Best endless runners?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Elixir, May 1, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Aw crap... See, i forgot Ski Safari and Solipskier!

2. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    I have about $2 of credit left, should I get Ski Safari, Tiny Wings or Temple Run: Oz?

I'm currently leaning towards the first but I'll gladly take opinions from players of these games :)

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    No medals, but i can give you my personal top 5 in no particular order :D

Temple Run Oz
    TheEndApp
    Pitfall
    Polara
    Ronin

Honorable mention: Blood Roofs - If Blood Roofs gave me more reason to play it after completing everything (and I completed everything 3 times on each of my iThings), as in hundreds of missions (like most of the good more recent ones, but spearheaded by Jetpack Joyride), content updates (more in the line of "a different location", more bosses, expanded story after you've seen everything in the current version), and more damsels in distress.

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Get Ski Safari, and i'll gift you TROz if you have a PH account.:)

5. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    I got SS, and thank you so much for offering TROz! I pmed you email :)

6. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I second TheEndApp! Loved that one since day one.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Check your email! ;)

8. EP or others,

Would you consider Catch the ark an endless runner? It is one of my favorite hdmi tv games, though Chillingo sucks for turning it freemium and making us lose all our coins, but for the most part it is an endless runner worthy of your list.

Don't know if I could classify it as a driving game, arcade game, or endless runner, but probably all of them I suppose, kinda similar to Iron Man 3 in that it is from a couple of different genres.

9. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    I can confirm he did sent me TROz!

Such a generous person, thanks Psiene!

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #30 TheFrost, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    Some of my favorites are: (maybe I'm forgetting some...)

Ski Safari: The true meaning of a fun endless runner, with lots of things to do ingame, great longevity, lots of big content updates and funny antics.

Jetpack Joyride: It implemented a lot of new things into the genre: missions, looped medals, gadgets and was the first true endless game, infinite.

Punch Quest: Mix running and punching and what you get? An addictive title that needed more care than usual but the reward was big. Boss fights, death traps and an awesome combo system are some of its perks. Another true endless game.

Indiana Stone: My favorite behind the back runner where you play as the chaser... What more can I say? no IAP? Fun? Oldschool?

Worm Run: This one does two things: Adds a lot of rush with the worm chasing you and presents a new, effective and suiting new control style to the mix, which just enhances the adrenaline feeling going through your veins. And has some other clever ideas too.

Banana Kong: More of a platformer take on runners and with some resemblance to Ski Safari. Its fun and gets really challenging while it has some unique things going for it, like the rooftops and the animals abilities.

Time Surfer: Tiny Wings on crack. That explains it pretty good.

Le Vamp: Instead of jumping you help the little guy escape from the persecutors that want revenge on him by manipulating the environment around him. Great power up system, lots of different things to do in game keeping you on your toes the whole time and its fun at the same time.

Some that arent runners, or endless, but deserves to be mentioned:

Rayman Jungle Run, Tilt to Live, Silverfish, Gunslugs, Badland, Polara, Monsters Ate My Condo, Super Hexagon, PlicPlic, Super Crate Box, Fireball SE, Super CrossFire, Super Mole Escape.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    EP - So I am curious why your broke out TROz as opposed to any of the Temple Run apps - is it mainly the changes of environment, and background or have the mechanics changed as well enough to make a significant difference?

12. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    Thing with Jetpack Joyride is that the game forces you to die after some distances, and latter distances (10k+) require quite a bit of luck, hence the leader boards only show a distance of 30k as all-time highest score.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #33 Exact-Psience, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    Why TROz from the others? Coz i truly believe it to be the best TR title out, and it's pretty moot to recommend more than one TR game when they all are endless games without a story.

As far as mechanics go, these are the changes that i see as improvements from previous titles.

1. Jump is tweaked and somehow more balanced. In previous TR titles, You can jump vary far or very short depending on the height from where you launch yourself. Oz fixed this by giving you a fixed distance, only affected by your forward speed.

2. Balloon ride is so much better than the minecart ride. In TR2, you'd almost always want to avoid the mines if you can. All tilt, and has some frames of animation to switch from left bank to right bank and vise versa, means you are going to mess up when it gets too fast, with almost no chance of getting through.

