Universal Beat Street (By Lucky Kat Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 15, 2017.

1. LinC

LinC Member

Dec 31, 2017
    #61 LinC, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    This game is rather good. Ads are not intrusive, you choose to endure them for bonus coins. Energy thing is mostly fair, you get to play 10 stages before running out (total 20 charges, each level costs 2), and each charge takes about 10min? So you can play for about an hour before needing to wait 3-4 hours, better than the shit Gameloft makes or that horrible game Bladebound.

A few minor complaints:

1. Grabs are absolutely useless and actually can be seen as an impediment, since VERY OFTEN you accidentally grab someone leaving you completely vulnerable. This is because you AUTO grab by simply touching an enemy. Grab/throw does way less damage than regular attack, and grab/attack only hits ONE enemy at a time, so if enemies are stacked it's completely useless. Swipe to throw requires a very long swipe which takes time to perform, and most characters need a "prep throw" animation (such as Val's spinning animation) which leaves you still vulnerable
    2. Lacks boss variety. I'm up to like stage 55 and so far there are only 2 bosses? The gatling gun rat + the fat chef. All ~50 other stages just had a combination of regular enemies as "bosses"
    3. Let us preview characters. Some characters take AGES to unlock, and if we preview them and find them not likeable then we won't waste time/resources unlocking them
    4. Every single character's super move is identical - simply inflict huge damage on 1 enemy and can't be dodged. Why not have variety? Maybe some AoE or status effects?

Also, anyone know who the best character is? I'm assuming Rad since he costs the most to unlock? I've unlocked everyone except the cop, baseball bat girl and shark guy. Why does Anna (yoga girl) cost so much to unlock? She seems like the worst character. Lowest damage, low HP, average attack speed, absolutely terrible charge attack with little AoE or damage, and possibly worst throw. Seems like a total waste of time. Judo guy is like 10x better.

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    The amount of grinding is getting on my nerves. I've spent $7 on iAPs and feel as if it isn't a dent.

3. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #63 nyanpass, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    When I delete and reinstall games, does the Elite Starter Pack also be restored and remove the forced ads?

*Edit : I received a reply by Lucky Kat's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LuckyKatStudios/status/951076575361032193

Lucky Kat said that current balances are saved in iCloud or Google Play Game Services. However, since all IAPs are consumables, no forced ads isn't restored. We're looking into making this a separate IAP.

Thanks!

4. LinC

LinC Member

Dec 31, 2017
    #64 LinC, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Lol this new event is a complete joke.

- You need 150 tokens to unlock this new character
    - Grinding each level gives 1 token, takes 5-7min since you're forced to use this shitty character dealing like no damage
    - You can only grind 5 levels before the stupid energy runs out, and then gotta wait a couple more hours
    - The damn event only lasts 5 days lmao
    - Basic math tells you the only way to unlock this character is to not sleep and grind nonstop for the entire duration, or simply use IAPs and bypass the energy limit

You'd think the new character's any good? Lol of course not. With a cool looking Guandao you'd think she'd actually use it to attack. But no of course not, she just attacks with her fists like any other character, and has probably one of the worst charge attacks as it takes longer to charge than anyone else, and does pathetic damage. Only good thing about it is it hits everyone in a straight line. Just another lazy reskin with absolutely nothing new.

If you like beat em ups, download it and play a few levels, then delete it, because you'll get ZERO sense of achievement. I've already beat all 90 levels and there's absolutely no difference between level 90 and level 1 except enemies have more HP. Enemies are completely identical, the backgrounds are completely identical, and there's a grand total of 3 bosses in this game. Even the characters you unlock are all just reskins of each other with nearly zero differences in play style. Some cool looking spiked-club-wielding girl attacks completely the same way as your starting character, really? This game is the dictionary definition of grind with the absolute MINIMUM effort put into it. At least with other grindy games you earn something great at the end.

5. Lucky Kat

Lucky Kat Well-Known Member

Minimum effort? Kind of harsh when you've put blood, sweat and tears into a game like this with a team of 6 people. I do agree there's some grinding to it. It's unfortunate you can't see how much effort we've put into this game though.

Also, you a ZERO sense of achievement? Why did you continue to complete all 90 levels then? It takes least a month to complete the whole game. Thanks I guess?!

6. Lucky Kat

#66 Lucky Kat, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    We're super excited to announce hip hop artist Soulja Boy is getting his own character in Beat Street! He will be available in the next update which comes out on March 7th

7. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    #67 deresi, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Hello, Lucky Kat. Is it possible IAP to restore this character? And if I buy this character Soulja Boy, the ads will be removed as well? If so, will the ad removal feature be activated again when I restore this IAP?

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I agree with you on this! I have enjoyed some past games of theirs, but Dev is unwilling to remove the energy bar EVEN if it’s an IAP?! Decides he wants you to play the game HIS way?! Well, there’s always ANOTHER option! Don’t play his game at ALL! That’s what I’m doing! LOL! Just shot himself in the foot right there!! Oh well, his loss...# Maybe a lesson in there somewhere! Give people what they want, or at least offer it there! :rolleyes:

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Seconded. Want to love this game so much but having energy after paying to remove ads is rediculous. Wish they would listen to fan base as I love their work instead of insisting that you play how they feel it should be played. At least give the option.

10. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Thirded. One reason i saw the dev say that they didnt want people to advance too fast.

Lol, well they got what they wanted because i dont advance at all. Attention span in mobile games is fleeting at best. A month of interest in one title is on the far end for most people.

Devs that insist on limiting the time my face is buried in their game via energy and timers, get instanly deleted.

If there is IAP to remove energy then i buy the unlock and enjoy the game. If the only energy bypass is buying consumable energy then the game gets get deleted too.

Limiting peoples progression is a lame excuse. Is this WoW raiding? Or is it a beatemup game to be played while waiting for a bus?

11. Lucky Kat

Guys, appreciate the feedback and they are noted!

12. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Good analogy for a paradoxically flawed perspective on how games should optimally be played. Having a restricted approach to how often a player plays to “keep their interest” is exactly what causes disinterest. I sympathize with wanting to extend the life of the game, but throttling progression not only does nothing to enhance the gaming experience, it’s a sure fire recipe for deletion.

13. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I would 100% pay for an IAP to remove energy/ads. I understand the the thought that it can be used as a progression system for players, but typically I play for a while in the evenings and not spread out during the day.

I do truly enjoy the game (very fun, art style is on point, controls are tight and THANK YOU for including portrait mode!) BUT there is a reason why hill climb 2 is the only F2P game that has survived on my phone for a year plus; I can play it however long I like WHENEVER I like.

It is a huge plus to have events that use a different energy system so technically speaking I can always be playing, but energy systems are simply not fun :(

Huge shout out of appreciation to the developers though. This type of criticism usually comes without high praise and this game RULES and the team should be extremely proud for creating it :)

14. Lucky Kat

Thank you so much. This is very encouraging!

15. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    There was a time when I would argue with developers about the merits of energy systems and all the assorted nonsense that goes along with them. I’ve saved a lot of time and sanity by learning to ignore anything with consumable in-app purchases, wait timers, and all the other insults that accompany F2P gaming. iOS is a vast wasteland of this crap, but it’s also a great place to find some gems. Stick with the latter, my friend :)

16. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    #76 deresi, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    That's right. Lucky Cat. Now it's time to implement the functions that users want. And we are ready to pay for it.

17. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I got problems playing in portrait mode on my iPhone XS Max 256GB. The green button with the arrow that makes advancing between the various stages and screens doesn’t work in portrait mode and it’s impossible to advance in the game. Could be possible a fix for that?