Best password app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by GatorDeb, Jun 8, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I want an app that does the following:

- Does passwords, usernames, card numbers, etc.
    - Syncs with PC or a central server or better both.
    - This is the most important thing - if I lose the device, ability to erase the info from a PC.
    - Password-protected.

Cost is not an issue, I need the best. Instead of trying a few for a low cost each, just pay it once and have it done with. Thanks.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Try 1Password

Just simple enough but I dont know if you can sync it top a sever or anything.

3. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I think it will be hard to find an app that you can tell on the PC "Hey, remove all my stuff from the iPhone". The iPhone client would probably have to be connected to WiFi and the client should be open in order to sync. I know Apple has a kill switch but I never heard of third party developers being able to implement them.

4. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #4 AttackOfThePwned, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
    1Password was designed specifically for a Mac, not a PC and GD asked about a PC desktop client.

I think the previous poster is correct, to be able to wipe info you would need the iDevice connected to the same wireless network as the desktop client is connected and I am not sure Apple allows this. However with OS 3 and push this could change things for developers as far as being able to wipe information remotely but don't quote me on that.

At this point you are not going to find an app that fulfills your checklist but the two apps I've heard decent things about are:

Memengo $4.99 with a desktop client that syncs to their website, no extra charge that I know of, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284950097&mt=8

&

SplashData $9.99 with desktop client $19.95, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284334840&mt=8

Both do the following:
    - Does passwords, usernames, card numbers, etc.
    - Syncs with PC or a central server or better both.
    - Password-protected.

Both do not do the following:
    - This is the most important thing - if I lose the device, ability to erase the info from a PC.

If I were you I'd wait and see what developers are able to do when OS 3 is released. Of course there are other apps out there too besides the ones I listed but I've heard more info about these two in particular.

EDIT: From WWDC today

There's a new feature called Find My iPhone. We're seeing a quick example of a lost iPhone demonstrated by the episode where Liz Lemon from "30 Rock" loses her iPhone. Find My iPhone is only available to MobileMe customers, but it will allow you to see on a map where your phone is. There are huge cheers from crowd. You can send an alert tone to your phone that will play, announcing it's lost. It will play even if you left your phone in silent mode.

If your phone is really lost, there's a remote kill switch to wipe your phone of all your data. Kent says, "Find My iPhone is pretty cool. I also like that the sound plays even in silent mode. Would be really cool if it played the sound when the phone was off."
    -----

Sounds good however this is on OS 3 and you have to have a MobileMe paid account to use it. Nice addition though. The blurb above was taken from CNET blog coverage.

5. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
  6. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
  7. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Sounds like you are looking for an app called Wallet. It does EXACTLY what you're looking for. Syncs online, has a desktop version, etc.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297540008&mt=8

8. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I use HanDBase . This is a very flexible database software, that is perfect for passwords, but also usable for a lot of other use cases. There is a simple but cheap (15 Dollar) desktop companion to sync the data easily.

The remote data deletion will be possible with OS 3.0 and MobileMe.

9. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #9 starjimstar, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    I have had some of the worst customer support from Dustin MacDonald. I bought Times when it was first released. It crashed and lost all my feeds so frequently it was unusable. It took him nearly a year to update Times to v1.1 and he only updated because it was part of the MacHeist bundle. I would not entrust his software with my most sensitive information. Besides, Wallet is mac only and it sounds as though Deb is asking for something that syncs with a PC (either Linux or Windows, I guess.)

EDIT: If mac software is an option for you; 1Password gets my vote.

10. Memengo

Memengo New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Hi! I am one of the authors of Memengo Wallet. I would like to clear something up - we do not have a desktop app. We only have web site app and iPhone app that syncs with the web site.

While there is currently no remote erase on iPhone for any app, there are two things you need to know:
    1. Apple will add remote erase in the next version of iPhone OS - only a week away!
    2. We utilize strong encryption and provided you pick a good pass-code even if someone steals your iPhone they will not be able to access the data.

Look around our web site on http://www.memengo.com to get a feel for the web app. No registration is needed to try it out - literally a single button click is all it takes.

Speaking of tech support, since app store opening we have have answered every single email that came to us via support form on our web site (and that had a return address). Not all of the people got what they wanted, but most did and you can count on us putting a good effort into helping you out, whatever your situation is. Since we decided to answer every single email we work hard to make sure you don't really have a reason to email us in the first place. Not because we dislike talking to you, but because we want to make sure it works as expected for you and save time for us.

Cheers.

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Sorry about the confusion. I was talking about this Wallet.

12. Hundred

Hundred New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    The best password app would be lastpass. Created by the website lastpass.com. Go there to get all the info but basicly all your passwords live encrypted on their servers. From a browser you can use a bookmarklet or they have extensions for firefox and IE. And then if your visiting a public PC you can login to their site. It does everything and you don't have worry about losing your phone. Just change your one master password.

Oh and it does form filling and secure notes.

13. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Wanted to bump this to see if anyone knows of any recent password managers for both mac and ipod/iphone that syncs and is hopefully cheaper than $20 total (mac and idevice versions).

14. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    You could either go with roboform or lastpass. 1password is a good one but too expensive for your requirement. Lastpass is free but a subscription unlocks the mobile apps use.

15. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    #15 injuwarrior, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks but I think both of them actually require a subscription for mobile use. I'd rather avoid subscriptions as well. The two main ones I am looking at right now are ewallet go and datavault. Also, I am currently using securely and the devs said a mac version is in the works which will sync.

16. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    roboform everywhere !

works & syncs on mac,pc and i devices

17. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Ended up going with ewallet go and I am pretty happy with it so far.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    1Password is sometimes part of Mac type bundles. I got 1Password and Paralells a few months ago for 29.95 along with a bunch of other little utils. The universal also goes on sale in the app store. Sync through either Bluetooth, cable, or Dropbox. Works well. Roboform seems to be good, but with all the hacking, I don't know that Roboform is safer than anyone else. I haven't used other things like ewallet, so I can't comment on it, but 1 Password is well supported, and seems to be secure, and works seamlessly for me.

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm dragging this up from the dead to ask if any iOS password managers other than 1Password support storing the database on Dropbox and reading it from Mac/PC and iOS directly from there? Because I really, really hate syncing with SplashID and want to go to 1Password because of this feature, but when I try to import my data into it it's a mess.

Actually it's not too bad, except that for some stupid reason 1Password puts the entire record for each item in the items' notes fields, in addition to putting the username and password (and such) in the appropriate fields. I.e. the username and password also go into the notes field. I'd have to manually go through and delete the notes fields for some 750 records. Ouch. Plus the import loses a lot of the subtleties of the records as well. So I'm hoping to try another that supports importing SplashID databases, but also that has that awesome dropbox feature that will eliminate the need to manually sync.

Are there any others out there that have this and that support importing from SplashID?

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You might want to contact 1 Password and see if they can help you. I don't use Splash ID, but I am a solid supporter of 1 Password - syncing across multiple devices is just great, and having everything encrypted all the time is a bonus.