Best GTD app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Chase, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    What's the best Getting Things Done app? I saw Things, and that looked nice, but can I sync to my computer without buying the desktop application? I really do need to sync.

Remember the Milk is also nice to the desktop, but I don't have a pro account so the iPhone app is useless.

What's your favorite?

2. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I used to use Things before the native Remember the Milk app was released.

I really like Things, but it has it's limitations - no tags, no reminders etc. The desktop (Mac only) app has tags, but this functionality has not yet been extended to the iPhone app, but I believe they are working on it. I also found it a bit buggy at times, and lost long notes I had attached to items, which became a real pain. To answer your question, it DOES require the desktop app for syncing.

Clink Tasks would be an alternative which syncs your desktop iCal todo list over WiFi with the iPhone app. You just need to download a free helper app for the desktop syncing. But I found the iPhone app quite limited compared to others.

Others I have tried:
    SmartTime, which now supports syncing with Google Calendar for events and Toodledo for tasks. There's also a free version to try out.

Appigo Todo which syncs with either Remember the Milk or Toodledo. Also has a free version.

iProcrastinate which has both a desktop and iPhone app, however I don't think you can sync between the two yet, but the dev is working on this - http://www.craigotis.com. And both of these apps are free.

They all have their pros & cons, but for me, Remember the Milk was a no brainer. I signed up for the pro account before the native app was available, as I love the desktop web app, and find it perfect for my needs - with locations, tagging, reminders, notes, URL links. Then they released the native app, which is almost perfect. It's a very full featured, customisable, polished app, and has nearly all the functionality I'd like, missing only some integration with the contacts db, i.e. I'd like to be able to add a task to call someone in my contacts, and have the RTM app link to this contact so I make the call directly from the app. I know, not really an essential feature, but would be nice to have.

There's loads more out there on the AppStore

3. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Iprocrastinate is more geared towards students but do give Craig Otis an email, he's very receptive to feedback.
    EasyTaskManager is free as is their online webapp, but the desktop sync is $20 I think. Tried it but not as flexible as Smarttime.
    I tried SmartTime and thought it's a great concept. The execution is getting better, much better since the latest update that loaded up the app alot faster. See their demo on leftcoastlogic.com,it's quite impressive.
    I have heard alot of praise for Remember The Milk too.

4. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Thank you for the detailed list. :) I also like the RTM desktop site quite a bit. I'm seriously considering getting a paid version. I'm glad to hear it's worth it. I tried iProcrastinate for a little while, but didn't do it for me.

5. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I HIGHLY recommend OmniFocus. It is very detailed and syncs with their Desktop application. It has all you could ask for, to truly follow GTD. Inbox, Projects, contexts, and even the ability to view contexts by your current location.

6. diesel

diesel Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    i purchased both omnifocus and things and didn't like either of them. omnifocus was too slow to load in the beginning though i've heard they've improved, but also omnifocus was to "rigid" in their implementation of GTD. Not to mention that as a PC user, both omnifocus and things are both useless to me since i can't get a windows version of the program to sync with.

i have since settled on Remember the Milk and love the fact that tasks are synced with the RTM site (without need for desktop software) so there is no fear of losing my data. The only issue that I have with RTM is that they do not allow subtasks, and in fact if you look at their forum, you will see that people have been asking for subtasks on the main RTM site for the past 2 plus years and the only response from the developers is that they are still trying to figure out how to best implement subtasks in the UI without "ruining" the UI. That's a crock of BS, and that's what i put on the forum. There's simply no excuse for not implementing subtasks for the past two years when that happens to be one of the most sought after enhancement from the RTM community.

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

SmartTime, which now supports syncing with Google Calendar for events and Toodledo for tasks. There's also a free version to try out.[/QUOTE]

No. SmartTime has 3 different full versions, and 3 different lite versions. All the Full versions do the exact same thing, and same for the lite versions. I don't know who at LeftCoastLogic decided that one, but its a horrible idea, and can't be fixed without making someone mad.

8. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    They've pulled all those additional versions from the AppStore now. I felt it was really deceptive and confusing for users, and I told them this on their forums. They didn't take it too well, but it appears they were listening as there's now one plus version and one lite. It's still a pretty crap app though IMO.

9. Dan4UCF

Dan4UCF Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I am extremely happy with TOODLEDO.com and their Iphone app. Works well in combination with Google Calendar and iCAL. Also integrates with JOTT.com.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    OmniFocus

+1 Chumbake

OmniGroup is my favorite Mac developer and their programs really are a cut above. I've been using both the Mac desktop and iPhone app, since their inception, and they are both brilliantly designed and full-featured. OmniFocus is in my top 10 apps ever and it is worth the price.

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

11. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    but as mentioned above when not on a mac ....its pretty useless

12. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have used Tooddledo, Ultimate todos, Smarttime, Pocket informant and Todo.
    prefer todo because of the subtasks. Ultimate todos is very good and it is cheap.

Perhaps, you could tell us what you want form a GTD app and we'll try to help.

13. jbarr

jbarr Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I've used ToodleDo, OmniFocus, ToDo, and a host of others, and my vote is for Pocket Informant.

The main reason is that it seamlessly syncs Google Calendar and ToodleDo in one application. It has decent Calendar and ToDo views, and it also consolidates them into a "Today" view that works well.

No, it doesn't have sub-tasks, but it's pretty comprehensive, and lets you tailor quite a bit.

A couple tips:

1. Don't sync more than a couple calendars. Performance degrades as the number of calendars increase.

2. Set up your iPhone/iPod Touch Calendar app to also sync to Google Calendar using the "Exchange" option in Settings. Your iPod Touch calendar will keep up to date, and all changes ultimately get synced across all apps.