best twitter app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dannys95, Dec 13, 2008.

1. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, I have been using Twitter for a couple weeks now and I'm still confused on how some things work. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it and that's why I want to know which Twitter app is most worth the money. :)

2. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Mmhm :)

My personal favorite Twitter app is Twitterriffic, and I find Twinkle to be nice as well.

Oh, and thanks for following :D

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    ok, i shall try twitteriffic, not the premium though... not paying £6 for that kind of app.

4. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I'm really thinking about buying Tweetie. Right now, it looks to be the best Twitter app especially for the price. :)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    damn, so now i gotta try Tweetie too.

lol

6. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008

And as for the original question, Tweetie is by far the best. Twitterific has the better design, in my opinion, but Tweetie has a much more functional feature set. And with the latest update to Tweetie, there is a “simple” theme that is much better. It goes a long way towards matching even Twitterific in design.

With Tweetie, you can have multiple accounts. You can search for any term that you want, and you can view trends that are currently occurring on twitter across the public timeline. You can limit your results to direct messages, and you can even search for tweets that are geographically close to you.

Another great feature that I enjoy with Tweetie is that you can view that original tweet that someone’s @response is a reply to. And when you follow this, you can view the other persons recent messages, their profile, and you can see the people that they follow. You can also manage your account, on a rudimentary level, by following and unfollowing people. It also scrolls like butter.

If you are a casual user, or are just dabbling in twitter, you’ll probably be fine with one of the free alternatives. But if you are serious about twitter, and follow more than a dozen people, you can’t go wrong with Tweetie.

(I sound like a commercial.)

7. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thank you!! This helped me a lot and I've decided to get Tweetie :)

8. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    I just want something that opens to a text box, where I can type in my message, click SEND and be done with it.

9. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Twitterfon is my favorite free one. It does that + more. :)

10. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Thx for the Tweetie review, I'm seriously thinking of getting it now. :)

11. CraigLaw

CraigLaw Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Content & Community Manager, EA Mobile
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent post here. I'd also add it's the quickest Twitter app in all regards of it's functionality.

The only issue that I have with it (albeit minor) is that you have to manually refresh the tweets - there is no way to automatically display new tweets as they're sent. In all fairness, I don't think that most of the clients do this (for some reason Twinkle does).

I use Tweetie and am very happy with it. Definitely worth the few bucks if you are planning on using Twitter on a regular basis.

I'd say you sound more like an evangelist than a commercial :)

CL

12. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Actually, every time that I've used Tweetie so far, it has refreshed my tweets automatically. :) I think they must have updated it recently?

13. CraigLaw

CraigLaw Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Content & Community Manager, EA Mobile
    Los Angeles, CA
    #33 CraigLaw, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    Really? I have to hit the button at the top to see new tweets? Now I'm curious

CL

14. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Oh, Ok. Thanks for clearing that up

15. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    #35 field5, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    so how can I get info about iphone games on twitter? I installed twitterfon on my app....how do you guys get good updates? is there somethin glike toucharcade on twitter or something like that?
    thanks

16. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
  17. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Awesome! You rock spmwinkel!
    thanks alot!

18. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Glad I could help. :)

19. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    I use twitteriffic and can't complain, it does what i need and its free :D

i tried twinkle but really didn't get on with it

20. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I use Twitterfon.

I was a long-time Twinkle user since iPhone OS 1.1.4, but I got tired of the lack of updates, the unknown-server-errors and the bugs in their functions (block still does not work, you can still get private messages from people, you don't follow, twitter/tapulous-bridge is still unreliable etc. etc.). Since I hate Twitteriffic I took a look on other apps and then found Twitterfon. It's great. It's free. It has a self-filling address book, an interface wich is optimized for few taps and even a location based search and full-text search.

The dev brings out updates very fast, responds to EVERY tweet and you have access to their ticket system and roadmaps.