Best program for remote view games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #1 Stirolak26, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Is Teamviewer or logmein otently good enough for at least emulated games like ds games or wii emulator games or some indie pc/iMac games as long as your wifi is good or at this point in the game has remote view not advanced far enough for us to do something like the pap to ps3 remote games could do?

Oh and i am strictly talking ipad here. Guys imagine playing bioshock or star craft 2, or donkey kong returns via the dolphin emu in hd, all on the iPad. Is this possible somehow already? The reason I really want to know this is I recently discovered something like remote access or view exists and some programs I hear can even turn your pc or imac on and off without you doing it to the actual device.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    1 - These apps arent really fast enough for such tasks.
    2 - Controls will be an issue I think
    3 - there will be no sound.

But, there is one app which promises to do this. I actually have it (got it at 99cents sale) but never tried it coz its windoze only for now :(

http://appshopper.com/productivity/splashtop-remote-desktop

EDIT: Thanks to your post I just noticed that it now supports Macs too. Though its supposedly beta for now.

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    I don't really care what it supports cause I got bootcamp and Mac OSS on my iMac installed but I think if this is achieved it would change the portable game systems as wells laptops in general entirely toward the iPad and other tablets, as laptops would start being less useful and gamers would see a less of a meed for a portable system if they can just play their best games portably remotely anyway. As John Connor said in terminator salvation "the game has changed" when he saw the blue prints for the t 800. Anyway, is the app you are referring to faster than the two I mentioned or specifically built for games? I know it has to be possible considering Sony did it is psp to ps3. Also, the controls should be a problem for rts games like sc2 as evidence by the dos emulator (just try it and look at the response it received) and for 2d platformers on the wii dolphin emu or any touch based ds games via emu on ur pc or imac it shouldn't be a problem either if u could customize the emus to keyboard commands.

4. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Two routes to go: VNC or RDP.

RDP is a strictly Windows protocol that allows the user to remotely control the desktop (hence, remote desktop protocol). This is done through remote managing, therefore it depends on the performance of the device controlling it, along with the remote desktop/laptop, and the Internet speed/latency (but in most cases, you should be on the same router).

VNC is a virtual computing service, which essentially takes pictures of the desktop at certain intervals (think 1-2 pictures per second) and sends it to your device. You can also input blind keystrokes and mouse clicks to "control" the laptop/desktop.

End results: RDP fails, because something with a processing power of an iPhone (1GHz, probably underclocked to ~800MHz or so) won't be doing anything productive, especially when Windows has to specifically run a protocol off everything you do, then you throw in the whole bandwidth thing and yeah. RDP works just fine as a way to play videos though, albeit still scratchy at times, especially at higher resolutions.

VNC fails harder. You're looking at 1 FPS most of the time. It won't even work for videos. And it can't transmit sound. Gets even slower if you're transferring full color full resolution goodness that you would need from games.

Also, you're looking at 100-200ms delay in command for both protocols from the get-go.

RDP is great to watch flash videos, and other "stuff" though. Anything you can do on your laptop that doesn't require swift and instantaneous inputs.

And as for the whole emulation route? Well, rule of thumb is that the device has to be at least 10-20x more powerful than the device it's emulating for anything to run smoothly. And then there's compatibility issues that have to be rewritten from scratch for certain games, and yeah, the whole concept is pretty down the shitter. There are emulators for PS (albeit most games don't work/run at 70ish% speed), GBC (some compatibility issues), GBA (some compability issues + some games run slowly + sound corruption), SNES (compatibility), and Sega Genesis (compatibility) if you have a jailbroken device. GPSphone runs for 4.99 last I checked.

5. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    So how did Sony manage to do it via ps3 to psp so well?

6. 2hvy4grvty

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm not sure if you're trying to be a smartass, or you're really that dense.

Because they're a multi-billion dollar corporation capable of developing their own protocol, and their own hardware to fit the bill. We're talking existing protocols here, indie developers. The homebrewers are still struggling to emulate a DS on a PC.

Not to mention, a PS3 is easily 10x more powerful than a PSP in terms of CPU, and just in another realm in terms of GPU capabilities. Let's see the PS3 emulate PSP2.

7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Bro ur a straight up moron. I wasn't talking about the iPad emulatingnthe Mac or pc and it's the psp that controls ps3 games not the other way around via remote play. Do some research before responding, rennet play and emulation is o pletely diff but it is possible to run any emulator windows can run via remote play or even any pc game just as it is possible to play any ps3 game on the psp via remote play. Learn to read. And the ppl who created Logmein aren't indie deva, the freaking software costs 30 bucks on the app store.

