Best pedometer app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ArtNJ, May 30, 2010.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's hard to sort out the good ones due to fraudulent and mixed reviews. Thanks!

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have not looked at them, so I can't comment on the apps. However, I bought my wife a pretty good dedicated Pedometer about 1 year ago, and I remember speaking with a number of sales people, and although I can't remember the company any more - I remember everyone stressing that the biggest issue with pedometers is PLACEMENT. I suspect that the same is true with the idevice. The accelerometer has to be able to accurately measure, and depending on where it is, it will do a better or worse job of that. I suspect many of the negative reviews are due to people figuring you can hold the idevice, or put in on a pocket, or whatever, but the placement of the dedicated ones had to be pretty specific in the upper leg / hip area that could sense the leg motion, but not so much that it would double or triple count things.

I would actually probably look at the more expensive apps, contact the devs, find out what they have done to ensure accuracy, so you at least have better knowledge. Also, there is a lot of discussions from the devs on gaming that the accelerometers are frequently faulty, and cause them to get bad reviews, when it is the accelermeters fault, not theirs - likely true for pedometer apps as well. If you settle on one, and it works well for you - let me know. I currently still use my Garmin Forerunner for running/ walking as I find it to be accurate distance wise / although bulky and it needs to be charged frequently..

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #3 NotYou, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    On a serious note, I like [app]Runmeter[/app], but it depends what you want to do with it.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I use Cyclemeter.

Cyclemeter, Runmeter, and Walkmeter are all the same app but the dev has different icons and presets depending on which activity you do more often. They all have an "activity" button on the top left so you can switch between things like Cycling, running, hiking, skating, swimming (!?), etc.

5. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    The best pedometer is the one built into the Ipod, Nike +. You need a sensor though, which is $19.99. Totally worth it.

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Nobody got my joke:(

Still, [app]Runmeter[/app] is great stuff if you run. It works just as well if you're walking, but I don't think it'll count steps like a pedometer would.

7. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    nah i got your joke :D, but i didn't have a app recommendation so my post would be useless

8. iMandarinko

iMandarinko New Member

Nov 25, 2011
    #8 iMandarinko, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    I'm using Pedometer Ultimate GPS, it's free and has all option that you need: compitability with sensors(sensors and adapter by 60beat, Wahoo Fitness or Runalyzer), route map, STUNNING MAP,ANNOUNCEMENTS, DAILY GOAL, ELEVATION TRACKING. Some options may required paid upgrade, but it worth it. Best pedometer and fitness application for iOS in my mind.

9. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer