Best RPG?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twazzock, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Aside from Zenonia, what are some decent RPGs on the iPhone, preferably ones reminiscent of the 16 bit RPGs on the SNES/Genesis?

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Vay and PuzzleQuest (lite version)

3. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    PuzzleQuest, but honestly, NOT ONE game has come close to competing with Zenonia. Not ONE.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  5. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    It's just I've heard Zenononia has a lot of problems atm, and it didn't really grab me when I tried it on a friends iPod. So I've decided to wait until it's fixed before I invest myself in it.

6. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Problems? No Problems at all!

7. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    yeah zenonia runs flawlessly, they even fixed the controls and there a bit better as well, there's no problems with it

8. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Lol, "Zenononia". :D

What kind of problems did you hear about? Because as far as I know it works pretty good.
    Plus there's a lite version available now.

9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Zenonia is the only good RPG available for the iPhone right now.
    Maybe try Vay if you like classics with low quality graphics.
    Aside from those two there really aren't any good ones.

10. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Zenonia, is the only RPG I've enjoyed playing on the iPhone so far, and I'm pretty sure I've tried all the popular ones...

I'm just waiting for the next good one... a cool turn based one with a good story and western stylings... i.e. I'm not playing as a 13year old boy with blue hair and a giant sword!! If they made a D&D universe (forgotten realms pref.) game with the core gameplay of something like final fantasy, I'd be hooked!

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    PuzzleQuest. :D

12. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ergh, i hate that people say puzzlequest is a RPG... I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying that lol. It's a puzzle game with RPG elements....lol, but I do NOT count it as a RPG.... it is a exceedingly fun game though :p

13. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    the quest is an amazing rpg it is indepth and though the graphics cant match zenonia's I personally enjoy it more than zenonia.

14. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    PuzzleQuest is like saying Defender Chronicles is an RPG too, although it has RPG elements, it is not specifically a RPG

But there is Underworlds and The Quest.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    There are no other rpgs :D

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Probably Wolfenstein RPG, dammit, but I may never find out!

17. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    Get The quest and it's expansion, great game and they just updated the quest with new stuff.

18. songkranw

songkranw Well-Known Member

Sorcerer 1&2

Free and very hard recommend for hardcore only but worth the time.

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I think The Quest is the best RPG so far, but I'm somewhat biased in that I don't really like the old 16 bit console style RPGs like Vay and Zenonia. I played Vay and tried the Zenonia lite version and just couldn't get into it. The Quest is a more mature (graphics, language, themes, etc.) game than Zenonia, etc., and it has a LOT of depth. Definitely worth the $5/6.

Underworlds is really nice if you like the Diablo style RPG. Only issue with that one is that it's way too short (though if you can get it during one of its $1 sales, it's definitely worth it).

Arvale is ok - good length and decent graphics/sound, but it gets a little boring/repetitive after a while. I finished the first one, but have no plan on getting the new one.

Dragon's Bane is pretty good too if you like really old school RPGs (it's fashioned after the Bard's Tale series from the 80s). Haven't played it on the iphone, but I did play it on my old Treo - was quite fun (but I was also a huge fan of Bard's Tale).

I tried Sorcerer 1 and 2, and just couldn't get into them. I used to play that type of game back in the 80s as well (even wrote a very small one of my own back in college), but I think Dragon's Bane is better. Just too many translation and user interface issues with Sorcerer (plus, without a map, you kinda need to hand-map the levels so you don't get lost - the iphone just isn't that type of gaming device for me). However, they are free as mentioned above. If you like difficult, hardcore, old school RPGs, then you might like them.

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    For the quest, if you consider getting it, I would greatly suggest trying the lite out for at least 10 minutes before deciding if you're into it or not.

Underworlds-worth it during the sales like mentioned. It's said to be having an update in the very near future that will "double" the gameplay.

Arvale-I thought it was pretty cool too. Idk what other games I can say it's similiar too...I guess pokemon in a way. But ya, you wouldn't wanna play it more than once.

Vay-classic final fantasy game play but has some difficult interfaces and menus that don't work too great.