Best Radio app...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mullet, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mullet

Mullet Member

Jul 14, 2008
    OK... I have Pandora and Last.fm, which are both free. Both are customizable internet radio and both are quite good. Regarding the pros and cons... Pandora buffers music faster over 3G, but only creates stations based on one band or song name. Last.fm is better for it's social networking, tagging, scrobbling, etc. but sucks for the amount of time it takes to buffer in between songs. I'm looking for a straight up internet radio app that has tons of stations and options to use existing stations found via iTunes. What's the best one out there? Cost isn't a factor.

~mullet

2. tizzyler03

tizzyler03 Well-Known Member

AOL Radio might be what you are looking for. However, between Pandora and AOL Radio I would have to say Pandora wins hands down! In regards to creating stations on Pandora: you can add more music to a station somewhere in the menu section. That way you can have all your music (which for me is a huge variety) all on one station. Hope that helps a little bit!

3. Mullet

Mullet Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I gave AOL's radio app a whirl. Not bad. There are tons of choices in stations. The one feature that I'm looking for is the ability to add new channels. I'm not sure what this is technically called, but that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure one of the paid radio apps will allow this. Anyone else have experience with the paid radio apps?

~mullet

4. tizzyler03

tizzyler03 Well-Known Member

I have not tried any of the paid radio apps, however, from what it sounds like you're looking for these apps might do the trick:
    -allRadio
    -Tuner Internet Radio

Both of these apps appear to have what you are looking for, but I can't say for certain. I recommend digging deep into the comments on iTunes to find more information and feedback.

Hope that helps you out a bit!

5. Stahl

Stahl Member

Jul 25, 2008
    College Student
    Caledonia, WI, USA
    #5 Stahl, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
    I Have Tuner and I think its pretty good. It has a large amount of stations, I havn't even explored them much however what I like about this app is the ability to add custom Stations/Streams. It supports .mp3,.m3u and .pls Formats for streaming. I use this to stream my local NPR station so I can listen to BBC World Service at nights and a few of my other local AM radio stations which stream to those formats. I can't comment on the 3G performance since I have an iPod Touch. The main reason I bought Tuner over the other radio app is because you can add your own streams which makes it far more extensible then the free apps and even allradio

6. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    finally got an adapter to play my 1st gen iphone through my car speakers.
    I used pandora on my way to work this morning and it worked flawlessly.
    this is using Edge in Las Vegas, NV

7. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    Well I have downloaded and used all the free radio apps and purchased Cast Catcher and Tuner. I have to Flycast was the best of the free ones. It has a good selection of stations but doesn't allow the addition of stations. Tuner is amazing. It has a wide variety of stations and does allow the adding of stations and also bookmarks. Cast catcher was so-so. Yes you can add stations but the library it comes with doesn't compare to that of Tuner or Flycast. If were you I would go for Tuner. But if you want a free one check out Flycast.

8. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Illinois
    #8 Mondo, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    FStream

Free option: FStream

I think I may have seen this app listed in the new apps feed on macrumors a few weeks ago, and on a whim I downloaded it just to see. It allows for custom streams to be entered, displays information about the stream as it plays, and it also allows you browse the ShoutCast and iTunes presets, which I found extremely cool. I haven't tried the others so I can't compare, but I was impressed at this simple solution to streaming audio.

Edit: Just looked at the store, thought I should mention two things. First, some people seem to think it cannot work over Edge/3G, but it does. Second, the application does not play when the phone is put to sleep, which a lot of people are not happy about so hopefully the developer fixes it in the next version.

9. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    My vote goes to Last.FM .. especially with the new update.
    It takes sometime to build your stations, but all you need is an artist to get started.

And once you have a decent library, you can use their recommendation radio - which is actually very good.

Flycast is alright... but it is slow (to launch, to buffer) and half the time it still fails to get a good connection even on Wifi. I also have Tuner, which I almost never use after building up my library in last.fm

10. bradley010101

bradley010101 New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    The Best Radio

A Good Radio is Called Public Radio Player.It Shows all the Radio Channels.:eek::D:mad::eek::confused::(

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Only one I have is Tunein but I think it's pretty good I can find all my local stations on it and it works very well. Lets you record as well and browse by genres, locations etc.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hands down TuneIn Radio.