In Oz's Balloon Ride, you NEVER get a game over screen which makes it more of a breather than a dreaded position. It makes it a more desirable part of the game, and a game is only good if it makes you want to desire everything in it. Failing in the balloon ride only means you will get back on ground faster as the balloon will land sooner.

3. Balance when it comes to using Revive. The upgrades in TR2 that let you use less gems to revive means that one will be using revives a lot... And there's the power that lets you gain 2 gems per use which is so broken. Never liked that powerup, and i never liked that upgrade.

4. The narrow ledges are back which where taken out from TR2. Best thing about them is that they give more variety in how you play. In TR2, the only way to use tilt is to tilt as far left or as far right to get through those that need tilt. In TR, TRBrave and TROz, the narrow ledges make it so that you have a mechanic that takes advantage of the tilt's analog function.

5. The hidden pickups is a unique implementation to TR titles, and most other runners as well, which makes it a fresh mechanic to play with, especially with the Pickup X of Certain Powerups missions.

6. The transition from area to area is a friggin great mechanic that should be used by other titles, and the only one i can think of that did this before TROz is Agent Dash, but there it was more compulsory, while here, it's a choice.

7. When turning corners, when you swipe early, Oz will "slide/drift" before turning the corner, which is a pretty neat addition, and was inspired by Pitfall!.

These are the ones i can think of right now, but i have to say, that controlling your moves in TROz just feels perfect, as opposed to previous titles which can sometimes feel clunky, like TR2's mine cart rides, and TRBrave's Arrow-shot sequences.

Also, if you notice, my points #3, 4, 6 and 7 are proven mechanics from previous titles and other runner games. These are improvements borrowed from the best of everything, and they make the game feel more polished.

The amount of environment changes and backgrounds in previous TR titles and even in other runner titles pale in comparison to what TROz offers. That adds up to the game variety, and in effect, to the game's content, which makes this the most massive TR title as well. More varieties in traps like the broken statues, spiked plants, and the arches in the Dark Forest; the Winkie guards that put up their spear-banners randomly only if you are close enough, the Flying monkeys that attack you head-on... The list goes on.

So yeah, even with minimal mechanic-changes but with this massive content addition, it still makes this a worthy game to call "Best TR title." The mechanics changes are there to make sure it secures that throne without contest.

TL:DR version... TROz is better than previous TR titles because it has improved mechanics, better additional mechanics, and 3 or 4 times more content to be experienced as you play through the game.

The only part TROz lacked (not that it's really needed) is character options, or maybe even just different costumes for Oz.

14. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    #34 Elixir, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    I honestly do not know what happened, but after some offline play in my new TR Oz, 700k coins for absolutely no reason appeared in my inventory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was 700k, whist in my excitement I quickly upgraded and unlocked every part of the store which explains the 200k remaining, but nevertheless interesting bug as I somehow ended up with $150 worth of coins after playing for 2 days - and 29 games in total. :$ Oh, my account has restrictions enabled on iap too, so yeah... There goes the fun of unlocking all powerups and upgrades ahaha..

Edit: after getting TR Oz thanks to EP, it is the best endless runner I've played to date. The obstacles are very balanced and nothing will kill you cheaply. However, the roots, collapsing ground and winkie (wizards?) will force you to stay focused as you don't see them coming until a few meters away. Also, the landscape and environments are gorgeous too.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #35 Exact-Psience, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    This time, it came from you. Glad you loved it.

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks EP.

Looks like I'll get it. I like Keith and Natalia so that makes it easier to buy.

17. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Minion rush, Jetpack, Monster dash, Canabalt, Hellkid, ...

18. younginqd

younginqd Member

Aug 10, 2010
    China
    minion rush is really a surprise cause judging from the screens I thought that it's gonna be 99% the same as subway surfer.

But turns out that it combined a lot of features of other hot endless runners + fun minigames, besides, the minions are just too cute!!

19. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Ninja Slash, Redline Rush, I Hate Zombies, Undead Soccer, Zombie Tsunami, Hill Climb Racing. Ninja Slash is still free I think (It's an awesome game btw). Redline Rush is Temple Run + a bit of Burnout. I Hate Zombies is an awesome game with a very little twist. Undead Soccer is more a endless arcade but it's uniquely fun. Zombie Tsunami is awesome. Hill Climb Racing will never let go of your hook.

20. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Redline rush and Verticus.
    Rush since its like a car chase.
    Verticus since it feels like I'm flying.