Best Shmup?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Esty H2O, Oct 4, 2010.

1. #101 Youtopia, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Any addition to this?

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Lightning Fighter 2. Sadly I can't really recommend it personally due to the pay model. I don't even mind that it's a rehash of the original LF, but they killed it with the IAP scheme.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've played more and more shmups since my last post, so here's my most recent list :p:

Phoenix HD
    Danmaku Unlimited 2
    Darius Burst
    Sine Mora

4. Add Sine Mora on my list of shmup recommends:

Sine Mora HDMI and iCade Report!

Well, first good news on the iCade front, we got icade to be put into Sine Mora!!! Woo hoo!!! Expect it in a future update.

Now, this is a game that you have to play on HDMI. Not only does it have some of the smoothest boss animations on ios, but since the screen only displays on about 1/2 the screen on an ipad, HDMI is where it is at! As you can see in my screenshots, there is a HUGE difference in screen space on the TV vs my ipad 3. So much so, that it is shocking. Now, with icade support and HDMI, well, this game will totally rock.

If you notice here, I am using the most zoomed in version of my TV zoom capability. With that, it uses about 3/4 of my TV screen without losing anything, and keeping the correct aspect ratios.

Also, if you have an ipad 3, turn off screen shake, for pretty good framerates playing on TV. And crank the sound up real loud cause with this setup, it plays really well.

Highly recommend trying out HDMI and icade on Sine Mora. This will be the new standard in ipad games in the future, full console support. Awesome TV support for games like this which use borders, and awesome joystick support which the developer states, he will add in Apple joystick support in the future. Coolness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Trying to remember a game. It was more of an evasion shmup like Fireball but you would make black holes to suck in enemies

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
  7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Has anyone said Hyperlight

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Aight aight. I would classify them as "enemy hell" games. Rather than bulltet hell

9. But shmups first word is shoot. It's almost like FPS, it would be like saying Lili is an FPS.

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I dunno. On closer examination, the only really damning IAP integration is that continues don't reset the score and are an alternate currency exclusive. The other stuff that's useful for actual performance falls within the same category as a lot of stuff that can be found in games with no IAP. I just think they goofed in thinking that since the original LF integrated continue use with the scoring, that they should just stick with that in LF2. Seeing as I'm not THAT good at the game anyway, I can live with the possibility of people buying better scores than I can get.

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Unlike Lili in relation to FPSs, those games draw largely upon the same skillset as a shmup though.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh I was agreeing with you haha

13. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Page 11 before someone mentions Sine Mora? Oh, and even though it is on the PC and will likely never see an iOS port, Jamestown is a vert shmup that has a killer theme and soundtrack and is worth picking up through a humble bundle.

14. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    There was one on android that reminded me of that. Thanks for the memories on that. I hope jamestown gets ported to ios

15. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    Pheonix HD is very cool, but a thin interface to say the least and this form of IAP terrorism is simply not acceptable. I should be able to grind for other ships, this is just money grubbing.

This engine with the view pulled out a little could be the best shmup going, but when you have an IAP boot in your face it doesn't feek like there is much point in continuing to play after you have pushed through all the basic enemies. I really enjoy the game but I would have rather shelled out a couple of more dollars for a FULL game than this.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Really? I find Pheonix HD's pay model to be perfectly acceptable

17. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I justed checked Steam if Jamestown is available for Mac, which it is.
    Looks really great, thanks for the recommendation.

18. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    It is worth it for the soundtrack alone.

19. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    If you don't already have it, Icarus-X is now free so now is the time.