Best endless runners?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Elixir, May 1, 2013.

1. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I will pick Line Runner, Dead Ahead, Monster Dash and Minion Rush

2. Mr. Strange

Mr. Strange Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Game Designer
    Eugene, OR
    I'll mention Polara again - fantastic runner.

But I am SHOCKED that nobody has mentioned Don't Run with a Plasma Sword!?! I love that game to death. It starts out pretty generic (though funny, and with awesome boss fights) - but once you start buying some upgrades (very reasonably priced with grind-able currency) you get into an AMAZING zone where you have really great options for defeating enemies as you run.

DRWAPS!

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Still Ronin.

4. kashifraza

kashifraza Active Member

May 6, 2013
    Now days my favorite endless runners are Despicable Me: Minion Rush and Running with Friends. both games are relatively new and simply awesome.

5. ankushgupta05

ankushgupta05 Member

May 10, 2012
    Most of the runners are fun. Its like a good 1 minute break from work/travel/chat anything.

We just launched Door Dash. We gave a different twist to runners. This one is not an endless runner. Also, one has to collect keys and perform action - Push or Pull to open the doors and continue running. You can see our post on touch arcade here :-

http://bit.ly/doordashta

Do leave us a note on what you think about the game

6. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    This thread hasn't been updated in a while. Have any good runners / endless runners been released since June?

I tired of the new Infectonator after powering up everything and Giant Boulder of Death although excellent is becoming somewhat frustrating with the IAP heavy gameplay design and corresponding difficulty. Any others of note not already mentioned in thread?

7. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Here, I'll throw some in:

Vector: not endless, but it looks frikkin cool. There are all kinds of parkour moves.

Mega Run: not endless and it's more like a platformer, but well, it has "run" in the name :p full of cute monsters in a colorful world.

8. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I love Mega Run - the Monsters Inc Run version is also excellent and a bit easier IMHO. I will have to check out Vector.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Vector pretty solid. The animations is where it excels most. Pretty smooth and sihouetty-realistic.

Tried Sheep Happens? The formula's been done a lot, but this game has a lot of charm and funny as hell.

Few more titles i'd like to mention: Dream Chaser, After Earth, Redline Rush, and the rhythm based runner Audio Ninja.

Havent checked my previous post with all the other titles, but i think i havent mentioned these before.

10. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I decided to check out Indiana Stone which I seemed to have overlooked because it didn't get front page coverage. I was hoping for an alternative to Giant Boulder of Death and despite being markedly different, I. Stone is proving to be a superior substitute of boulder rolling action.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... I even think it's one of the best runner games ever, for the lack of any currency's existence, and for the great scoring system, which makes it very unique as well.

12. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    BisonX no iap hard as hell only 10kb

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's Boson X, and yes, it's awesome, definitely belongs to any best-of runners list, and yes, we know, it being the TA and TA forum GotW. ;)

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The best runner ever for iOS is - Escape from Zombie: Haunted Night. No one can argue with my statement.

15. GuyOnDrugs (GOD)

GuyOnDrugs (GOD) Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2013
    The best endless runner is definitely Boson X. It's the most unique and addicting game i've played.

16. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #56 Lazer Kat, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Can't believe I just read this ENTIRE thread (and purchased every game in EP's GREAT list I didn't already have. Thanks for spending my monies EP!), and there's been no mention of Lane Splitter?
    Really?

All. Time. Classic!

17. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Rabbit hole 3d is a new endless title, small file size and small price, great gameplay, win win in my eyes.

I am not gonna go back through the thread and see what's been posted as I pm still catching up on games I bought from the difficult thread lol.

18. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #58 Lazer Kat, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    I'm almost as big of a runner-fanatic as EP. I really enjoyed reading his very well put together list, so i think ill make my own.
    here's a list of my top runners of all-time:

1) Cannabalt: a classic. No one has reproduced its simple elegance. Everyone's tried; everyone's failed. From the sound, the subtle story, to the random levels - this runner is perfect. 5/5
    2) Rayman Fiesta Run: improved on the first in most every way 5/5
    3) Rayman Jungle Run: simple to jump into, but very difficult to finish with 100% completion. This game is great where it counts - fun factor. 5/5
    4) Bit-Trip Run: since the update that fixed the lag with jumping, this game is one of my most played. Its amazing at what it does, and any runner fan should have it in their collection. 4.5/5
    5) Punch Quest: one of my most played. It adds a nice, albeit simple, combat mechanic to the genre that just feels great. I felt so bad about getting so much joy out of this one for free, I actually bought the 'Donate-a-buck' IAP. Not many games are that good. 5/5
    6) Time Surfer: theres been more iny wings clones hit the App-Store than i care to admit, and also alot that aren't clones, but are obviously heavily inspired by it. Most of them have failed in comparison to the original. This game took Tiny Wings, made it its own without feeling cloney, and actually improved it in every way. 4.5/5
    7) Ski Safari: there's not a lot of things that feel better than being grabbed by an eagle and carried hundreds of feet into the air and then nailing a 133 rotation front-flip on the way down, all while having various animals tagging along. Great fun! 5/5
    8) Banana Kong: this game just keeps getting better. Its one of those that really feels like a platformer, but is actually a runner. The level design, controls, an..hell, the entire game is done damn near perfect. 4.5/5
    9) Lane Splitter: all-time classic. It really does a great job at giving you the feeling of adrenaline. Fast maneuvers through a ton of traffic. A must have. 5/5
    10) Redline Rush: a freemium done right mash up of temple run and a racing game. Very addictive, and the freemium stuff doesn't feel offensive. 4.5/5

As you guys will probably notice, EP is more of a 3D behind-the-back fan; I'm more of a 2D silhouette type guy myself.

EDIT: out of the several I've bought from this thread/EP's list, the two that really stand out so far as great are:
    - Blood Roofs: this is a great game with awesome graphics that just oozes style; &
    - Run-N-Gun: this ones a really cool take on temple run mechanics. Its a much better version of Super Hammer, which I liked, but now have no reason to play.

19. Try Groove Vortex, a Super Hexagon like game which is endless.

20. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    No Jetpack Joyride? Into the Dead?