iPad Being Left Handed and Gaming

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Coldar, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I posted my 2 cents in regards to the Gemmed game having the colors changed due to color blindness for some people and it got me to thinking that most of the games are geared for right handed people in regards to controls, primary buttons, etc. Probably most lefties don't notice because we conform to these games but I noticed when I'm playing some word games I'll find myself reaching across the screen to tap a button instead of my right hand thereby blocking my view and if done repeatedly it gets to be annoying. I noticed Internal Force actually had an option for left or right handed playing and would like to see this implemented more so (if possible) in future games. Wondered if anyone else has any minor grievances with some games caused by being left handed? And if there game play would improve if had an option to use left handed controls as an alternative?

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    im left handed and i see no problem at all with any of my games. Which ones give you trouble?

3. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    We added an option to flip the screen in Bonce On for just this reason :)

4. lilboarder32

lilboarder32 Member

Jan 20, 2009
    High School Student
    Arizona
    Left Handed

I'm left-handed to and I dont seem to have many problems with too many games. I'm sure it has happened before, but nothing on my mind right now. Which games specifically are you having troubles with?

5. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    im not a lefty but i totally see how that could mess you up with the controls reversed to you, but is it really that hard or just annoying...

6. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Like iHangman (simple game but) all the tiled letters are on the right side and using the left hand covers the guy getting hanged if use wrong letters for instance and miss that part.

7. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I totally agree it is a problem for us left handed cripples out there :)

Theseus has a nice option for Left-Handers, it switches all the buttons onto the opposite side of the screen, making it much easier to use

8. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Another is Bubblyz. Fire button or right and would prefer on left. My score would be higher if so....dunno, just like to have the right (left?..heh) feeling when playing the games......natrual feel.

9. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I'm not left handed myself, but it was one of several things I made sure to do in Smiles. Tilting left or right puts the undo/pause buttons on each side, so you can pick which is more comfortable.

10. Hi I've added left-handed option in 2079 in the last update.

11. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

I'm also left-handed and don't see this as a significant problem in games.

12. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Think Nanosaur 2 had an slight issue with wishing buttons were on the left. Can't think of them (games) right now.....getting late. Maybe because I don't really think of it till I'm actually playing a game and then subconsciously revert to a right handed thinking mode. Think alot of lefties do this automatically so we don't think of it as a problem. I'm just wondering if my scores would increase in some games if I was able to play in a comfortable left handed setting/controls with some of my games.

13. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I'm lefthanded (and colour-blind... what a nuisance kid!), and the the only game that annoys me is iMafia... the slider for increasing the number of items to buy works fine for right-handers but I block the whole screen when selecting. Not that there's alot of action going on tho... hahahaha :p
    Nothing else really. Appreciate that 2079 does have left-hand mode, but so far no real make-or-break issues.

I think its not so much an issue because we're all brought up and bred to use joypads with the directions on the left side and buttons on the right. If someone gave me a SNES controller with controls on the other side, I think I'd freak out. Have to re-learn how to do a dragon punch again!

14. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I appreciate all the devs considering color blindness as well as being left handed in their game development. Shows you care. Thanks!

15. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    well this explains why all your replies are in red!- ---- - -- -I always wondered ...good thing you are not dyslexic!

16. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    you lefties are lucky im fat-handed and the only apps that are accessible to me are land-scape email apps. wish monster typer was landscape. i think the only people who got it worse than fat-handed people are the blind and the no-handed. i wouldnt know how to help them out though but i wish there were a lot more apps with more custimizable orientation and button options that let you place the buttons wherever you like. games like seven cities and fieldrunners let you zoom in which helps out a bit

17. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I, like it seems most left-handed people in this thread, just got used to playing games right-handed. In fact, it's actually harder for me to play games with my left hand. But that's okay - I just use my left hand when I'm bowling, so at least it gets a little bit of a workout :)

18. i'm a lefty

games like 2079 with left-handed options are easier to adapt to, but I can do it either way

work on your ambidexterity

we have an advantage to start out with

19. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I don't have any problems, mostly because I'm used to a right handed world and there are far more troublesome things out there (baseball gloves, scissors, heavy machinery, etc.).

Although I loathe those damned ergonomically designed computer joysticks, you know, the ones you HAVE to use your right hand for and it seems like they don't even make any alternatives anymore, you know the ones.

But that's not an issue with the iPhone/Touch:)

20. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I'm left handed, no problems here.