Best site to be featured on

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jDun1212, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    So I've been trying to get some exposure for Swangle recently and just thought I would check with y'all and see what websites had the most impact on downloads.

So far Padgadget has had the best results in terms of downloads.

anyone else want to add to the list?

2. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

The better question is how did you get reviewed :)?

Matthew

3. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    This is the best one, by miles.

But don't expect miracles - to have sustained downloads from reviews, you need them spitting out regularly all over the place. A single isolated review, even a good one, won't have much of an effect after a day or two - they don't stay visible for long.

4. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Which is the best one by miles?

I agree with the sustained requirement, however if there was just one. So other developers could have an idea where to focus their attention

5. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    This one ;)

Touch Arcade.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well i just hope you dont everestimate the reach of any website including this..

if you compare ta pageviews with the number of total ios users.. youll find there is quite an margin..

core website like ta or many others are not the focus of the majority out there

which are casual

getting on the mainpage of ta does not mean success for you just more exposure..

your product has to shine, because if a bad game gets more exposure, well more people know its bad :)

then again not even being featured by apple means anything (except pick of the week)

there are more than enough devs who will tell you the same..

then of course goals varry alot.. for some 50$ a day is more than they earn in a month and for some other this means just a bit more change in the pocket..

on the other site ta and the other big sites are getting bombarded daily with review request etc.. so maybe getting on a smaller blog or so would be easier because achieveable

7. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Most of my data is a over a year old now but I saw my biggest sales boost after a TUAW post, with Touch Arcade reviews close behind. IGN was less than half of those, and most other sites aren't worth mentioning if you're talking about a direct immediate effect on sales.

All those pale to Apple features though.

8. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    The challenge with TA or TUAW is that we are always speaking to converted audience, meaning that people that read this sites are already heavy gamers or developers. These people tend to be very strong gamers with strong gaming sense, and as important as they are, you need to branch out to bigger audience.

If you game is about girls and makeup, chances are appearing on a local beauty mag has a better contribution than TA. And if your game is Triple town, appearing in Sudoku quiz book is greater than TA, at least if gives you a more targeted audience.