Universal Beholder (by Creative Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, May 17, 2017.

1. HEiRAVON

HEiRAVON Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    #21 HEiRAVON, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    # CREEPY good game!

Got my first camera set up on a tenant after he left his apartment, surveiled him obama style, got the dirt on him then had him beat and arrested.

Artwork is wonderful, and the gameplay is dark, but fun!!!

2. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Yeah, just got the bundle this morning - haven't had a chance to play anything yet. Owlboy was the impetus, but this caught my eye as well. Looks like it'd be a no brainer on iPad, I might have to buy again :)

3. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Good but linear!

The art is cool and so is the large apartment interacting with the people. Each of the person's story is nice as you learn more about them and their problems. But it's the same character with the same problems and there's an optimal solution. I don't mind dying but it's the same script until I get to the last point where I died.... What a waste of time to do the same thing over until u get to the point where you died and figure out the evidence to gather... too linear for me!

4. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.
    #24 imusic, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    I don't know how far you've gotten but it's not that linear. A.) you don't have to die (at least not from what I can tell so far). B.) different actions result in very different consequences, and C.) you don't have to keep starting over; that's what the saves are for.

EDIT: Yeah, you definitely don't have to die. There're actually multiple ways you can die, or go to prison, or live, or live happily ever after. If anything, it's more like an interactive "choose your own adventure."

5. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    how to paste propaganda posters?

6. rtificial

rtificial Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    pastry chef
    Georiga
    Yea I mainly got it for owlboy too. Can't wait to see what else gets added.

7. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA.
    Tap on the little empty squares on the walls.

8. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp New Member

May 23, 2017
    #28 d5aqoëp, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Great little game. I managed to complete it with good ending where I saved all the 4 members of the family and settled them abroad to live happily ever after.

Spoilers
    1. Steal the Paul Williams book from Klaus Schimmer. That book is worth $7500 later. That book is available in his room after it becomes illegal. Try to smuggle out Klaus and his wife with help of Jones Popanedo. If you blackmail Klaus, he will leave and will not help at the end.
    2. Try to send profile with 4 or above items. Lower than 3 items give you lower amount.
    3. Sell the Paul Williams book when it is deemed illegal. Use that to pay for Martha's treatment as well as for Patrick's eloping with his girlfriend. Keep paying for Martha's treatment till she is better and keep giving money to your nagging wife till she stops asking for items and money.
    4. Buy all apples from the trader. You need to first blackmail people by planting Apples as evidence. After you get $2000 from them, arrest them by using another coloured apple or any other evidence you found. Similarly all Blue ties can be used as bait if you exhaust all apples. Don't blackmail them twice.Your blackmail is ignored 2nd time on-wards.
    5. Try to arrest as much people as possible. Make sure you search their belongings kept outside their room and take all their stuff.
    6. Don't evict/arrest the undercover dude (Antoine?) and help him. Later he comes to live in your basement for few days, Don't give him up by "not telling" that his is living in your basement.
    7. The only items worth stealing are Coins. They sell for 10000 each when they are deemed illegal later in the game. Best is to evict people to get their valuables. I had 4 coins and sold them for 40000 to pay for visa and emigration fees at the end. Don't sell unless you have no option. Many items fetch higher price later in the game.
    8. Pay $5000 to the feminist lady on the road. Then she will tell you to place bet on Wise Chief at the end. That will make you $50000.
    9. Just don't evict/arrest emigration officer Georg Dreiman as he will help you to leave the country for money. Final amount for leaving is decided on how many people you helped. So keep helping people.
    10. Use level II cameras for spying as they have good cost to productivity ratio.
    11. Meet and Talk to each and every person to unlock quests and opportunities to earn money.

Overall, the game is well done and I got good 10 hrs out of it with multiple endings.

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    good for you.. my wife commited suicide and I got arrested for fraud :D
    I just love this game. Going for another run.

10. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA.
    #30 imusic, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    The only pet peeve I have so far (not enough to lower it to 4 stars) is that, in addition to a few typos here and their, the narrator mispronounces a lot of words in what I suspect is an attempt to hide his Russian accent. Which feels clumsy and unprofessional. As a former Soviet emigre, myself, I'm certainly not bashing him or claiming they should've hired an American or a Brit. But if English is not your first language and if you're planning to still record your voice for the game, why not just pronounce the words comfortably, using whatever accent feels natural to you, instead of hiding it with a poor imitation of an "American" accent? It just comes across feeling bizarre - like Keanu Reeves' accent in Dracula. More to the point, a Russian accent would fit naturally here in the game's setting, given its obvious allusion to being pre-perestroika Soviet society.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    40% off for the holiday

12. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Well then; there really is no excuse to not add it to the stupidly large backlog, is there?

13. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Lol
    That is funny!
    No choice!

14. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Glad I picked this up really solid game

15. BlingBlang

BlingBlang Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm surprised there's so little discussion around this game. Only 4 pages?

16. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Please update Beholder to support the new 2018 iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" resolution/aspect ratios.
    It's running in a smaller window with black bars on all 4 sides at the moment.
    Thank you