Best feed reader

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by brewstermax, Jan 16, 2009.

1. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Newsstand 2.0 is out and it's almost completely awesome. Google Reader syncing, sync read articles, Twitter, Instapaper, Delicious sharing, completely new interfaces, in-app email, landscape etc.

First impressions are that syncing is quite slow compared to Gazette 2.0, possibly Byline as well, I haven't used that in a while.

But other than that, it rules. I like things that rule.

2. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    So does it offer two-way-sync for Google Reader and (complete!) offline reading? These are the two killer features of Byline.

3. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    2-way sync - yes

"Complete" offline reading - if you mean the RSS feed articles, then yes, but if you mean the full original articles, then no, not that I can see. Not a big deal for me, but I can see that it could be for some.

4. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    good info thX!

didn't even realize app store had new readers.. (though now that I think of it... duh. of couse they do.)

q: can you control the output size of the feed? (newstand)

5. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    If you mean can you control the amount of the original article that appears in the feed, then no. No RSS readers can do this, as it is up to the originating site as to how much of their article that push into the feed. For some, like BBC or Sky, they only have a couple of lines, however there are others that push the entire article into their RSS feed.

6. allt

allt Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi!

You guys don't mention push, does any rss reader to iphone support that, so you get a new post on toucharcade or w/e just after it's been published and w/o having to be in the rss reader (so it comes up a number over the app just like in mail when you get a new mail)? Or maybe just something like that it refreshes every 30 min w/o you having to be in the app (like we currently have to do with gmail for example)?

Also, I've tried a couple of the free ones, and they don't seem to be capalbe of showing pictures, can the paid ones do that?

Thx in advance!

7. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Does the Google Reader sync allow you to mark articles as "share" to share with your Google Reader followers?

8. NutritionN

NutritionN Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I purchased this today and see Email, Twitter, Delicious, and Instapaper as the sharing options...as well as being able to copy the URL and adding a star to an article.

9. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    That is not meant. Google Reader (the web page!) allows you to mark articles as shared which means putting the links in the public section of your personal Google notes. Byline supports this feature.

10. GadgetGuru72

GadgetGuru72 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Yes, thank you.

I did not mean "share" in the sense that you can email the article. I meant "share" in the way that Google Reader means "share" on their web page.

When you "share" something on Google Reader, it essentially creates a brand new feed out of all of your "shared" items. Other people can then subscribe to that feed, thereby receiving everything you've shared in their Google Reader.

So, apparently Byline has this feature.

Does anyone know if Newsstand has this feature? I like the look of Newsstand a little more than Byline.

11. radsauce

radsauce Member

Aug 15, 2009
    NetNewsWire is supposedly updating soon for 2-way syncing with Google Reader...

12. NutritionN

NutritionN Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Yes, I know what you meant by sharing with Google Reader. I was merely giving you all the sharing options I see within the app.

I'm glad someone came to your rescue, though, with an adequate answer. Thanks for the sharing lesson...

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    anyone know RSS Flash g ?

looks interesting