Best Language for Game Design

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Reegan777, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Reegan777

Reegan777 New Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm currently in college for business, but I've messed around with coding before and I'd like to start designing games as a hobby. I've dabbled in in java and BASIC, as well as a bit of actionscript for flash. None of these seemed terribly efficient for game design nor did any of them have easy means of marketing any possible games I'd made. I did go ahead and create two games in flash which I'll leave links to here if you'd like to see:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619130
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/617786

Obviously these were more of a learning project than anything, but hopefully it shows that I have at least basic coding knowledge. Anyway, my question is what coding language should I begin learning to create/sell games? Either placing them through steam greenlit, on the iphone app store, or playstation/xbox store. Preferably whichever is easiest for a beginner. I plan to start off making text-based RPGS, simple things while I continue to learn.

Any suggestions from current programmers/developers would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could recommend solid learning resources that would be wonderful as well. Thanks in advance!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Unity3d with either C# or Unity Script IMO

3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you want to get something out and returning money fast - then Unity and C# . Unity seems to be pretty accessible to design minded folk with not much programming/scripting ability. I also have heard good things about Game Salad (for designers)

If you really want to learn how to program games then C++ is a must. I am also of the belief that everyone should make their own engine first to understand how everything works. Of course - this is not going to get a game out fast but it will teach you (the long but right way) how to make games.

4. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    There really isn't a right or wrong answer here. But it you really want to learn about whats going on under the hood, I would recomend cocos2dx. It uses c++ and you have access to the source code, so you can pour through it and learn what makes everything tick.