which explode
    - One hand gameplay
    - Cool retro feeling
    - Memorable sounds, music, and effects
    - Exploding bloks
    - Global leaderboards
    - 49 Achievements to collect

W: www.drugikat.com
    T: www.twitter.com/drugikat
    F: www.facebook.com/drugikat

2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Judging by 2 thousand people on Game Center leaderboards you obviously don’t need my feedback. But since I tried the Beta, it’s customary to get back with at least something...

I agree with the game’s description. It has the feel of ZX Spectrum games. The influence is palpable. It has much modern look, more colors and overall smoothness. Gameplay-wise it’s ok-ish I guess. I’ve played tons of brick smashers in past 35-or-so years, and yours fits somewhere in the middle. It plays well but brings nothing special or remarkable to the table. I wouldn’t say it’s “meh” per se, it’s just ok.

There are power-ups, but nothing outstanding or imaginative. Just classics like increase/decrease of ball’s speed, paddle’s size, laser of different colors and whatnot. Some collectibles but no customization of any kind. Two game modes.

It has typical free to play aspect implemented. Monetizing in general. It has ads, they’re removable with IAP. It has hearts to play, pretty much energy system. Of course they’re purchasable in form of another IAP. I’m not judging. It’s your choice to go f2p. I don’t like it. I don’t appreciate it. But I get it.

As the biggest design flaw I consider keys though. Missing a single falling key means automatic failure and necessity to repeat the stage. Losing a ball on the other hand resulting in a loss of heart but ability to continue. During my short gameplay I’ve been put between these 2 choices almost constantly. I just don’t get it. What’s the point of keys anyway except being annoying? You can unlock next stage b6 finishing previous one. No need for a key whatsoever.

And as being forced to make choices like this wasn’t stressful enough, in later stages there are random enemies introduced. Getting hit by a single projectile results in game over. Considering all of that, the game’s actually not that difficult. It’s just annoying. Especially when all three things are happening at the same time. I have to avoid flying projectile, catch the falling key and bounce the ball at the same time.

The worst for the last I guess. Music. It reminds me of something I’d hear in circuses and amusement parks. It’s just terrible. Listening to the same “track” during each stage while playing Endless is a torture. Only thing missing is a monkey on a unicycle holding balloon as an enemy. Seriously. Why this kind of music?

To summarize, for me it’s an ok game. Mediocre. It has its pros and cons. Physics are good. Controls works well, everything’s smooth and responsive. It’s a typical brick smasher hugely influenced by 80’s era. In good and bad way. If there was no other brick smasher out there, I’d be playing this one I guess. Luckily for me (or, unfortunately for the developer) there are more games of this genre available. So, it’s about a personal preference after all.

3. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Game designer and developer
    Croatia
    #3 DrugiKat, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Hi, @macplash
    Although many people playing not everyone is willing to write an opinion about the game so thank you very much for your feedback.
    I have also played lots of brick smasher in the past +35 years - one of the more memorable is Krakout from Commodore 64 - so I agree with you my fits somewhere in the middle.

Regarding keys, you are right. They will stay but I will decrease the fall speed and reduce the number of keys from 3 to 1 for a less stressful experience.
    Regarding music, you are also somewhat right. But there I can not do much because musical taste differs from person to person. I will try to address this by adding more suitable different background music. The game also has the option to turn off the music.

Two new game modes are planned - circle and triangle.
    When you lose all hearts you get another 5 hearts for free. So IAP is optional, you can play happily without any purchase.

As you said, all in life is about personal preference.