Best RSS Reader for iDevice?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by butters, Feb 25, 2009.

1. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I've been searching for a good App that can handle RSS-Feeds and so far i've found

Free RSS Reader
    Pro RSS Reader
    RSS Runner
    RSS Probe
    NetNewsWire
    The black RSS Reader
    Feed Reader
    Daisy Feed

So two questions:
    1) Are there any other RSS Readers on the Appstore?
    2) Which Reader can you recommend? (I don't mind paying for an App.)

My Device is NOT jailbroken, so only Apps available in the Appstore please...

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    There are tons of other readers out there.
    Which reader is best for you depends on if you use Google reader or not.

I use Gazette its has served me well and is similar to Byline.
    The advantage with these two readers is that they sync with your google reader account.

Two other good readers are Newsstand and Manifesto.
    They are great stand alone readers but you can only import your Google bookmarks, you can't sync with Google.

3. butters

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I researched a little more and found some more readers, but i think i'll go with 'Manifesto' or 'Pro RSS Reader' (tending towards 'Manifesto')...

'Smart RSS2' looks really good, but i will not get it as long as i have to register for the App.

4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i use JS reader

its not great, but with every update it gets better...i like the read offline mode
    eventually i will want to update to a better RSS reader, i have a few of the ones you mentioned on appsniper in the meantime

5. butters

Feb 4, 2009
    #5 butters, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    Well i got the lite version of JS and i did not like it at all. That's why i will try Manifesto (gonna get it later on today). As soon as i've gotten into it a bit, i'll be sure to leave some feedback on here.

EDIT: Well i have tested Manifesto and it works, but somehow i feel not satisfied. Everything's very simple and lacks something i cannot put my hands on right now. Just seems not rounded... Well for now Manifesto is ok with me, but i will have a look-out for another App in the future.

6. agentmouthwash

Dec 6, 2008
    I went from Manifesto to Smart RSS2 and I am happier.

Smart RSS2 is faster loading the feeds + true google reader sync - Something that Manifesto didn't have.

The interface might be a little too fancy for it's own good though.. and you can't customize it, but it's a new app and needs an update. I recommend it over Manifesto though... I tried a bunch of RSS apps and even paid for a bunch and I think its the best one so far.

7. Walker33

Walker33 Well-Known Member

I can suggest rssRunner by GoldenApps, good app well laid out.

8. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Byline has great Offline features (load pics & websites). I wont recommend Manifesto, because the developer hasn't done any updates for months.

9. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I'd avoid Manifesto also. I think the developer has a heavy school load so it doesn't see the attention it needs. Also, in my case Manifesto was the cause of my backups in iTunes never completing (yes that was tested and proven. Again, that's in my case, your results may vary)

Feeds is pretty good, last update brought a lot of great features, but in my case I'm getting too many crashes from it. It's very good otherwise so I'll give it a go again after the next update.

I wish NNW would add some of the features other readers have, it's been my standby all along and I've always gone back to it.

Best of luck!

Rich

10. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I use Newsstand. It is great and the developers provide frequent updates and fixes

11. butters

Feb 4, 2009
    Well i went with Manifesto (before the whole lot of you replied) and as i said i'm not too fond of it. It works and it does not crash or anything (at least for me), but i'm just not satisfied with it.

@agentmouthwash: Do you still need to register for Smart RSS2?

@rixm: What do you like about NNW? I tried it, but i couldn't stand it...

12. agentmouthwash

Dec 6, 2008
    I actually don't remember registering for Smart RSS2 at all. It loads the feeds faster than Manifesto and does true google reader syncing.

What features are you looking for?

13. ness_

ness_ Member

Feb 19, 2009
    ;student
    ;California
    I prefer Newsstand, it stood out to me the most, imo.

14. butters

Feb 4, 2009
    @agent: I don't care about google syncing, but i do care about folders, reliability and swiftness. Manifesto lacks on all of those...

15. .istopmotion

.istopmotion Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    in California
    I like manifesto and newsstand. Both really good rss readers

16. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I have used both Doppler and Byline and there is something with Doppler that i cant point out that makes me use that mostly.

17. agentmouthwash

Dec 6, 2008
    it's definitely swifter than Manifesto. Not sure what you mean by folders though.. one thing I love about Smart RSS2 is the "open in Safari" feature.

You can also bookmark a feed that you like, but I think they all do that. As far as reliability goes - all RSS readers crash!

18. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Noop they dont! i havent have one crash in Byline and only one with Doppler.
    I bought Feeds yesterday and darn that app is hopeless! sometimes it syncs and sometimes it dont.
    Sometime it syncs but you cant see the feeds and then suddenly when you restart it it shows everything. it got some huge probs.

19. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    well I use the standard www.google.com ireader and for the most part it does the job. I only really use it when I've got a wifi or cell signal,so not that worried about offline caching (and the time it takes at starting up)

The only things I wished it would do, was show an expanded view when Wifi is on (similar to the desktop version) rather than just a few lines of each article, with embedded gfx, and the ability to browse more than 15 items at once.

I bought Gazette to see if that is any better, but apart from the offline side, it's worse that google.com's ireader (you can't select to browse a whole folder for example)

so still not the perfect reader for me yet.

20. agentmouthwash

Dec 6, 2008
    That I would agree with. While I like Smart RSS2, it's not perfect so I am not sure if I should even recommend it. I wish Google would work on an RSS App instead of thr web app.