iPad Best word game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by brewstermax, Dec 21, 2008.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

What is the best word game out there. I'm wanting one, but don't know which to get.

2. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    "Best" is subjective. The ones I have now are these ones:

Scrabble: Great game, worth what I paid but not as good for a 'quick' play. You need to have more time to devote to this one. It does save your progress but it is slow to load so I don't play it unless I have time to really play it.

Word Up: There are rows of letters and you use them to make words. If you use a tile, the row shifts up so the letter below it becomes available. It's sort of like a solitaire Scrabble. I like it and play it often.

Imangi: You slide the columns around to make words. You can play it like a strategy game and try to make the best board you can, or you can play 'speed' Imangi where the letters vanish as you use them. I posted about it here once and the dev PM'd me to ask me for suggestions. I sent him some and he never replied. I think the gameplay in Speed Imangi is a little fiddly and it needs adjustable playing times e.g. an option for longer games. The dev never responded when I replied to his PM with this suggestion.

Quordy: One of the better Boggle clones---I paid for and tried a few! I like it better than wurdle because wurdle makes these annoying sounds whenever you tap a word, so even if you are going for a longer word, it clues you in that you have another one, which makes it too easy. I also like that Quordy has an unlimited gameplay mode where you can keep going to try and get all the words. Downside of this game, some boards are really hard and there is no re-shuffle option like wurdle has.

Word Whirl: Like Text Twist. A fun game, and nicely presented, but it starts freezing up a little if you play for too long. I paid $1.99 for it but there are tons of free clones now.

Fire Words: Like Bookworm, and worth the $0.99 I paid for it, but I don't play it as often anymore because I kind of burned out on it. I am more into Quordy right now and am contemplating getting Wordpops.

I am curious about other replies to this thread. I love word games and am always on the lookout for more.

3. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I agree mostly with what ficbot wrote, although I prefer wurdle to quordy - since I can change the size of the grid which makes the game more interesting to me. Imangi is good and Scrabble is very polished - and the AI is excellent in that game.

4. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Wordle is free and its alot like text twist, and i love scramboni!

5. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I have almost all of the word games and Wurdle is the best!

6. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Are there any cryptic crossword games available? I've looked throught the description of a few Crossword apps, but the itunes search engine isn't the best, so I might have missed some.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I just got Wordsworth for a dollar and it's great. One of those games where 5mins turns out to be hours! It's basically a cross between Numba and scrabble, on a gameboard like Trism. I really like it.

8. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    @ficbot - Thanks again for the Imangi shoutout! And I'm so sorry we missed your PMs! Turns out that Keith (kshep) didn't know that you don't get notified when you get a PM, so they completely slipped his radar. Lesson learned. He'll get back to you today on those.

And I'm glad you're enjoying Speed Imangi. I think a lot of players overlook that game mode, and it's really fun. There was a fierce battle going on for the top score between The Bro and jp JP jp, and jp JP jp just completely dominated the boards. I really have no idea how they are getting such ridiculous scores. 117,000?!! How?!

@Iago, thanks for your Imangi recommendation as well. Let us know if you have any suggestions for improvements.

9. I really like QuickCross it's a 4x4 crossword puzzle. Words are formed up and down and has hints for each one. It's comes with USA today crosswords. Quickcross is fun and can be solved in just a couple of minutes. I initially did like Imangi word squares but like having clues so much better.

Muddled is a good anagram one too although there are a ton of anagram word games to choose from.

10. brewstermax

So should I get Wurdle, Imangi, or Quordy? What about Wordsworth? What's the difference between Imangi and Imangi Word Squares?

11. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

I only have Wurdle and it's an addicting, fun game. There is a timed mode and a untimed mode. You can choose different tiles and backgrounds. For me Wurdle is the word game to get.

12. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    #12 kshep, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    @brewstermax

Here are some differences between Imangi and Imangi Word Squares:

1) In Word Squares the main goal is to unscramble the board into the solution. Every board has a solution (in some cases more than one) where every row and column forms a word. In Imangi, there is no 'right' solution for each board. The goal is to form as many words that you can given the board you start with. There are many different ways to cram words into the board. Part of the fun with the Daily Challenge in Imangi is that everyone starts with the same board and you can see how your solution compares to the solutions that other people create.

2) Imangi limits the movement of pieces. You slide the rows and columns of letters to move the pieces around. In Word Squares, you simply drag the letter to where you want it to go, and it swaps the pieces, with no restrictions on movement.

Hope that helps. You can see videos of both games on our website: Imangi and Word Squares.

Enjoy!

-Keith

13. brewstermax

Ohh. So Imangi is kind of like Quadrum:Colors, but with letters, I think

The first link is broken, you misspelled videos in the link.

14. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Thanks for letting me know the videos link was broken. I fixed that.

I would say Quadrum Colors is inspired by Imangi a bit. ;-) We've been around much longer, though. Since the first day the store opened, actually.

15. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    easily scramboni-free, race against others online to unscramble words fastest

16. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Anyone try Wordplay?

17. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Wordplay is okay, but you have to make five letter words. You can make smaller words in Imangi. Also, in Wordplay, there is a 'target word' you must make in order to advance levels, and then in every level they add exploding tiles, locked tiles etc. I think Imangi is a little more of a 'pure' strategy game because they don't introduce all these fancy 'special' tiles.

It might be fun though if Imangi did introduce an option where it would give you a target word and you would get a huge bonus for making it. That could work nicely in speed Imangi. I also suggested (and got a nice reply back today) that speed Imangi have simpler input (a bit too much tapping and double tapping right now) and options for longer games.

The Quadrum guy hangs around when his games first come out but he does not reply to feedback and he abandons his games at the first sign of trouble. I think he had an Imangi clone at some point which he abandoned to make the colours game (which is an okay game although it needs some scoring fixes---and again, since it was released, te dev has vanished into thin air and is not updating it).

I got a new one today, Word Pops, which is sort of across between Boggle and Tetris---you have to touch linking bubbles to make words, but new bubbles keep filling your screen. There is a free light version to try first. Pretty good game, but it could use a few sound effects and a nicer icon. Those are small quibbles though, it's a pretty fun game.

18. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Ooooh... target words. Ficbot, you are full of great ideas.

Although we don't have target words per se, we *do* actually have a couple of Easter Egg words that give you a huge bonus. One of the words most people will be able to guess, if they're looking. For the other one, you have to know a bit more about us, but it's also not too obscure. It's pretty obvious once you find one - there will be much flashing :)

I'm excited to get back to making improvements to Imangi. We're currently working on game #3 (sneak peek coming soon!), but once we're done, we should be able to make some of the suggested improvements to Imangi and Imangi Word Squares.

19. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Word Jolt is one of the best action word games IMO.

I've created a topic when the price changed to $0.99 but no one replied, NO ONE! :D

You can even try it online first, tho iPhone control interface is better than the mouse.

20. brewstermax

I got Imangi, and Wordsworth..