Universal [BETA!] Blocky Farm - voxel-styled farm manager made with love <3

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by sortris, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sortris

sortris Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #8 - Daily quests, watering system, changing animal names & bonus gifs

Past week was full of hard work for us. We have for you some big features and great bonus gifs. We hope you will like it.

Daily quests
    Our goal in Blocky Farm is to engage user as much as possible. That why we designed three main layers of engagement:
    First layer - Product orders with delivery truck - small orders for some products. Very easy to complete.
    Second layer - Daily quests - a little bigger tasks to do: feeding animals, buying decorations, collecting products, doing other things. Playing game in general.
    Third layer - Achievements - big tasks to do that will take many days to unlock.

So this week we almost finished daily tasks system. Quests are generated procedurally and for now there is more than one hundred combinations of unique tasks. There will be up to 3 available daily tasks at one time. New quests will appear every 24 hours.

[​IMG]

Watering system
    We were improving field building and crops gathering process. Thus we created well and whole watering system with usage of water buckets. It will be possible to water fields one time in the whole growth process. This will simply fasten crops production. But remember, well will have limited capacity.

[​IMG]

Changing animal names
    There will be also an ability to change animal’s name.

[​IMG]

Bonus
    We have a small gift for you: bonus gifs from the development process.

One of mocked ideas: magical water bucket.

[​IMG]

Don’t mess with our dog.

[​IMG]

Links
    Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook

2. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thank you for your kind words! :) As far as I remember, your Don't Sink game is great too. I encourage you to take a look on the #8 devlog update :)

3. applicattura

applicattura Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I've almost missed the update, but now I subscribed the thread so it won't happen again :-D You took a huge project and I hope that you will end it and release some good farm manager :) I can't wait when I see it with a final graphic and play with the dog :D

I guess that you will release beta so don't forget about me, I would like to be a part of this game :)

4. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #9 - Mine, tool factory, gifts and refactoring

General code refactoring was planned for this week. Despite this we are still implementing features. Not so fast as in the previous weeks, but it still something.

Mine
    There will be a special building in Blocky Farm - Mine. Player will be able to use tools (for example shovel, dynamite) to get ores (iron, carbon, even gold). Moreover it will be possible to send our horse with trolleys to the mine in the future. The horse will get treasures for us even when we won’t be playing the game.

[​IMG]

Tool factory
    This is a building that produces tools from ores. Different tools will be useful for different things. For example: user will be able to remove swamp obstacle with shovel or to dig into the mine to get more ores.

[​IMG]

Gifts
    Treasure chests was replaced with gift boxes. The main difference is that gift boxes will contain only one random item. We will transform treasure chest into more powerful item in the future.

[​IMG]

Refactoring
    Clean code is as important as a functionality for us. That is why we do some refactoring this week. It is true that clean code makes development faster and we want to do our best to maintain it.

Links

5. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks for following us! :)
    Yes, we took a huge project. Of course initially the game idea was a lot smaller, but our projects scope evolved too much. And we feel good with it.
    Thanks for your kind words and we will definitely remember about you after beta tests.

6. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    #0 - Development start

-=-=-=-= POST FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES ONLY =-=-=-=-

Current state of the game
    We implemented some game mechanisms so far but please take into consideration that WE ARE USING MOCKUP GRAPHICS:
    First of all we created some voxel models:
    [​IMG]

Then:
    Performance benchmark
    [​IMG]

Animals and building construction - first look
    [​IMG]

New building construction and animal assignment
    [​IMG]

Basic animal production
    [​IMG]

Animal state and info window
    [​IMG]

Farm happiness and experience level
    [​IMG]

Silo & warehouse.
    [​IMG]

Wheat field
    [​IMG]

7. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #10 - Treasure chests and first renders!

Hi there.
    This week was full of code refactoring and bug fixing but we were able to implement one new feature. This #10 devlog update is our small jubilee, so we have something special for you!

Treasure chests as a premium item
    After a long analysis and brainstorm process we decided to make treasure chests as a premium item. Chests can be obtained as a reward from daily tasks or for a small amount of money. Every chest will contain from 3 to 5 common items and from 1 to 2 rare, special items. More details will determine at the end of the development process.

[​IMG]

First official graphics renders!

Scarecrows
    [​IMG]

Apples
    [​IMG]

Trunks
    [​IMG]

How do you like it? We would be thankful for your feedback!

Links

8. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #11 - Game parameters, rebuilt shop & products collection HUD animation

Hello there everyone. We have some interesting features for you today. Just take a look:

Loading game parameters from remote bundles
    The ability to load game parameters remotely is very important for us. It will allow us to balance key values without official updates. The flow of the process is to set proper value in our Google Sheet with parameters, then export it to JSON, generate Unity Asset Bundle with this data and put it on our server. Then game will try to download everytime someone will start to play. In case of no internet connection, locally saved data will be used.

