best twitter app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dannys95, Dec 13, 2008.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    i'm using twitterfon. its clean, fast, and really i barely use it. i just use it to keep an eye on the devs. oh well, if a mod wants you can close the thread now.

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Ok, just to sort of summarize this thread, most people say this:

Best paid Twitter app: Tweetie

Best free Twitter app: Twitterfon

That's for anyone who's wondering. :)

PS I love both of them. Twitterfon is easily the best free one and Tweetie is the best especially at it's low price of $3.

3. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    #43 henr1kk, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    IMO, Twinkle is the best (free) app.
    I used Twiterrific for a while but didn't like it...
    Twinkle is really easy to use and it has a fantastic interface.

4. briansanderson

briansanderson Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
  5. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Twinkles greatest feature is the nearby view. But you can't really compare twinkle to other twitter clients - it is no twitter client.

6. Flowbee

Flowbee Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Tweetie has the 'Nearby' view, too.

7. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

No twitter client has a nearby search similar to twinkle because twitter does not save this information. What the twitter clients offer is a search for tweets written by persons near you. Twinkle displays the tweets written near you. That means, that in twinkle each tweet has the information saved where it was written, where in twitter this information is missing and all tweets show up at the location which is set in the twitter profile.

8. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I've got twittelator pro which seems to be the one i keep going back to ... although i have tweetie as well but there are a couple of things i don't like about tweetie.

9. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    TwitterFon is much better than Twitterific for what i need... which at this point is just playing around.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Twinkle if you're in to having your local feed stuffed with girls posting stupid crap and 14 different guys @-ing them back stuff like "hey girl how U DOIN" after every post.

Tweetie if you're actually using Twitter for anything else.

11. jpxdude

jpxdude Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    +1 for Twinkle

The Nearby feature is more of a dual function, and doesn't interfer with the Twitter portion as is implied above, it just links you also to the Tapulous server which only picks up nearby Twinkle 'tweets'.

It works reliably for me to keep up with my regular Twitter tweet feeds, as well as reading random tweets from other Twinkle users closeby.

12. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Please, do not mention Twinkle in a thread for Twitter clients. Twinkle is no Twitter client. It's a client for the Tapulous network. and the Tapulous network *tries* to sync itself to the Twitter network. When I say it tries it, I mean it fails with doing so. I used Twinkle on the 1.1.4 firmware (jailbroken) and now the bought version of the AppStore for months and then had enough. They are often out of sync with Twitter. You not only have the Twitter outages, but also the Tapulous outages. And you have some people who are only on the Tapulous network and not on Twitter. And when you have people on Twitter with the same name as OTHER people on the Tapulous network, the chaos is perfect. The block functionality is still broken and always forgets people which I blocked and there I could go on and on and on. It just sucks.

So, to come to a conclusion, Twinkle is no Twitter client, the Tapulous network tries to stay in sync with Twitter, which fails due to a number of obvious reasons, the software is buggy and gets very few updates.

Don't misunderstand me: I want to like Twinkle and used it for months, but Tapulous broke it, both with the software on your iPhone and with the software running on their servers.

Most other real Twitter clients also offer something similar to nearby based on the Twitter search. Due to Twitter not saving the location with tweets but in your profile (and therefore, all tweets are matched to this one location), this is something different than what Twinkle does, but it works most of the time. TwitterFon for example makes use of this location based search with autoupdates etc. in an outstanding form.

Edit: And there's also a new app called Lounge. They offer a Mac and iPhone client and plan to sync between both of them. The iPhone client feels a bit clunky, but they offer great features and integrate the search stuff like no other client does. The Mac client is better though.

13. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Tweetie all the way.

14. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    tweetie or twitterfon

15. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Since Twittelator Pro went to 2.0 i've gone back to it.... its now my #1 twitter app.

Twitterfon is my backup one but i have used Tweetie too and its cool too

Agree that Twinkle isn't the best way to go

16. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    +1 to Twitterfon! it works great!

17. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Twitterfon is clean, simple, and functional.

18. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

twitterific 0.o

19. rivgambino

rivgambino Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Had to revive this thread right quick as I am curious to see if Tweetie is still the best paid twitter app on the market? I currently have twitterfon and I like it but was thinking of upgrading very soon ( like tonight so someone just say yes so I can spend more app cash! ). Sorry for my sudden outburst, as I was saying....Tweetie = the bee's knees? Thanks

20. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    UMMMM tweetie please!