Best relaxation app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Fome, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Fome

Fome Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    I'm looking for an app with really nice relaxing sounds. I've tried ambiance, and found that its sounds don't have the binaural realism I want. Any suggestions?

2. For general noise, White Noise is my favourite.

For great ambient background music-style sounds, the AmbiScience series is awesome. (Not too fond of most of the tracks in their latest Android's Oddysey release, but the others are most excellent.) They also feature isochronic beats for entraining your brain for various moods; I can't comment on the efficacy of isochronic beats myself, but the AmbiScience apps are a buck a piece and two of them have free lite versions that are worth trying, just so you can hear the quality of the pieces.

3. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    definitely get ambiance. Its amazing. Soooooooo many sounds.

4. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I know it's not music, but iClouds is a great app to relax to. Music wise, I use the Zen Bound soundtrack to relax, and so should you.

5. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #5 Crypton, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
    If your realy in for some true stereoscopic sounds, try Organic Relax (free) (US$2,99). They used a "Kunstkopf" for recording.
    The description of the App is crappy, the icon is crappy, but the sounds are realy sweet! Try the lite!

[APP]AmbiScience[/APP] is also great. The music is verry nice and the loops are looong and gapless! The have also some lites where you can check out some of their music loops.

EDIT: What I like especially about [APP]Ambiance[/APP] is that you can mix your own sound together from all the sounds which you can d/l. But I agree, some of them are a little flat.
    But Matt Coneybeare (the dev) is realy listening to your suggestions! I asked for more (wave specific) binaural beats, and there they are!

6. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    I'm currently considering buying that app. What didn't you like exactly?

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Koi Pond is relaxing.

8. The music is experimental ambient electronica for the most part, which is a little bit outside my personal tastes. It's well-done, don't get me wrong, it's just not my particular cuppa tea when it comes to relaxation audio. For that, I tend to prefer stuff without too much melody, and in particular without synth patches that are too loud or jarring. I prefer smooth, lush pads and distant, subtle filigree such as you'll find in the other two AmbiScience apps (those are gorgeous), and most of the tracks in An Android's Odyssey feature louder, more tuneful synths with abrupt attack envelopes punctuated occasionally with semi-glitchy filigree that doesn't really strike me as conducive to meditative states of mind.

Of course, YMMV; this is just my own personal preference, and what your brain responds favourably to won't necessarily be the same as what mine does.

9. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Understand what you mean.
    I bought it shortly after my post :eek:

10. Yeah. Decent material, but it's a little too foreground to work for me as something designed to focus my attention on something else, or to relax. I think this one was kind of a pet project of Ron Watson's; he got a little hooked on an indie band's experimental electronic music and wanted to have something like that done for the iPhone -- at least, that's the sort of thing he intimated in an earlier conversation I had with him, so I guess this is the product of that.

Now that he's gotten it out of his system, let's hope we can look forward to more rich, ethereal soundscapes. :)

11. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    GDay all :)

Been lurking for a while now...

Im the dev of the Sleepmaker Relax Apps - There are currently 2 in the app store - Sleepmaker Rain and Sleepmaker Storms. Both have lite versions so download and let me know how you like them

Cheers
    Terry
    Derby Tasmania :)

PD When Im not dev Sleepmaker Im playing Wolf3D - Bring on Quake!!

12. ImperfectSense

Apr 3, 2009
    Hiya! I *love* thunderstorms, and up here in Seattle we get practically none! I downloaded your Sleepmaker Storms Lite to see if it would help fill the void in my life ;) Here are my observations:
    1) Too much rain, not enough thunder, and the rain is too loud in comparison
    2) The rain probably sounds great on professional audio equipment, but on the iPhone it comes out like a random hiss, not at all like the pitter-patter of individual rain drops
    3) I'd like a track that is *just* thunder, isolated from rain... why? Because we have plenty of rain here in Seattle, and mixing real rain with a thunder track would be most realistic :) This is probably infeasible... but how about giving us separate volume controls, one for the rain and one for the thunder?

Positives:
    1) Nice, long tracks, easily long enough to put me to sleep no matter how much I fight it
    2) Good volume control/fade out at the end, slept right through it
    3) Good price points, if a few of the items above got fixed/tweaked you'd have yourself a definite customer :)

Thanks for stopping by and checking in with us, I appreciate it!

13. appaddiCt

appaddiCt Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    UK
    I bought both Sleepmaker apps after trying out the lite versions. I'm sure they will help me get some much needed sleep. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. :D

14. rphone

rphone Member

Mar 3, 2009