Best Shmup?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Esty H2O, Oct 4, 2010.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Agree with almost everything here. Surprised that I think Connector was the only one to mention Raiden Legacy, it's a fantastic group of ports and stands beside the Cave games, Space Tripper and Dariusburst SP as my favorites on iOS.

And, don't get me wrong, Phoenix HD is outstanding, but for some reason I prefer stage based games. Probably just because I love these games but suck enough that I'm not a high score chaser. So different stages provides me with more sense of accomplishment. Just my preference.

Also agree that Plasma Sky is worthy of addition to non-bullet hell shumps.

2. Totally awesome on hdmi tv and with an icade core joystick!

Attached Files:

3. Dang, you're going to make me work aren't yah?

I don't know if anyone wrote down Icarus X, but it is a great shmup that doesn't get recognition and is one of the few ipad retina games!!!

Attached Files:

4. Out of the ones on my system

Syder arcade hd
    Toon shooters
    Super crossfire hd
    Parallax 2
    Icarus X
    Hyperwave
    Buster spirits
    Space inflaters
    Rrootage hd
    Phoenix hd
    Air attack hd

There are others like Danmaku 2 and Dariusburst which are very close.

Too bad there aren't too many, and that Cave games are not retina. I look forward to an ipad retina Deathsmiles one day.

Screenshot of snyder arcade hd

Attached Files:

5. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Does anyone know why the EA published port of R-Type has been pulled from the app store? (the TG-16 Gamebox version is still available, thankfully)

*slightly off topic* All R-Types were pulled from the Wii VC as well... was there a licensing issue?

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They're gone from PSN too. I searched the web and couldn't find any info anywhere as to why. I think perhaps the TG16 version was simply overlooked so we're lucky there.

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    What's tg16?

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #68 Royce, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    TurboGrafx-16.

Seems like the only port of R-Type (or any of its sequels) still available is the one you can get in this app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/turbografx-16-gamebox/id406585960?mt=8

Edit: actually didn't Hudson close up shop? Maybe there's just no one in a position to pull the app anymore. I hope that doesn't mean it will disappear whenever their license expires :(

9. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    It's a shame Gridlee is gone. ESP. Ra De, R-Type Leo and Gunbird 2 are my all time favs and it's a shame they can't be found on the App Store

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hmm... Glad I didn't delete R-Type off my 2G.

11. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Anyone know of good shmups with on screen controls?

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I don't particularly like it, but quite a few people do like the controls used in Shogun...

And yes... I know the whole "they did what they did to avoid on-screen controls" thing, but the fact remains, there's controls, and they're buttons that appear on the screen... = on-screen controls.

13. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah it's a strange one. I just prefer using controllers/icade for shmups so I can see the ship. On screen controls let me do this.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmm... I dunno if they support the iCade, but RayStorm and RayForce have on screen controls...

Neoteria has on screen controls too, and definitely does have iCade support...

15. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Thanks heaps

16. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    You can still get R-Type Leo from the Irem Arcade Hits in the App Store. Awesome game. Has an almost... ethereal quality to it that I really like. It will cost you $9.99, but for that and all the other games in the collection, it's more than worth it. And don't believe the reviews stating there is no windowed mode or controller support - it's there. Though, the sound emulation has a very subtle skipping quality to it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irem-arcade-hits/id448636438?mt=12

17. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    #77 Issac, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Thank you for the effort! Yeah... I might have to grab the TG-16 version before it disappears...

Edit: I found this

"The PC Engine version of R-Type was one of the first games confirmed for Nintendo's Virtual Console. The North American and European versions include all eight levels while the Japanese release is split between two downloads, mirroring the original release formats for each region respectively. A Sega Master System version became available for Japan on May 19, 2009, for North America on November 2, 2009 and for Europe on September 25, 2009, however due to licensing issues, this version has been delisted on September 30, 2011 in North America and Europe[15] and October 18, 2011 in Japan."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-Type

18. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Oh cool thanks alot!!

19. You mean like a joypad controls not like relative or direct touch right? There's a few of them, but I never prefer this control, unless of course if it is icade. I like icade too much over relative or direct touch controls.

20. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah but also on screen controls makes blutrol possible as well :)