iPad Best Tower Defense game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by fpugirl, Oct 30, 2008.

1. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I have never tried a Tower Defense game before, but after reading all of the forums on here, I would like to try one. I know there are a few out now, with Fieldrunners seeming to be the most popular (although everyone wants an update). Can someone suggest which is the best bang for my buck? I'd prefer to only buy one. And I'd like one that will give me a good amount of play time. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Fieldrunners is the best I've tried, even without the upcoming update.

I'm still undecided about buying besiegement, but I'm curious what others think about it.

3. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Fieldrunners without a doubt!! An update that adds sound and a whole host of new features is due out shortly. Its very addictive and cute. As a first time TD player (unless Age of Empires counts!) I found Mote-M difficult to grasp for a beginner. There was too much going on without much explanation. I gave it a few tries but just came away dazed and confused. With Fieldrunners - you dont need to know anything - the interface is clean and simple. As soon as the game starts - it is pretty straight forward, although there is a mini help guide within the game if you need it. Fieldrunners is much more simple and that makes working out your strategies much more fun. It's the first game I have played on the iPhone for more than an hour straight. Definitely recommend it!

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Exactly. I can only enjoy Mote-m now that I've played Fieldrunners. I first, I thought it was a dumb concept. After Fieldrunners, I'm liking the genre a lot.

5. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Field Runners
    Once the update comes it will be far better then mote m or anyother ones.

6. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Hrm. I agree that it is difficult to enjoy Mote-M without prior experience in TD games - I've been playing these kinds of games for a while, and I still find Mote-M too hard! However, as fun as Fieldrunners is, I'm going to have to actually recommend Besiegement over it, especially for a newcomer.

Here's my rationale: First off, I don't think that we can really judge games by taking into account promised updates that haven't actually arrived yet. Having said that, I feel that Besiegement is a more complete and accessible game. Fieldrunners, as fun as it is, still requires a grasp of basic TD sense, both with mazing and getting a sense of how to properly spend your resources. I find resource management to be very important in Fieldrunners, especially because there are only 4 towers. However, truth be told, I've only played Fieldrunners on hard mode.

Besiegement, on the other hand, eases you into TD games better, I think. Most of the levels have it so you don't need to worry about mazing at all. Furthermore, the levels in Besiegement, with the medals system, encourages you to try new towers, and it's far more forgiving in this respect than Fieldrunners. Furthermore, I just feel like there's more to do in Besiegement. There are quite a few stages, each with different maps and enemies, in the Story Mode, not to mention a Challenge mode. To get the most out of Fieldrunners, on the other hand, once you more or less figure out what you're doing, requires you to continually nitpick and make minor tweaks to your tower layout. It gets a bit tedious, especially given that there's only one map.

So yeah, because I feel that at this point, Besiegement is more forgiving (at least initially) and offers more value, I'd recommend it over Fieldrunners. It's also $1 cheaper, I think.

7. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    besiegement for the way...

it has lots of levels (most of them around 20 waves each) in a "story" mode and challenges as well (50 waves in a maze map, "only-arrows" on a path field, etc...)

the graphics aren't too shabby either, great fun! fieldrunners is ALL ABOUT graphics, which is awesome, but you will be paying for the graphics, not depth / gameplay.

mote-m is cheaper than fieldrunners and has the same concept. idefend is too much of a "pattern" TD, no strategy at all - you just figure out where to place a specific tower and you win... short waves (like 3-7 per level) and only 36 "puzzles" to be solved.

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Can i make a future prediction? I am gonna say Crystal Defenders is going to pwn the competition!................. In about 8 months

9. fpugirl

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I was pretty set on fieldrunners but now I'm torn between that and besiegement. I might have to get both because everyone has great points about each!

10. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Can you wait a month or so? I have a feeling something else might show up. Hehe.

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Why so cryptic? What can you share with us?

12. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't know what he's getting at exactly, but there should be a zombie TD pretty soon. I would assume it'd come out on Halloween, but I don't know. It's made by IUGO who made Toy Robot Diaries.

Also, there's the big updates for Fieldrunners and Besiegement, and that new one from the guys who made Final Fantasy. If Knight is actually owrking on something, I hope it's good.

13. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Sorry dude, maybe I shouldn't have made that post. Yes I am working on something but I don't really want to say anything for two reasons:
    1. I get turned off by devs that announce stuff before its done
    2. I don't want to promise anything and not deliver on it. There are a lot of hurdles that one must go through before the game shows up on the AppStore, with the biggest hurdle being Apple themselves taking forever in the review, or outright rejecting it.

Hopefully I can post something in a few weeks here that will make the decision for the OP even tougher. But regardless of that, I have played Fieldrunners and Mote-M and both are great in their own ways, given the price differences. Mine will compete more with Fieldrunners though. I also want to state that mine has been in dev since start of August, before I even found out about Mote-M, let alone Fieldrunners.

14. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Hahhaaa pwn doesn't even explain it. It will super pwn all other TDs :D

15. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Best TD game? That's tough. IMO, all of the current offerings were released prematurely and require updates to make them complete. I own Fieldrunners, Mote-M, and Besiegement - of the three, I'd say Besiegement is most complete (a 'story' line, challenges, online scoring, variety of towers and maps, etc) ... Fieldrunners looks the best (although there's only one map) and Mote-M has the best modes IMO - a sandbox mode and a no-flying mode, both of which should be offered in the other two games (except Besiegment, where all the baddies are grounded) ...

I don't know. I'm kind of getting tired of developers releasing incomplete games, where we are forced to pay to be beta testers. It would be great if the games were actually COMPLETE by the time we paid for them.

16. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Its going to have to be good once field runners and beisgement get an update and once final fantasy comes out. if its not good his sales will go down, down, down

17. fpugirl

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I took the plunge and bought Fieldrunners and have already spent WAY too many hours on it! Thinking of buying Besiegement once I'm done with this one because I really like this genre. I think I might have a new addiction :) Thanks for all of the great advice!

18. Hannes

Hannes Member

Oct 30, 2008
    I will buy Fieldrunners too.

It looks good. And when I enjoy it I would too buy Besiegement.

This Genre has potential, so I hope that Crystal Defenders come soon.

19. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    So, after two more weeks of play... How do people feel about tower defence games now? This seems to be the kind of game with lots of replay value, and therefore worth the money...

20. Hannes

Hannes Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Hi,

I have play Fieldrunners a lot and I LOVE it!
    The genre is much better than I had think :)