Best Twitter App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bamafan12, May 24, 2009.

1. bamafan12

bamafan12 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    What is the best available Twitter app based on, obviously, which is the best, and on price?...

2. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I like Tweetie the most.

3. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i think theres only 2 [app]TwitterFon[/app]
    and [app]TwitterFon Pro[/app]
    you can check out which each one does since twitterfon is the free version of twitterfon pro
    not a twitter user so yeah i dont know all the info ha
    hope that helps :D

edit:guess theres tweetie too, my bad
    [app]tweetie[/app]

4. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    There is way more than those two.

5. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    lol yeah way way more at least 10

been using Twitterific at the moment

6. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    eh not a twiter fan and thats all i found except tweetie which i edited my post about, my bad.

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Tweetie uses GPS to find nearby tweets. I like to use Twitter to keep up to date with local events so that is the perfect choice for me.

8. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i like twitterfon the best

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    twitterrific improved beyond recognition with the last update, so if you have not tried or only tried and old version - give it a go....its free which helps :)

10. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Just check Twitterfon, Tweetie, Lounge and Twitteriffic. All four make different things good and different things bad.

I currently prefer Tweetie - it was the first multi-account-twitter client on the iPhone, so I had no choice, but uses Twitterfon before (which i REALLY fast!). Now, all mentioned clients support multiple twitter accounts and I'll wait what features of the great Tweetie Mac client will make its way back into the iPhone version of Tweetie. Then I'll stay with Tweetie or switch back to Twitterfon Pro.

11. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I don't get why Tweetie is so popular. It lacks the most basic function of a Twitter client: Marking new Tweets! You never know if there are new Tweets in the other two sections (Mentions, Messages) unless you switch to these. So this is a no-go for me (and it was criticized by iLounge a long time ago, but they don't change this strange behavior).

TwitterFon Pro can everything Tweetie can do, but with a better interface and a brilliant support.

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Okay, okay... I'm switching. Stop yelling at me. :p

Seriously though, I am not really a Twitter power user. Tweetie has been just fine for me. But I will look into TwitterFon if it will make you happy.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I use Tweetie and Twitteriffic.

Tweetie because it's super intuitive to use. I like being able to swipe on a tweet and being able to quick reply, see the user's profile, or mark it as a favorite.

The only time I use Twitteriffic (free version) is when I wake up in the morning or am unable to check my account for long periods of time. That way I can see @ and d messages in the different colors in the timeline. I like the interface but I'm so used to Tweetie's interface that it takes me forever to do the same things.

Atebits is also working on the new 2.0 update to tweetie which is based off the code used for the desktop version (Which I also use, free version available) so I'd rather not jump ship when I know I'll be running back real soon ;)

14. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    So did you ever try TwitterFon (Pro)? You can do all the things you mentioned just with one single tap - no need for a swipe first.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I used Twitterfon, not the pro one but I wasn't able to do all that in one tap

In Twitterfon you can:
    tap an icon to make it a favorite
    tap the user icon to add them to a tweet
    or
    tap on the text to have another screen come up to read the full tweet, view what client they used, buttons to reply, DM, RT, view profile, or view the timeline

In Tweetie you can:
    you tap on a tweet and you get a screen to view the full text, View what client they used, reply, view profile, favorite, RT, Link to that Tweet, Email the link, Repost the link, or add to Instapaper

a short and quick swipe on a tweet give you three icons Reply, User, Favorite. When I hold my phone in my right hand (which I usually do) the reply icon is right under my thumb, activates, and i can start typing.

---

I'm not a fan of the numbers for replies and DMs. Cause I see replies in my timeline anyways adding a separate notification just means I have to open that section and scroll to the top. I get a ton of replies a day from the different people following me so that gets annoying (The desktop version of Tweetie notifies for @ tweets). When I get a DM I have Twitter send me a text message so I'm sure to get it the instant it comes in so a notification is useless to me.

That doesn't mean Twitterfon is bad by any means, (again I only used the free version) it just doesn't do things the way I like.

---

Does the Pro version offer up anything worth upgrading for?

16. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I use TwitterFon Advertised version. It's ok, but it gets the job done non-the-less.

17. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    No, not quite right:
    - Tap on the star -> Make it a favorite
    - Tap on the the user icon -> Reply
    - You always can see the full tweet, no need to tap on it
    - Tap on a link or a mention to follow the link or see the details of the mentioned user
    - Tap on the text -> Other screen for the profile, timeline, RT, DM

So just ONE click for reply or make it a favorite, no need to swipe first.

As I said, a marking of new tweets (with a different color and/or a number tag) is a must for me and really THE most important function of any Twitter client. Do you read all the last tweets every time you open Tweetie just to know if there are any new ones? :confused:

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I thought the timeline in twitterific wasn't full text of the tweet but maybe everyone was just doing smaller tweets which is unusual for the people I follow.

Well in tweetie it keeps you on the last tweet that you were on. so scrolling up is all the new ones. That's why I use Twitteriffic when I wake up. It does the same thing but notifies you of the number of new posts. The colors it uses aren't as subtle as the ones tweetie uses either. So I skim for color first, then I start reading the rest.

19. Chrono

Chrono Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Twitterrific 2.0 (or Premium ads-free) > beatiful UI, standard twitter features, themes, mark tweets, profile notes, search user, check user replys, instant paper, multiple account, etc

20. SomeRandomGuy18

SomeRandomGuy18 Active Member

Apr 11, 2009