Best photo manipulation app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by indyraider4, Apr 2, 2009.

1. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    what is the best photo manipulation app for basic editing and filters. Not a drawing app, but something like Photo FX where you have different effects and filters. I am sure there are a lot out there, but I can't get them all and sort through them to find the best. Please post your thoughts on any you have used.

2. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Photogene or Polarize

I've tried as many as I could, and I think Photogene is probably the best. It's got the most comprehensive feature list, and seems a darn sight easier to use than most.

If you want something simpler, like a quick snapshot already in filtered mode, try CameraBag (whole Flickr community dedicated to this, google for it) or Polarize (all in Polaroid style, and can add 9-character text like handwritten title). Out of these, I use Polarize more, as its quick and simple. Makes the iPhone camera that little bit more special! :)

3. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    photogene but for image editing id go with juxtaposer

4. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Picoli is in my opinion the best for basic editing (color, brightness, contrast, sharpness). The choice of apps for FX depends on your taste. I like ColorSplash and GothPix.

5. a-train

a-train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Artist, Designer, Coder, Reluctant Businessman
    Austin, TX
    I'd recommend Photogene too, but with the disclaimer that it's the only one I've really used much. It's very easy to use and the color/levels adjustment tool (which is primarily why I picked it up in the first place) is pretty solid.

6. korymatthew

korymatthew Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I actually get TONS of use out of PhotoFX, from Tiffen. You have to dial-down into all the filters, cause there are so many of them, but SEVERAL of them in the "Fun FX" section "Looks" are really fantastic...

Here's a link :D
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300630942&mt=8

Photogene is great for adjusting levels and sharpening and cropping, though, if that's all you're looking for.

7. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I'm really not sure if this still exists since I got it a long time ago but, [app]ezimba[/app]. No one has really mentioned this one, and I got this one for free because well... it was priced as free.

They have a lot of options available including sharpening image, increase/decrease brightness, increase/decrease saturation, and so on and so forth. They also have a lot of cool effects you can add to your photo to make it look really cool.

I know the interface doesn't look very appealing, but it does a wonderful job in creating an edited photo. Easy to use even for people who don't normally edit photos (like me!).

EDIT: It still does exist. And it's still free :)

8. Tried out a few resizing apps as I wanted one that would resize to my exact dimensions I specified and the free Resizer does the trick. I'm just shocked photogene doesn't have this ability...craziness I tell ya.

9. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    A while ago I downloaded "Zipix Lite" (There is no other version) and it is the only camera app that I have kept on my iPhone. It has a zoom feature, utilizes the 3Gs built in focus feature and has the easiest to use, and most effective, brightening feature.

It has been upgraded and IMHO is the best camera app available, and it is free.

10. saviopalm

saviopalm Active Member

What about PhotoForge?

I bought it at the same day I bought Photogene, and ended up deleting Photogene as I prefered Photoforge's interface.

I guess I'll give Photogene another chance, since everyone likes it.

11. I bought quite a few photo apps last night.

Ones I liked:

Photo Sketch $2 try demo (makes pencil or chalk images) can output to 512 x 512 , 1024 x 1024 or even 1536 x 1536. Here's a couple sketches I made with it.
    sketch1 and sketch2

Wifiphoto $1 works well can transfer photos to your browser and download all as a zip file. Still I stick mostly with iPhoto and closing and reopening it since it can yank photos while still in photo editing app or even game, etc.

Still undecided:

OutColor $2 (makes photos look 3D by popping out of a frame) I think is decent but you really got to have a good image to work with. I'm still gonna try and not give up quite yet.

Didn't quite do it for me:

I got PhotoForge (editor) too last nite $3 and initially was impressed but not that much anymore. PhotoGene is better.

Colormagic $1 no I don't think so. I was begging for a magic wand like any decent photo editor has on a pc/mac but sadly this one doesn't work that well. Stay with Colorsplash for sure. Based on this experience I didn't pursure eCamera, OOF Camera, PPT Gurus, and Potrait Studio all based on that magic wand that doesn't work all that well.

12. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Just wondering if anyone has tried "Camera One"? It sound promising too.

13. I have not tried Camera One...here's my first attempt with OutColor app though. I'll get better at it with more practice though.

[​IMG]

14. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi Mr Bass,
    The resize option is a little hidden in Photogene but its there. Tap the tick "done" icon, and you have Resize as the second option. If you are editing a photo taken with the camera, you can resize in 1600, 1024, 640 or 320 sizes. If its photos transfered via iTunes, then the photos are compressed and only 320 is an option.

I've tried afew other photo apps:

AutoStitch is probably the best panoramic stitcher app I think. It's intelligent to piece the snapshots together. Works best horizontally. The 3D-ish stiching grid of the other one I tried (name escapes me) is too finicky for me, and Pro version was too expensive for me to try.

Camera Genius was 99c and really quite nice. Has alot of options such as digital zoom, grid guidelines (flipping through different guides is cute), voice-activated shutter, anti-shake shutter (hit button, then app waits until phone is steady enough to take a shot), and can review photos taken within the app. Well recommended.

PhotoFunia is free, and applies odd filters and frames to photos to a funny effect. For example plastering your mugshot across the entire face of a building or billboard. The app doesn't actually do it - it uploads to their server to process and presents the result back to your device.

Photoshop Mobile is free, and I like the idea of uploading/backing up to their free 1GB online account, but the app itself only applies filters to photos. Haven't spent much time with it, but so far its not inspired me that much.

I've also downloaded Share Photo andNetPhotos, but not tried at all. Saw screencasts of NetPhotos (free) and its nice - allows you to remotely view your iPhoto library wirelessly. Mac OSX only. Share Photo says it allows you to transfer selected photos wirelessly to desktop as well as iDevices.

I think I will also try the suggestions of OutColor, Zipix Lite and WifiPhoto, thanks guys!

15. Yea I was looking for a photo app to resize a photo to exactly 256 x 384 and the only one that I liked (two others let me but were crap) that let me input the exact dimensions was the free Resizer. Not sure why PhotoGene and a few other ones would not let you specify exact dimensions but rather just preset common ones.

[​IMG]

16. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    More practice..............That is Beautiful!

17. #17 mrbass, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

This is why you can't trust MacWorld nor hardly any reviews anymore. They don't have a clue. I gave this one a one star review in the app store IIRC.
    edit: ok I lied or my memory is faulty I actually gave it a two star rating.

Here is MacWorld giving this crap ColorMagic app 4 outta 5.​

Here is fake 5 star reviews​

Here is video of news story about developer of ColorMagic Molinker.​

http://appshouter.com/iphone-app-review/iphone-app-review-color-magic/
    no longer exists they yanked their review but here it is google cached. I bolded the "amazing" parts.