Best Notes App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gekkota, Jan 7, 2009.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I am looking for suggestions for a notes app. I'd like it to have a landscape keyboard, password security, and the ability to sync notes to my pc easily. Doesn't have to be able to send email. I know there are a lot of apps, so I am wondering if you all have any suggestions as to what would be the best one. Free or paid, doesn't matter. Thanks.

2. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I've been looking into this as well. I currently have evernote, but I don't like that you need an Internet connection for it. I was looking at simplenotes but I don't think you can organize your notes in categories. So if anyone has any suggestions on a good notes app I'd aprreciate it.

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

#3 brewstermax, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    I use a combination of MagicPad, WritingPad (now Shapewriter), and have been looking into others. It just depends, but there isn't anything that perfectly fits what you are looking for. Simplenote is good.

4. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I had to make the same choice a while ago and selected iNote, mainly because it was the only app I could find that let you organize your notes into folders. It also had the wide keyboard I wanted and since then the developer has updated it to be able to sync with Google Apps so that covers your PC integration.

Highly recommended. If they add a cut & paste into it (like MagicPad) it would be perfect.

However, I don't think it has password security.

5. CBraun53

Jul 14, 2008
    Does it automatically sync to google or do you have to manually sync each note?

6. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
  7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    'Take A Note' does everything I want. Text, audio, sketch and photo memos to myself that I can email home or share with my mac over wifi. No passcode lock. Lock your phone.

8. larrybeo

larrybeo Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Dataviz Docs To Go Is Coming...

Sooner or later Dataviz is bringing its solution to iPhone. They have been working on it for over a year now. I know it is tough to wait for something, but Documents To Go will make everything we are using now obsolete.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents don't really replace notes; not to such a dramatic claim as making them obsolete anyway. I suppose you can write them in Word, but that seems like an "out of the way" solution.

10. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    There's a sync button, when you press it it syncs all your notes.

11. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Notespark is da shit ;)
    No i meen it! it is my most used app.

12. gcl

gcl Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I still haven't found the ultimate, yet....

I've tried MagicPad, WritingPad and TextGuru
    SimpleNote sounds promising but only web sync, API to be released in the future so maybe devs like voodooPad can support desktop.
    Take a note from the Readdle guy also has some good reviews.

My top 2:
    Notebook by Appigo - password private notes, global search, landscape and basic markup, sync to web or email, desktop sync is in the future. good supportive devs with updates.

WritePad Notes by Phatware- hand write your notes or type, landscape, spellcheck, REAL desktop transfer access (needs freeware diskaid), cut and paste, search only note title.

I use both and each has it's strengths and weaknesses

I like the search and overall polish of Notebook but hate the lack of desktop sync.
    I love hand writing and desktop access of WritePad Notes; it actually has great recognition for me just with plain finger (pogo stylus functions poorly) I like to write naturally when journalling.

good luck and post if you find some good app!

Best,
    tony

13. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Just took a look at the description of Notespark. Have you tried Evernote? They seem identical, but with Evernote having more features, being free and having both a Web interface and a Desktop interface.

Only thing I noticed different was the sharing, which is neat. Not everyone would use that though and if you are using a shared environment, you can just set up a separate account for that anyway.

14. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Evernote is one of my favorite apps. The ability to take notes from my desktop (including pictures and webpages) makes it amazing. That might not be an important feature for some people, but it's great if you can use it. It usually syncs in a couple seconds too.

15. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008

One more vote for evernote. It is in its own league for personal reference library that's synced on the cloud, with your desktop/laptop/iPhone.

Full support for tags, searches, and folders (1 level).

16. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I like Simplenote. It's far from perfect, but it is my favorite of the bunch.

17. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I choose Notebook from Appigo! I like the bulleted list and basic HTML tag support. Besides, you can also set how many lines to preview for each topic. Pretty neat.

18. CBraun53

Jul 14, 2008
    How do you sync all the notes? I purchased the app but I've only been able to sync (upload and download) one note at a time.

19. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    MagicPad

It shows what apple should be doing with copy/paste. :)

20. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Wow! :) I appreciate all the replies to my question...I'm still undecided, though. Am I correct in understanding that Evernote's notes are only accessible if you have a wifi connection (not actually downloaded to the Ipod Touch itself?)
    Another question---> is there a character limit to any of these notes apps? I'd like to be able to keep a journal when I go on vacation, for example. Thanks.