Best guitar playing app for non-guitar player??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pablo19, Jan 1, 2009.

1. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Title is a bit confusing, but What I wanted was a guitar app where you could kind of learn the songs through tutorial or something. MoocowMusic has one that is very polished but I want to know if a person with no guitar playing experience can learn to play at least an iphone version.

2. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    okay, that was 2 days and sorry for double posting.

changing the question... what guitar app do you have IF you have one and do you like/recommend it

3. SmallSoldiers81

SmallSoldiers81 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    pocketguitar is really cheap altought it's very basic. If you want a guitar playing app then pocketguitar or guitar from moocowmusic. if you want one that will help you learn get something like 7 chords or another similar app

4. MeTeHe

MeTeHe Member

Jan 2, 2009
    yep i like pocketguitar

5. thepretender

thepretender Well-Known Member

pocketguitar is good

6. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    umm i guess you can learn realy simple songs on a guitar app but go with pocket guitar, its very simple and are you interested in playing real guitar? if so moocow guitarist realy helps cuz u can go thorogh all the notes slowley i use it for sweeps and for wrighting tabs

7. SmallSoldiers81

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    its ironic that there's an ad for guitar lessons on this thread

8. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    shh its magic its ok

9. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    It's genius! those ads recognize the words used in the thread actually, if you post something about pirates the Blackbeards assault ad will pop up (not literally). If you post about guitars that's what comes up, and so on.....

thanks for the help, I'll be buying the moocowmusic one, and later the pocket guitar one. I just got a itunes gift card so my dilema has been solved.

Still, Thanks guys.

10. SmallSoldiers81

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    the moocow music app is full of features pocketguitar isnt

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I like Guitarist personally

12. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008

I downloaded it, I like it a lot, I especially like the recordeing feature, and the long help and guide it has. I don't think I'll regret this at all :D

13. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I like the tremolo/whammy feature the best. Although I'm really not a big fan of the echo...

14. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I never played a guitar before i bought pocket guitar, and i was very let down. Holding down the strings while strumming proved to be frustrating. Later on I bought guitarist and wow am i happy, the hammer on mode alone is worth the price (you don't have to strum you just tap the strings and made sound) and the recorder tops it off.

As I said I never played before but so far i can play Green Day, Guns n Roses, and Three Doors Down

15. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    PocketGuitar also has a hammer on mode now I believe

16. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    how did you learn'em? is there a learning mode or something within the guitarist app?

17. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #17 istopmotion, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    Pocketguitar is better for just plain fun, Guitarist is a bit trickier and requires a little more knowledge about guitar.

I totally recommend Pocketguitar, because it's cheaper and it's much easier to use.

To learn simple guitar songs, google "[song name] tabs" and you can find a site that'll teach you how to play that song without needing any experience with a guitar. Tabs are a little complicated to learn how to use at first, but you can also google "how to read tabs" and something should come up.

Pocketguitar actually convinced me to buy a real guitar and get guitar lessons, so I'd go with that one :) Hope that helps.

PS, I learned about 75% of Metallica's "The Day That Never Comes" with Pocketguitar and the help of a tablature site. If I was able to learn that quickly and easily, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a song you could play :)

And... @Killquake... Pocketguitar has many more features and ways to change how you play the guitar. It has string bending, hammerons/pulloffs, automatic plucking, adjustable string positions (moves the strings to how you like it), whammy (by tilting device), several different instruments and effects to pick from. PocketGuitar kicks Guitarist's butt :p especially with the lower price.

18. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Thanks I'll try doing that! ;)

19. secretkillerofnames

Jan 3, 2009
    I have Guitarist and Pocket Guitar but find the most useful app is GuitarToolkit.

Mainly because I like to mess around with tunings and it adjusts the (hundred or so) different scales to suit your tuning / can help tune guitar and has a metronome. I don't use the chord chart since it doesn't support non-standard tunings yet but the dev says they are working on it.

If you just want to learn some basic chords from songs I think Guitarist is more useful as you can just download tabs from the interwebs and enter them in.

20. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I just got the tab for smoke on the water, works great. I think I get how it works. Great Great Great:D