[​IMG]

Shop items with minimal farm level
    Thanks to the previous feature we were able to add minimal farm level necessary to construct every building. It will help us to balance the game. After every farm level, player will get access to new buildings, etc. So now every item has one of three possible statuses:

1. unlocked
    2. available to unlock but not unlocked
    3. not available to unlock

Just look at the gif:

[​IMG]

Products collection & HUD animation
    Item collecting process has now its dedicated interface animation. Just like that:

[​IMG]

New renders
    Barbecue Grill
    One of the production facilities in Blocky Farm is a Barbecue Grill. It will allow us to produce some tasty food. There are 3 levels of development below:

[​IMG]

Mill
    On this render you can see a Mill and its three levels of development. Player will be able to produce food for animals.

[​IMG]

Thanks for following us and see you this Saturday! :)

Links

9. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    I was off for a week but I see that you were hard working :eek: Renders are great, the whole farm may look fantastic! Would love to see render of your dog :-D

10. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #12 - Loading screen, shaking trees, moving decorations and buildings

Hello everyone, here you have episode 12. of Blocky Farm devlog. Have a nice read! :)

Game loading screen
    After remote game parameters implementation it was high time to add a game loading scene. It is as simple as that: game logo (don’t worry - it is just a temporary placeholder :D), some game hints and smooth progress bar animation.

[​IMG]

Shaking fruit trees
    You can remember that there are some kinds of fruit orchards in Blocky Farm. Every tree gives a fruit after finished production but it requires player’s interaction to collect. It needs just a single tap on the tree to shake it and dump the fruit on the ground. Then fruit is automatically collected to the barn.

[​IMG]

Highlight decoration slots
    Decoration slots is a great feature but now it is easier to find free slot for your decoration. Just look on the gif:

[​IMG]

Moving buildings to other slots
    We implemented this feature to give a player some freedom in placing buildings on the map. Of course every decoration will be moved with building too. As you can see, it works fine.

[​IMG]

Renders
    As always we have some nice renders for you: wheat, carrot and sugarcane fields on 3 levels of growth.

Wheat field
    [​IMG]

Carrot field
    [​IMG]

Sugarcane field
    [​IMG]

Links

11. MacEleven

MacEleven Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2015
    This looks absolutely amazing I like you guys and your hard work. I CANT WAIT. #

12. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks MacEleven! :) It is very important for us that there is someone who like it. Here is not so many people in this thread so we appreciate your words more than ever! :)

13. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #13 - Tractor prototype, buildings construction process and renders

Hi everyone. We have some great features to share with you as always. We would be thankful for your feedback! :)

Tractor prototype
    One of our goals in BlockyFarm is to engage and entertain a player at every stage of gameplay. Going this way we decided to add a tractor that will be available to use later in the game. A player’s task will be to repair this vehicle and as a reward it will become our next tool useful for collecting crops. It will also be possible to drive on the whole map.

[​IMG]

And remember: don’t drive drunk! ;)

[​IMG]

Building construction process
    The next big thing in Blocky Farm is improved, awesome building construction process. This process is separated into four stages:
    1) The appearance of the scaffolding
    2) The actual construction process - building is getting bigger and more visible
    3) The disappearance of the scaffolding
    4) Ribbon cutting
    How do you like it?

[​IMG]

Renders
    Bee hives - three levels of development

[​IMG]

Cherry orchard - one of three levels of growth stage

[​IMG]

Links

14. MacEleven

MacEleven Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2015
    So eager to play this game I love the graphics for it and it looks so smooth and clean.

15. Two.E

Two.E Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Nice!

Nice work. I really have enjoyed watching the progress of this :)

16. applicattura

Sep 1, 2015
    It's so great to see how you constantly develop this cute voxel game :) Prolly I'm sayin the same again, but don't forget about me when you release beta test, cheers :)

17. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Guys,
    First of all: thank you so much for your comments. It helps us stay motivated more than anything else.
    Secondly, we will try to start the Blocky Farm landing page before the end of this year. It will be possible to sign to the newsletter, but of course I will remember about you. :)
    And finally, wait for the next devlog update, probably we will post it tomorrow.

Regards, Tobiasz.

18. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Count me in! This game looks great. I've read all the posts and the dev is giving great updates along the way too.

19. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Update #14 - Bridge, farm gate, global events and animal buildings models!

Hello everyone, here you have episode 14. of Blocky Farm devlog. Have a nice read! :)

Bridge and unlocking new area
    There are some inaccessible areas on the map that can be unlocked by completing some simple objectives. This week we’ve implemented destroyed bridge that player has to repair with some boards, ductapes, etc. Repaired bridge gives an access to the new area.

[​IMG]

Farm gate
    We’ve also added a farm gate that is not only a customisable decoration, but also display the farm’s name. Of course the player will be able to change it! :)

[​IMG]

Global events
    There are some global events in the Blocky Farm. For example, player can get 2x more experience/coins from completed orders with delivery truck. Events are temporary and last around 3-5 days. Everything is of course remotely parametrized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Renders
    As always, we have some nice renders for you:

Pigsty - three levels of development

[​IMG]

Sheep Pasture - three levels of development

[​IMG]

Garden

[​IMG]

They are beautiful, aren’t they?

Links

20. sortris

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks so much! We do our best :)
    You will surely be counted in. We will start Blocky Farm landing page soon. There will be newsletter and beta sign up. :)