Best Bullet Hell Shmups.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tzual, Sep 4, 2010.

1. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    What are the best Bullet Hell games on iPhone? I can't play Espgaluda II or Dodonpachi since i have a 2g iPod Touch. Any alternatives?

2. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Assault Squadron is short, but a lot of fun and extremely challenging to play on harder difficulties.

3. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    How short is it? I've heard that is was short from many people.

4. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    Only 6 levels. However, going back to play them on higher difficulties will keep you occupied until you get you $2.99's worth.

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Does Assault Squadron have a lite version? I've been wanting one myself, but I'd like to give a lite version a shot first just to make sure I enjoy bullet hell games.

6. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Same i wish they had a lite for Assault Squadron.

7. raptor200

raptor200 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    assualt squadron is my fav shmup and ive played almost every shmup on the appstore expect cave pricey games.
    check out my itunes review for more info.

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #8 medianotzu, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    Lots of shmups are short. I don't think Assault Squadron is shorter than the Cave games...? It's not really about length with these games, they're supposed to be arcade experiences (intended to play for high scores.) There are a few that are significantly longer--Tyrian is epically long, heck, the lite version of Tyrian is still one of the longest vertical shooters available...and Space Invaders: IG has a relatively long campaign. But I don't understand why Assault Squadron is always being singled out for being short when most of these vertical shooters are about the same length.

Anyway, Phoenix will be coming soon, which looks to be a pretty pure "bullet hell" shooter, but the only other one I can think of that is close to being like the cave games that will run (well) on 2G devices is Assault Squadron. Don't hesitate to pick it up.

But I love my Space Invaders: IG, and R-Type. And Ultrablast is currently free, and an excellent shooter as well. One thing there is no shortage of is good vertical shooters for the iPhone.

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    So what's the most bullet-hell like game that's either free or has a lite version. I enjoy vertical shooters to a degree, mostly games like 1943, but I wouldn't exactly call them bullet hell shooters.

And I just noticed this, but csklimowski, you have the greatest signature I've ever seen, but you forgot about being thrown onto a fence.

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    rRootage Online has a free ad-supported version.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ah yes being pushed onto a dagger like fencepost. That can't be forgotten.

12. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Worldy Wings is pretty damn cute. I suggest checking it out. :)

13. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    #13 ipod_david, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  14. ipod_david

May 3, 2010
  15. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
  16. ipod_david

May 3, 2010
    http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/classes/cmps080k/Winter07/lectures/shmups.pdf (page 18)

technically warblae is a great shooter but not a bullet hell or manic shooter. He asked specifically for bullet hell ones. (I know that even icarus-x isnt really such genre but except ESPII and Dodonpachi and rRootage there arent much in the appstore)

17. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I've been enjoying Assault Squadron lately and it's pretty hard. Even on Normal. I can't wait for Phoenix.

18. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Rrootage and noiz2sa are the only worth while bullet he'll shooters on the app store aside from the cave ports. If you don't mind something more traditional, warblade is an awesome galaga style shooter, and one of the lengthiest and most involved on the system.

19. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
  20. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    If I added that, then I would completely spoil the third case.