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Sorry I came off a bit harsh in the last post but I felt attacked by you. Anyway I think ur as clueless as I was about remote play. It isn't emulation, it is controlling another computer with a different device via wifi. What I said about emulation was on a powerful computer it runs well even wii and if you cpuldnuse a wifi signal to control that computer not emulate it than you get e point...

9. 2hvy4grvty

Feb 10, 2010
    I answered your post multiple times within the context of a well-informed answer (see: RDP, akin remote desktop protocol).

Comprehension, not being your strong point, here is the answer again: no.

10. 2hvy4grvty

Feb 10, 2010
    Forgot to mention, I have my parent's computers set up over LogMeIn for tech support, and I'd say speed (technically refresh rate) is comparable to VNC (albeit the protocol is completely different). That means it's more than 10x slower than RDP, which doesn't play videos at perfect speeds, let alone video games. And there's noticeable delay as well.

And Logmein is MUCH quicker than Teamviewer from the sound of things.

11. Altrez

Altrez Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    IT
    Kentucky
    Check out splash top remote. It streams sound and video to your device. I have been playing world of Warcraft with it on my iPad and it works well. On screen controls are due out soon. It's almost like onlive.com it's cheep too.

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I have the jumi gamer software which is pretty good for the price as a remote desktop but it definitely isn't fast enough to play emulators

I'd think VNC software is probably the best bet but I doubt that would work much better honestly these programs are generally quite good for doing normal tasks but the framerates in my opinion aren't anywhere near enough for gaming or video.

13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Hey I just tried splashtop today and it is far better than anything else out there Ive tried so far. Sound coming to the ipad, smooth speed and video including gaming. Heck I got Diablo 2 to play pretty much perfectly and u can pan and zoom the screen to go all the way up to the edges or change resolutions etc. but the controls are the only problem. I wish there was a way to customize the nouse control so it isnt direct touch but like idos or teamviewer where u dont directly touch where the coursor is but somewhere away from it on screen and can be more precise. It is impossible to grab items from the ground in diablo 2 because the character just keeps moving or attack enemies right. But speed is perfect and sound.

Imagine how good it would be if the interfecae of idos including the onscreen keyboard was made for it because it would fix all the control issues even for emulators. For some reason the touch keyboard completely doesnt work in most games and in emulators it just sets the button or keypad u pressed like u kept pressing or holding it even if u just gently touch a keystroke once.

If the controls get worked out and some gamers help this application dev team we could have a treat. And the newest version works with the macs apparently.

14. halljames

halljames Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    UK
  15. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    That's freaking awesome and it literally just came out. Like just yesterday so it should be good.

16. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I spent 5 bux on touchosc and 20 bux on osculator b4 i found this perfect app:

AirPlay, it does this with ridiculous ease OSX/etc

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    There is also this I just found:
    http://smokingapples.com/ipad/air-display-review/

The one for gamers got a bad review can anyone here tell me if it's good or tried it? Problem with many of these apps is they aren't designed for gamers but rts games like star craft 2 are a perfect fit on iPad.

18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    What's the diff between airplay and air display? They seem to do the same thing.

19. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Hey I just tried splashtop today and it is far better than anything else out there Ive tried so far. Sound coming to the ipad, smooth speed and video including gaming. Heck I got Diablo 2 to play pretty much perfectly and u can pan and zoom the screen to go all the way up to the edges or change resolutions etc. but the controls are the only problem. I wish there was a way to customize the nouse control so it isnt direct touch but like idos or teamviewer where u dont directly touch where the coursor is but somewhere away from it on screen and can be more precise. It is impossible to grab items from the ground in diablo 2 because the character just keeps moving or attack enemies right. But speed is perfect and sound.

Imagine how good it would be if the interface of idos including the onscreen keyboard was made for it because it would fix all the control issues even for emulators. For some reason the touch keyboard completely doesnt work in most games and in emulators it just sets the button or keypad u pressed like u kept pressing or holding it even if u just gently touch a keystroke once.

If the controls get worked out and some gamers help this application dev team we could have a treat. Also the colors are a bit off.

20. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I tried splashtop with my mac too. Things werent really as smooth for me. But then its supposed to be beta only so hopefully things will improve soon enough.

Also EveryAir looks pretty good.