iPad best match-3

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jarikata, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jarikata

jarikata Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I am a fan of match-3 games. I guess there are a lot of them available in different shapes and sizes and of different quality. If you are into such games which ones are your favourites?

My current favourite is Gem Spinner. It's a great match-3 with some unusual twists... since i find it difficult to explain here is a quote from the gem spinner net site

"Gems are arranged inside of pieces of different shapes and sizes. Swap adjacent gems to match three in a row. Double-tap a gem to spin its piece 180 degrees. Match all the gems in a piece to clear the piece from the board. Drag pieces to empty board spaces to create more match opportunities. Match enough spaces to complete the level goal and then continue to swap, spin, and drag to try to clear the entire board."

http://www.tinybitegames.com/tbg/gemspinner/

I have been completely hooked with this game and its features which I haven't seen in any match-3 game before'

[​IMG]

2. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    #2 PoV, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    You might like Smiles. :)

http://www.smiles-game.com

Has 2 distinct games (Zen and Drop), and a plethora of extras. No time limit, and lets you play faster if you want (clicking matches while others are clearing). Check out the video.

3. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    Haa!!! I like Smiles. Actually I bought it not long ago thanks to this site (a thread about it) and I enjoy it VERY much! Especially I like the zen mode and drop and that fact, which you mentioned, that you can make simultaneous matches in other modes.

4. nachorevolution

nachorevolution Well-Known Member

The best is Smiles and Puzzle Quest

5. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Dont forget Samurai Puzzle Battle!

6. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Smiles is really excellent.

7. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    It's not necessarily a match 3, but Bomboozle is great! Instead of just clicking on clusters of colors, you have to drag your finger along paths of colors in order to get chains and such. I would also recommend Smiles

8. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    The smiles video looks sick! Well done for a match-3 game.

9. Zenric

Zenric Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Would Fuzzle count? B/c I have a blast playing that.

And Puzzle Quest looks awesome, I'm just a bit put off by its multiple parts and supposedly small text.

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I like Aurora Feint. It has an rpg element to it, and isn't expensive.

11. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    Yeah, I forgot (*blush*) Aurora feint which actually was the first game (or app) i got for my ipod touch (the beginning version) and then of course purchased Arena too. It is awesome though I am currently stuck trying out the last blueprints - it seems I always need to make matches with elements that aren't there or there are too few of them....

I also have Puzzle Quest which is a lot of fun.

I also have the Samurai Puzzle Battle, but i can't get my head around its strategy feature (I really suck with war strategy games ....too difficult for my tine brain...)

12. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    I agree... the text is partially very small. I can manage the multiple parts as they are in this case quests whereas samurai puzzle battle is war strategy game and i am lousy in those.... There's something in my brain that doesn't figure out this moving armies around and conquering land features.... :-S. But I love puzzle games - especially match-3 and those Edge/Loopy Laboratory type of stuff.

13. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    Has anyone, by the way, tried out Flexis. Now that sure looks different. A Tetris with rubbery pieces that bounce and fly around when you touch them.... :)

14. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Flexis kind of play for itself (sometimes you just watch the game!). There's a topic about it.

15. gcl

gcl Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    more match games

Great thread!

I forgot about Bomboozle and missed the sale :( but luckily I picked up
    Kraut which I'm currently enjoying for the unique play, music and soothing photos. It's really polished like Gaia and a steal at $1.99.

I didn't catch onto Gemspinner because of the graphics.

Does the graphics or sound effect distract from the enjoyment?

Also I think I read somewhere that Bejeweled Twist might be coming to the iphone.

I rather support smaller devs though.

The ones I have and enjoy also: Trism (first one), QuadrumColors (heard here at TA), Bejeweled2 (for the missus) and ScribBall (organic animation)

Good value: Collapse!Chaos, luckily the quests out weight the cartoony graphics.

Another one I just picked up and currently free, Campaign Trail from the Animoto folks.

Other ones that look interesting:
    • Smiles - has that jump area, great sound, graphics and supportive dev
    • Booty Blocks - looks polished with tilt and soundtrack
    • Chain3 - I wanted to get this one, but a bit too steep for me right now at $3.99 from a previous $7.99; this has unique freeform play that shows in their great demo vid.
    • Gaia - played lite - very sweet too, may get the full version in the future.

It is great to see what creative twists devs can do to a well-worn genre.

I hope they create more!
    :p

16. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'd like to give a shout out to Quadrum:colors and Bejeweled. Smiles is pretty good also, but those two are my favorites.

17. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Erm hey guys what about Trism?

18. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I really didn't like Trism. I wish I could return it. The tilting is uncomfortable and hard to control, and the black voids you end up creating are unsightly and really ruin the screen for me.

19. gcl

gcl Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I didn't like Trism the first time, thought it was boring and the tutorial was too draw out. I just wanted to pick up and play.

But like most match games, prolonged play and understanding brings a certain rhythm plus going through the whole tutorial really helped highlight their work.

There's 3 games: freeplay, against the clock and puzzle so I don't feel bad about the $2.99 price. As I played more, the more I liked, then love and could understand the hype.

Like most of these games, the more you get into them, the more you see what the devs bring out in terms of great play.

Trism is really good at least to me as evident by frequency of play and is permanent on 1 of 9 pages.

It's worth it.

20. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #20 Carlos-Sz, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    I also like Elasticity.

And what about the new Witch's Workshop? You match to fill bottles and deliver them to consumers. It sounds nice.