Best Threes/2048 Clones

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, Mar 9, 2015.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #1 retr0spective, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Greetings,

Please share your favorite Threes/2048 clones and derivative games.

WHERE IT ALL STARTED

[​IMG]
    Threes! By Sirvo Review

Meticulously crafted and well deserving of its critical acclaim, this genre defining game was a collaboration of leading designers.

[​IMG]
    2048 by Ketchapp Article

A simplified freeware version of threes. Now all tiles move to the edge with each swipe and only like tiles can be combined. (No more initial 1/2 combination)

CLONES AND DERIVATIVES

[​IMG]
    1024 by Jason Saxon Appshopper

Threes graphical style with 2048 gameplay and some additional modes.

[​IMG]
    2048 Match 3 by Mikhail Akopov Appshopper

Basic 2048 graphical style combined with match 3 (only) gameplay. Instead of swiping you switch 2 tiles to combine groups of three. These groups retract into a single tile with double the value of the original tiles. It is not as intuitive as the original but somehow still works.

[​IMG]
    2048 Retro by Julius Sewing Appshopper

2048 beautifully rendered into a retro Gameboy graphical style. Unfortunately the sounds effects and music are lacking and could use a good chiptune downgrade.

[​IMG]
    7 Pips by unexpect3rd Appshopper

This resembles 2048 in some ways such as the basic layout and use of numbered tiles. However it is different enough not to qualify as a clone. You place tiles individually and depending on the color, a value is added or subtracted from the surrounding tiles. 7's are taken off the board. It is a well conceived and designed game

[​IMG]
    City 2048 by Andrew Kyznetsof Appshopper

Basic 2048 gameplay with easily identifiable city building progression instead of numbers.

[​IMG]
    Colords by Fernando Ruiz Thread

This game combines 2048 gameplay with light RPG elements. The main board consists of four color coded and numbered classes. You upgrade the attack power of your classes by combining tiles. At right side of the board is a random selection of color coded enemies of progressively increasing strength. You defeat them by sliding corresponding classes of equal or greater value onto them. The resulting gameplay is very difficult but constitutes an enjoyable departure from the standard gameplay.

[​IMG]
    RPSwipe by Ahmed Khalifa Forum

This is one of the most intricate and strategic of the clones. It adds several layers onto the basic 2048 game. Tiles come in red and blue colors with rock, paper, or scissors emblems. Combine like tiles to increase the value of the emblem. Tiles of equal or greater value cancel analogous tiles of the opposing color. Blue scores from canceling red. It can also be played with multiplayer or against an AI. Overall an excellent take on the original formula.

[​IMG]
    SideSwype by Radiangames Review

This is a color-based block sliding game reminiscent of 2048 in terms of gameplay style. However, it has a match-3 foundation with numbered blocks representing higher match requirements in addition to special action blocks. Everything Radiangames touches turns to gold, and this is no exception.

[​IMG]
    Templar 2048 by Daesung Park Forum

Basic 2048 gameplay with easily identifiable medieval social class progression instead of numbers.

2. iamagame

iamagame Active Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Gabriele Cirulli created original 2048 and ketchapp's 2048 is a clone of it, isn't it?

3. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I downloaded 2048 way back when to see what all the fuss was about, and it did nothing for me. I bought Threes because I heard it was so much superior, but I really didn't feel any difference. I read about City 2048 just now in this post, grabbed it -- and now I "get" it. I guess it just took a theme that I care about for it really click with me. I'm loving it. Thanks!

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Threes and Sideswype for me. Tried the others, and everything felt like a clone.

5. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Circulli originally released 2048 as open source software. I believe Ketchapp was the first to put it on mobile. It is not a clone but the original game. I also believe that Circulli denied basing his game off of Threes. In practice, however, it is a simplified version of Threes. There are no "1's" and tiles move completely to the edges instead of one space at a time.

They are all fun games, and if you can get past the stigma of clones, other people, either inspired by the success or gameplay of the originals, have done some interesting things with the basic formula.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... Despite a slew of clones, i recommend getting at least 1 threes-type game, no matter which one.

7. smotchgames

smotchgames New Member

Mar 21, 2015
  8. dcbro155

dcbro155 Active Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Game dev. Spent too much time converting Coffee in
    Somewhere between the worlds
    Tentis

Hey guys,

I made a game called Tentis. This is not a clone, but it was inspired by Threes in the tile cuteness paradigm. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. Basically, I made this game for number lovers like Threes/2048 fans (because I'm one of them); however I did not want to make a clone, but something new and different. Tell me what you think!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1128718662

9. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Hero Slide is the king of these swipe and slide types of games if you ask me.
    Even though it doesn't count I guess because there's no "combining".

Also Bad Banker is good