Best air sharing app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pablo19, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I was thinking about buying the "air sharing" app which is currently on sale for 4.99$ has anybody here purchased it? If there is a better one that does the same thing could you post about that too? Thanks for the help

2. razorianfly

razorianfly Well-Known Member

#2 razorianfly, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    Hey,

I didn't exactly purchase this, I nabbed it when it was free. It's satisfactory, nothing fancy. It does the job if you wish to carry around large documents.

I reviewed it recently, if you wanna take a look, you'll find the review at my usual haunt, [url="http://www.razorianfly.com/2008/air-sharing-the-last-piece-of-the-jigsaw-or-is-it/"
    ]here[/url]. ;)

It may help your buying decision, it may (and probably will) confuse matters, :rolleyes:
    I can't say I've looked into any alternative 'storage' type apps recently.

R-Fly

3. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I have air sharing, its one of the most useful apps i have. There are a few others but some of them rely on desktop software, id rather have air sharing or one of the others that use webdav since no client software is needed, just a web browser, or if you like you can mount it as a drive on any common OS.

It does work perfectly for me on 4 diff OS, xp, vista, osx and linux. The only thing it doesn't do that i would like, is the ability to connect to other servers and download things from the device itself, some other apps can do this.

4. Omnithrope

Omnithrope Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #4 Omnithrope, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    I got it when it was free and its decent ;)

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup also got it when it was free. I like it a lot for putting lectures on and following along on the iPod rather than printing the paper :)

7. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    rootbeersoup - saving the planet one step at a time ;)

8. dreyfus2

dreyfus2 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    As others said, Air Sharing is decent, it is nothing special (got it while it was free too). I strongly prefer Briefcase, as it uses a different concept. Instead of mounting on the computer as a volume, you connect to your Mac through Remote Login (SSH) and browse and download files proactively from the iPhone. You can even sign in to an account that is not currently in use. It can also download entire directories and share data between iPhones.

There is another category of sharing apps, that does support multiple connection types (including FTP and WebDAV/MobileMe), e.g. iStorage (supports multiple protocols and can even email the files as attachments from the iPhone through a user specified smtp server, plus it can edit plain text files). While I like the feature set, I strongly prefer the concept of Briefcase.

Anyhow: You should carefully check the supported file types and protocols. They differ quite a bit. Some apps only do MS Office docs and PDFs, while others support iWork and multiple plain text formats as well.

9. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
  10. Omnithrope

Omnithrope Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    You don't need any other software. You CAN use their software, or just use any browser.

It's just a web server on your iPhone... no other software is necessary.

11. wisegrape

wisegrape Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Get Air Sharing

I have tried Datacase and Air Sharing. I prefer Air Sharing. It was easy to setup and use on OSX. I like the newly added passcode feature to keep sensitive documents from prying eyes. I was hoping Datacase would add this feature and I don't recall an update to add this. I have had Datacase uninstalled for several months now. Datacase was easy to use and worked well but I wanted to lock access and couldn't without locking out my phone altogether. Images in Air Sharing seem to display better and you can play them is a slideshow. If I remember correctly Datacase requires you to select "next image".

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Well, Air Sharing is the only one I've used. I really like it and the instructions are great. It's easy to use and looks nice.

Don't know if that helps, but that's what I think ^ :)