Best program for remote view games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 26, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    #21 MICHAELSD, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    I love Splashtop Remote. It really works well. Once there are on-screen controls (which are in development), it will be amazing. It's easily literally at least ten times better than any other remote desktop/VNC app, and I have tried them all. Audio, video at at least 10fps, and little lag. I think the biggest problem aside from the controls is that on my MacBook Pro, the frame-rate in games is decreased due to the Splashtop app running. I've been using the Mac OS version, but I'm going to try the Windows version later to see if the frame-rate is really just a little better like I've heard.

I wish more people knew about Splashtop Remote, it's so much better than Jaadu VNC, LogMeIn Ignition, etc. Plus, it's a lot cheaper. By the way, as a side note - I've tried the OnLive client through Splashtop and it works better than OnLive's OnLive viewer app in the App Store! There's less lag, it looks sharper and a lot clearer, and games are playable (but notnpractically because the on-screen gaming controls haven't been implemented yet). But how cool is that? Playing games rendered dozens of miles away, sent to your computer, then compressed and optimized for your iPad through the Splashtop Remote app in less than a second. I thought bandwidth would really suffer since you're streaming a video feed and sending a video feed to an iPad, but it's fine.

2. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #22 Stirolak26, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    A lot of ateam games can be played in window mode and if splashtop desktop supports keyboards it could be worth it (and when they update it so u can remote play away from your house without having to do conplicated port forwarding).

I did an experiment. It actually works but there is a tiny speed lag but no big deal. The big deal is the horrible control implementation of the keyboard. Splashtop doesnt allow you to hold a key or letter but you have to press it constantly and for some reason doesnt recognize when you press two keys at once like w and d so you cant diagonal jump. I think if your a fanatic of and yet it moves and want it on the go the $150 would be worth it as its way more portable than carrying a keyboard everywhere with you and also both the mac or bootcamp and the ipad use blue tooth so there are interference problems detecting such keyboards and the game wont run or the app via an external keyboard but only a simulator of the one controlled by the mac/pc. Again if the programmer of splashtop had gamers more in mind Im sure fixes could be made to make it more enjoyable rather than just a novelty.

[​IMG]

here is the youtube vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI8DZiKraio

But the problem splashtop desktop only seems to recognize the onscreen touch keyboard as the one that emulates the clicking on the keyboard n front of my mac. For instance i tried doing an experiment wigh my bluetooth mac keyboard by turning off the bt on the mac and allowing the ipad to connect to it. When i went into the mac remotely via the ipad in splashtop and hit the key strokes nothing would happen because it wasnt hooked to macs blue tooth. So i tried another experiment. I also have a wireless non blue tooth but usb keyboard i connected to the mac while the mac blue tooth was connected to my ipad. It still woulsnt work or wimulate the usb keyboard. Maybe i just need tk fiddle some more nd figure it out but maybe the program itselr just doesnt support physical keyboards away from the msin computer running the software or os environment?

It may be worth getting this if they could add external keyboard support:
    [​IMG]

3. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    I'm planning to write an in-depth method of implementing virtual controls and improving the on-screen keyboard sometime this week on the Splashtop support forums since they do read the forums. They are in the process of adding controls suitable for first person shooters, so we'll see what happens.

4. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The big issue is being able to hold one key for more than a second to simulate movement for platformere and being able to hit two keys at once for diagonal jumps.

5. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    #25 MICHAELSD, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    I found another app that looks decent: CrazyRemote. It currently only supports Windows, so I'm not going to try it. Splashtop still looks to be number one in the quality and frame-rate areas, but CrazyRemote has a gaming advantage since you can overlay arrow keys, a space button, etc. and control some games decently with a frame-rate of a few frames per second.

[​IMG]

6. MICHAELSD

Jan 4, 2010
    #26 MICHAELSD, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    SPlashtop iw still just a novelty item until you can connect without hassle from outside lan, be able to customize controls and hold one keypad as well as it recognizes you pressing two at once, and support keyboard addons seperate from the pc its remoting from. Also, why is it it doesnt support apps or games in full screen? thats a huge letdown. But one thing I find it wuite useful for and that is using it to watch movies like off movies25.com that rely on codex and possibly flash to stream and that I dont know if it is possible to have on the ipad even via the skyfire browser. But it would be awesome if you could have the codex somehow on ipad and just stream brand new theatre movies without going to splashtop.