Universal Beben III - (by Ronny Stiftel) (Play Quake III on iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 8, 2014.

1. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Works now :) however I still can't enter my cd key. I've copied my PC files over from the disc and the levels are all locked out. I open to put the cd key in but there is no keypad?

2. fusermarucs

fusermarucs Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Exactly the same thing happens on my 4S...
    :(

3. evill33t

evill33t Member

Oct 30, 2013
    CD-Key for local single player and multiplayer is not needed, the leveles are locked cause you need to unlock them (play from tier1 first map onward) i add cd key support for playing on the off pc servers with the next version (though most won't work cause no punk buster support on iOS ;) anyways multiplayer between iOS devices locally and online work well already

4. twistedmind87

Apr 21, 2013
    Works on my iPhone 5 7.0.4 :) will have a play around with it later :) thanks for you're help!!

5. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    @Evil33t: QUAKE 3 Shareware it's a demo?if I'm correct have only some levels..can be played singleplayer offline?

6. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Game Impressions

So far, I'm amazed what you've pulled off here, its running awesome on my iphone 5 and im sure it will on my ipad mini retina too... i cant believe im playing this on my phone. Bravo:

Suggestions, if you are taking them on board:

1)I also do have a gripe with the controls, maybe just copy what Gameloft does for modern combat4/Nova3 really as a control option. I fly through those games and really enjoy that set up. a fire button that we can re-position (and or resize) is crucial.

2) jump button under that closer to the bottom right of the screen. allows us to quickly jump and fire etc. I don't recall if Q3 had crouch.. did it?

3)Use button, its been a while but what was "use" even used for? switches/doors? can that just occur automatically? Don't know if you have to modify game code for that and that may not get Carmack's blessing.

Hope you take these on board, and I love it. great work. Now to dig and find my old Q3Arena cd!

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I think for 1) it'd be easiest if the icons can be moved around and resized, then the dev wouldn't need to worry about the different control schemes to suit everybody's needs. And yes a fire button will be immensely helpful for a twitch shooter. No time to be double tapping and missing that first shot to line up the second shot.

I also was wondering about the use button, all power ups and doors activate. But now that I think about it, I could've sworn there was one particular item that you can manually activate, but probably not that important.

8. twistedmind87

Apr 21, 2013
    Anyway to change the annoying inverted controls? I've got the walk set up normally but this inverted look is driving me insane!! :(

9. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    the inverted thing I dont have.. mine works right on first run.. so is this an issue with certain devices??

10. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    @seantyas

what device do you have? and when you use your joystick does it strafe or turn your character?

11. seantyas

May 27, 2009
    im only using my touchscreen so if you mean joystick, the left side of the screen works for movement (forward back/and strafing) right side is looking/turning and its all normal. not inverted.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Have the Windows version of QIII running in Steam by way of Wine on my Mac. It works just fine. Made the folder and zip file and followed all the instructions to add it to Beben III through iTunes, but no matter what I get the error "Couldn't load default.cfg" when trying to play.

If I take the default.cfg file from the QIII Shareware folder, it actually will load the full game files but there is all sorts of weird gobbledygook at the beginning of the game. It looks like it's not rendering the menus correctly so I just sort of tap on stuff until I get a game started. While somewhat working, this isn't ideal :)

Would really like to figure out how to get the full game going and get past this dumb default.cfg error.

13. evill33t

evill33t Member

Oct 30, 2013
    did you include the q3ios_00.pk3? If so and it still won't work try to make a zip of just the *.pk3 files no cfg files or anything else, that should fix your problem.

edit: before importing a new game delete the current installation (swipe from right to left on the quake 3 arena entry)

14. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    @boardumb

according to the site, also make sure your copy of the game is updated to 1.32 (can find the patch anywhere) in addition to the other steps

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks guys for the help. Tried making a zip of just pk3 files and still didn't work. Tried again by using the 1.32 updated files and didn't work with that either. Frustrating because the Open Arena and shareware versions run flawlessly. :confused:

16. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    These controls are awful, the fact that the entire screen acts as a touch interface for aiming leads to a lot of looking at the floor because I didn't quite hit the virtual stick for movement.

Aiming needs to be exclusive to the right half of the screen. An option to have the entire left half as movement would be good too, it's impossible to get your finger back on the virtual stick while aiming.

This game is unplayable for me due to this.

If you can do those 2 things than we are set.

Also, as others noted, the double tap and hold to fire is awful, please add a button!

I also cannot get the game to rotate, hate having my hand covering the speaker while I play.

17. ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady Member

Jun 4, 2013
    I downloaded Quake Shareware and when I try playing it the iOS keyboard keeps popping up making it unplayable. Any way of preventing this that I am missing?

18. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Has me imagining EliminatePro. EP was literally my all time fav ios game. God those were the days. Stupid ngmoco ruined such a great thing.

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Eliminate was some of the most fun I've had iOS gaming too. Have you played Neon Shadow? http://appshopper.com/games/neon-shadow Gives me a heavy Eliminate vibe, but sadly there's never anyone playing online. Single player campaign is really fun though.

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    ^^ Online is soooooo ridiculously fun in Neon Shadow

But yeah, I've only played by inviting some TA members to games. Only gotten into 1 auto match game