iPad Besiegement?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by McChikun, Oct 27, 2008.

1. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Hey guys,
    There's a new tower defense game out called Besiegement! I'm considering a purchase, so if anyone's already bought it, what do you think?

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    :eek: It has zombies! I might have to buy this.

I found this too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxW9MNLyu4k
    (Make sure your volume is up. The dev is listening to Locomotion :D ).

The graphics and sounds aren't tat great, but there seems to be a lot of gameplay.

It has a speed setting too. That's something I wish Fieldrunners had, for those waves that you know you won, but you have to sit and watch the whole thing play out.

Despite the graphics, this looks promising.

3. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Agreed the graphics are a turndown but ill still consider purchasing it.

4. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    Yeah, the story mode, with varied maps and enemies, make this game look like a worthwhile purchase, despite the graphics. Those two features, at the very least, distinguish it from Mote-M and Fieldrunners.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    As much as I love Fieldrunners, I have to agree.

I think I'm going to try it. It looks like a lot of game for $4. I've been enjoying some of the old school games with crappy graphics in the app store lately.

6. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    it also has cows, poor defensless cows in which you slaughter mercelessly as they try to cross the field

this might be fun

7. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Ok so i picked it up, ill post a review once my plane lands :)

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Did you land yet??? I gotta know if it's worth it. I got an itchy finger :D

9. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    I just picked it up too. I'll jot down some thoughts in a bit.

10. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    So, I've played through a few of the first levels of Besiegement, and I've gotta say, it's better than I expected. The screen caps of the game really make the game look, graphics-wise, worse than it actually is. Everything moves at a decent clip, and even better, there's the option to fast-forward the pace of the game, an option sorely missed in Fieldrunners and Mote-M.

This game is your typical tower defense fare, featuring (as far as I can tell) 10 towers that can be upgraded something like 6 times. Unlike Fieldrunners and Mote-M, however, which basically leave you a wide-open field, letting you maze the enemies however you please, the enemies in this game follow a set path. This game also features what, at least at this point, seems to be a lengthy Story Mode, with each stage featuring a different map and varied enemies.

Although I'm only a bit into the game, it seems a bit too easy so far. Here's hoping that it'll get more difficult in the later stages. The ability to zoom in and out of the map would be useful, although, interestingly enough, when you move to place a tower, the game automatically zooms in to a set level, presumably to help with placing it. It's a bit disorienting, although not a big deal.

Overall, I'd say that this game is easily recommendable for fans of the TD genre. As described above, it is unique enough to distinguish itself from Fieldrunners and Mote-M, both great TD games in their own right. Unlike some other releases, this game seems to be bug-free upon release, making it a safe buy, rather than an investment (hoping for the developer to fix problems with updates) at $4.

11. Valmont

Valmont Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Besiegement looks like it could be pretty interesting. It seems a bit more complicated then Fieldrunners. For those of you who have (or have played at least) both games, which one do you think is more fun? I used have fun playing some of the tower defense games on warcraft and having that type of game for a touch seems like it would be a good investment.

12. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    #12 CloneWars, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    Hahahaha yes i did and heres my review:
    In a nut shell its a good game and worth (not WELL worth) the 4$
    The story mode is ok but so far very easy although they try to throw in a story the difficulty basically just gets bigger and bigger, but still kinda cool.
    You have to follow a path which in my opinion kinda takes away from the whole TD effect. There are roughly 10 towers that can be updated 6 times (very much like mote m)
    All and all though its a pretty good game, but id wait for the update (which there hopefully will be) because there are several bugs that make it hard to play (i.e. the game will randomly shut off)

13. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    Hrm. I haven't had trouble with the game automatically shutting down on me.

Anyhoo, if I had to recommend over the other, I would say that Fieldrunners is the safer purchase. The game is much more polished (it's graphically gorgeous, although it could definitely use some sound), and certainly replayable.

However, what Fieldrunners lacks is variety (you play on the same map with the same four towers in three difficulty modes), which is something that Besiegement seems to have more of with its story mode. Every stage in Besiegement, at least thus far, has a different map, and there appear to be a wider variety of enemies. Furthermore, whereas Fieldrunners has only 4 towers, which each can be upgraded twice, Besiegement has 10 towers that can be updated something like six times.

I'll probably be able to better evaluate Besiegement tomorrow, after I play more levels and get a better feel for the overall game. However, for the time being, both are great games, but Fieldrunners just has that extra polish.

On a final note, if you haven't already, I'd give Mote-M a shot. It's only $1, and, although I personally have had more trouble doing well in it compared to these other two games, it's probably the best bang for your buck. The developer for Mote-M seems to update the game pretty regularly, listening to user feedback and adding more towers and whatnot.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thanks clonewars... Sounds like I will wait on this one. Tommorow is tues. Seems like good stuff comes on tues.

15. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I don't know - I kind of like this one. It needs zoom, and a way to return to the main menu without 'forfeiting' a game, but otherwise it's pretty good (if not too easy) ...

16. AndrewENZ

AndrewENZ Active Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Graphic Design
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I found it easy for the first 5 rounds or so, but now it's getting difficult. Good game balance overall, and feels like it's a full and finished game (even though the graphics aren't the best). Not quite as fun as fieldrunners, but a lot more in depth.

17. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I don't know - I got golds on every level until the last one - it is insanely difficult. I can't even get halfway through without losing (let alone trying to get a gold) ... Even worse, after placing in the top ten on every map, I'm at #30 on the last one - and that's with me dying less than halfway through. :rolleyes:

I think the developer needs to tone it down a bit towards the end, or at least ramp up the kill values.

18. CloneWars

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Yesss they do good things do come on tuesdays.
    For example today I got this HUGE client to join with us. Which means mor e $$$ which means more appps :) :p

19. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Do you guys think it's worth getting?

20. McChikun

Oct 26, 2008
    Having played a bit more of the game, I'd still say it's a worthy purchase for fans of tower defense games. I would still recommend Fieldrunners overall over this purchase (it's a much more polished game), but that may change as more features are added to Besiegement with updates. Mote-M's also a good TD game for only $1.

Whereas I said before that the game seemed very easy, the difficulty has definitely ramped up starting with the 5th level. The only problem is that it's starting to feel like you're less flexible with how you approach the levels - I'm finding it difficult to survive beyond the certain waves unless I have certain specific towers in place.

Still, this game offers more variety than the other TD games I've found for the iPod Touch or iPhone. It's been running smoothly (I still haven't had it crash my iPod Touch yet) and seems to be bug-free so far, something certainly worth appreciating giving other App Store releases. So yeah, I'd say check it out.