Best way to Capture Video of your iPhone App

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ringo50k, Oct 21, 2008.

1. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    If you're using Unity (I doubt you are) but if you are, use iShowU or your choice of screen capturing device and just capture the editor screen while using Unity Remote on your iPhone....here's what I got:

http://www.apptheater.com/video/470/Rolly-Official-Promo

However, I do know that there is an application out there somewhere that actually displays the video right off of your iPhone onto your mac....they used it in this video here (the dev team showing off the new spiffy 3G unlock due tonight):

http://qik.com/musclenerd

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    rofl

3. jameswedmore

jameswedmore New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    HA! That is awesome!! Are those Mega-Blocks?!

James Wedmore
    LegosAreBetter dot com

4. We bought something called iSimulate, which is supposed to allow you to use your phone to control what's happening in the simulator, but have yet to try and get it up and running.

http://www.vimov.com/isimulate/documentation/

5. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

How about the video output adapter at the Apple Store? $50

6. I just made a quick video of Western Wind using iShowU... took about a half hour to get set up and capture the video. I'm going to play around with it a bit more... it's great for grabbing video, but I can't move my mouse fast enough.

YouTube: video

7. isitechinc

isitechinc Member

This is a neat thread! I use my Casio EX-F1 attached to a small tripod pointing straight down, and I also attach an external mic so I can get clearer audio. Then I record in 720p HD and hold the iPhone or Touch in place with my left hand, while tapping and such with my right. Works alright.

8. iPhoneTankGame

iPhoneTankGame Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Code Monkey
    Surf City USA
    #28 iPhoneTankGame, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Capturing demo video from iPhone

I bought iSimulate from App Store ($16), and iShowU HD from www.shinywhitebox.com ($30), and downloaded a framework from www.vimov.com (you need to add that framework to your app to make iSimulate work, no new code, just add the framework to your project).

Run iSimulate on your device, and run your app in Simulator. Device connects via WiFi to your MAC, and voila, you get touches and accelerometer events from the device in your Simulator.

I used iShowU HD to record the video at 480x320 (my game goes into landscape when you turn the device, and so does Simulator window on my MAC).

I had problems with System Sounds. Still trying to figure that out. But here is a video I did for T.A.N.K. Arena Battle.

9. Just got iSimulate up and running... pretty slick. I'm going to need to build some sort of cutout template over my ipod touch screen so I can know where the buttons are... it's tough with the display it gives you to be very accurate.

Quick question for you iPhoneTankGame, is there a way to turn off the white circles that appear on the simulator to indicate a touch? I don't want my captured video to have those appear when I tap the screen.

10. n/m, just figured it out:

Disabling Touch Indicators

* By default, iSimulate displays circles on the iPhone Simulator at the positions of the touch events. If you want to disable these touches, add the following code to applicationDidFinishLaunching method in your AppDelegate class:

if (NSClassFromString(@"iSimulate"))
    [NSClassFromString(@"iSimulate") disableTouchesOverlay];

11. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    iShowU HD is pretty good for capturing. I used MS MovieMaker for editing and VLC to convert from MOV to ASF (which is required for MovieMaker)

Here is what I got after a couple of hours of playing with the software...

12. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    Is this program, by any chance, free for download on Windows systems? It looks useful and it could help with a computer game I'm coming out with.

13. mobilainteractive

Mar 6, 2009
    no but you may wan to try screentoaster

14. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    Cool thanks that works well!

15. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Does anyone know how people are able to show little rings whenever you click in the video? I've seen some videos where people do that.

16. mobilainteractive

Mar 6, 2009
    It's usually a property of capturing software.. I think iShowU HD can do this, although I disabled it for my video...

17. airzao

airzao Member

Dec 24, 2010
    It's far from perfect and definitely not very high-tec but for those of you that simply want to show how your app works, you can just video record from one iPhone to another, if you reduce the brightness on the object iPhone and do this in the dark. You'll then likely have a biggish file but it won't be too big for YouTube. See our vid on www.6zer0.com/pr as en example of this.

And if you need to rotate I can recommend this excellent freeware for flipping / rotating: http://download.cnet.com/Free-Video-Flip-and-Rotate/3000-2194_4-10763530.html

18. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

Just made this trailer for my first iPhone game (sent to apple will hopefully be approved by this week or next).

I used a combination of iSimulate, ScreenFlow 2 and Flash.

Let me know what you think.