Bebot

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jupiter21, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    i just got it and its so cool!

i recommend it to everyone.

it seems to be an app that not many people know about, but its sooo cool. :D

2. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
  3. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
  4. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Wow....that's something....Jupiter, what do you use it for? How is "everyone" going to use it?

5. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    I'm reviving an old thread here (see, used the search :) )

This little app is a gem worth a little more exposure. I re-found it accidentally when browsing iPhone musical apps on YouTube. When it first appeared, I had dismissed it as another crap robot sound generator toy. I guess it was the cutesy graphics that turned me off. Besides, I already had Android and Orthovox, neither of which had received much use on my phone.

But the YouTube video where a musician was getting a great performance out of Bebot made me curious, so I made the purchase. Boy, is this cool or what!
    The basic sound is a bit like Android, gliding robot sound, meh. But check out this:
    - there are three more sound generators in addition to the default Bebot sound (theremin, pulse, modulated pulse)
    - the generators have one or two timbre controls each (cutoff, resonance, pulse width and such)
    - the app is polyphonic and multitouch, so chords are possible
    - it has both free tuning and auto tune lock, you can define your own scale by dropping unwanted notes from a keyboard display. You can overlay a grid graphic showing the note positions on display
    - the autolock allows for vibrato by moving your finger horizontally, vertical movement gives tremolo
    - there is an effects unit with overdrive and delay. The delay repeat goes to infinite, so you can loop and overdub your ongoing performance. AND you can change sound parameters, scaling and such while looping! I created a cool loop with staccato pulse rhythm, chord pad, bass line and theremin melody in a minute.

I could rave on, but my iPhone is almost out of battery. Just wanted to give a hint to those who might have dismissed this app due to it's appearance. Don't take me wrong, Bebot is a toy but a very powerful one, and it allows a surprising amount of creative usage. Just check out the YouTube video, can't remember the guy's name who demoed it in his studio nor can I link it here, but make a search on bebot and iPhone.

Sorry for ranting, but this app was so much more than I was expecting :D

6. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Just a quick addition: the YouTube video I was referring to is called "Rudess meets Bebot", a nine minute review with a very cool performance as an intro. Maybe someone on a computer could add a link here?

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Here you go. :)

8. Wow. Totally wasn't expecting that. It's actually good! Like, really good. If there were more patches this would be a seriously awesome platform either for live jamming or live recording of expressive instrumentation that's difficult to get without dedicated hardware.

Pity it has all that robot business about it, like it doesn't take itself seriously enough.

9. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Thanks spmwinkel! Oh, I checked out this 'Rudess guy' who made the glowing review... turns out he is the keyboardist of Dream Theater! Wow, way to get promotion to a robot toy :D

10. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    :cool: So cool that Jordan Rudess is involved with this app... congrats to the developers.

11. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    :D When I saw his name in the app description, I was like "Wow! I need to check this out."

If you like extremely, complex, heavy/metal prog-rock instrumental music... check out Liquid Tension Experiment... Jordan Rudess is the keyboard player.

12. Gamer-Winner

Gamer-Winner Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Excellent synth.

Even my daughter likes to play around with this one! :)

No kid can resist making the robot go "OOOWOWOOOWOOWOOO!" ;)

14. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Way too bump an old thread :rolleyes:

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks like they're new here.

Anyway Bebot (and the Jordan Rudess video) is awesome! :)

16. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I love BeBot! My amazingly drunk friend was able to compose masterpieces for an hour. It's so cute and it didn't get annoying at all ;)