Best RSS Reader for iDevice?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by butters, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #21 Adams Immersive, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    Here's the setup I want:

* Browser-based RSS tracking for use on my Mac. NOT a separate app.

* Simple and uncluttered, please--just a list that fits a ton of headlines at once glance! I love Safari's RSS reader for that reason (only it doesn't sync with iPhone). I really just want one dense list of articles (gathered from a dozen feeds) by date.

* NOT Google (because I don't like being logged into Google at all times).

* An iPhone app that syncs what I have read (in both directions) with that browser-based reader.

* Reasonably known/trusted, privacy-protected sources for all of the above.

I currently have iPhone NetNewsWire and NewsGator.com (which is still more cluttered than I'd like and shows too few stories at once). But I haven't really started using them anyway. Any recommendations for me? :)

2. Tarant

Tarant New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    ByLine all the way. Avoid SmartRSS2.

I use ByLine each and everyday to read/sync my Google Reader account. It works perfectly and I cannot recommend ByLine enough, especially if you need TRUE two-way Google Reader syncing.

I did purchase and try SmartRSS2 which advertises two-way syncing with Google Reader BUT that is not true. SmartRSS2 does not do proper 2-way syncing with Google Reader. I contacted the company behind SmartRSS2 and had to wait over a month for a responce. The best advice they could offer over the problems I was having with SmartRSS2 was "Maybe I dont have a Gmail account"! :). Total rubbish.

Just my thoughts...

3. irene1975

irene1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
  4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Anything out there that syncs to a service OTHER than Google Reader or News Gator?

(Nothing against News Gator, but if I can find even better, I'll take it!)

5. rcloudsoftware

rcloudsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Butters (or any of you), which of the Free RSS readers did you land on? Most of the recs I've seen are all for apps between $5-$10, which is a little more than I want to spend on my initial venture into iPhone rss readers. Once I find a free one I like...if I find that I use it consistently and want more features, then I'll look into buying one that fits my usage pattern.

Thanks
    Ryan