Universal Beat Street: a beat 'em up playable with one hand by Lucky Kat

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Lucky Kat, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Kat

Lucky Kat Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

We've made this short VLOG called Indielog on how we experimented and made the controls work for Beat Street! Hope you enjoy it :) Please let us know what you think!!

2. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Will there be an IAP to disable if you choose to?

3. Lucky Kat

Probably there will be. We aren't sure yet.

4. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Still loving this and had an additional thought. What if you were able to grab an enemy's weapon after beating them. Would love to have that bat after knocking the punk out.

Also, gems are really hard to come by whereas coins are easy. Would you consider making the character and chest unlocks based on coins?

5. theeswelly

theeswelly Member

May 13, 2012
    Would love to test..

Signed up for a beta copy last week. Just signed up again. Look forward to your reply.

6. Lucky Kat

Hey guys, regarding beta. We're still changing a lot so we're rolling out the beta slowly per 20 people per week. Please be patient. That way we can thoroughly test what's working, what's not working.

7. Lucky Kat

Hey! We have thought about that, not sure yet. The possibilities are endless, and we need to set priorities. We're currently testing with grab moves and throwing the enemy away to have more variety in the combos. Will post a GIF later today. It's really fun!

Also changing all the levels again and balancing for this week, so gems are easier to get from the levels.

8. Lucky Kat

Adding grab movements this week!!!

[​IMG]

9. DS Anders

DS Anders Active Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Developer
    Sweden
    Been seeing this on Twitter too. Great work, looks awesome!

10. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Signed up for the beta awhile ago! But ill wait! I love the suspense!❤️

11. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Cool video. Thanks for doing it! Can't wait to play.

12. Lucky Kat

New Testflight build has been sent out to a new group of people! We have a lot of beta testers at this point, and we'll remove non-active beta testers. Sorry, but we're looking forward to getting active feedback.

Thank you!

13. LeoMoraes

LeoMoraes Active Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Oh yeah

This game is awesome and im loving each minute.

However, I felt a lack in of the ability of defend yourself. Since the enemies can defend your attacks, It would be nice if you could defend yourself too.

Until now, i only had unlocked another character, but little has changed in my experience since the char is very similar to the boy.

But, like i said, this isn't changed my experience. and i continue to love this game.

14. LeoMoraes

LeoMoraes Active Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Continuing with my impressions...

The grind is strong in this one. But the controls mechanic is very good, so it's a pleasure to play.

However the lack of diamonds in the levels (or other itens (a refresh of level itens per day could be nice - or a harder version of the level with "better" itens). its way better than back to the initial stages just to catch some coins.

And i think that's important, because you had to replay some earlier levels because of the other blocked characters .

The idea of other characters is very nice, but the difference seems minimal. Just for the last character, you have to get 90 tokens. And the char have a very similar status. So i prefer to spend resources with the boy, since he is the strongest of my team.

Seems that the only way to get the last character is buying the mythic chest. 900 diamonds or 25 bucks. Except the other itens (and tokens), i dont see a reason to want this last character. And until now, the energy system do not troubled me. And i have only 2 characters.

I hope have helped.
    Cheers!

15. Patthegymnast

Jan 12, 2016
    I signed up for the beta! Still haven’t gotten it!

16. Lucky Kat

Hey! We're adding 20 testers per week. Probably you'll be in the next batch. Sorry for the wait!

17. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Some impressions, hopefully useful to Lucky Kat:
    - there's some modest load time upon first launch with an onscreen counter; it's not terrible, but wouldn't have expected it for a game like this
    - the tutorial for core gameplay is well done and funny, as is the story
    - the icon is just gorgeous IMO
    - my 8 year old son gives it "9.5/10" as his first impression; really loves the look - said that the main character reminds him of Ash, and some of the critters you battle remind him of Pokemon
    - most confusing bits surround the freemium parts. Maybe I'm just not used to this type of thing in games, but between chests, gifts, shops, leveling up, and incentivized ads, there's some complexities there that clashes with the normal gameplay, and I'm not sure I understand all those elements.

Gameplay is generally what I expected:
    - drag to walk in any direction. The character does stop almost immediately, but sometimes I overshoot where I'm trying to go especially when attempting to line up vertically with a destructible object. He moves pretty fast, especially vertically.
    - tapping does a little combo; holding charges up a power move, but so far the power move seems pretty useless, since you can't walk while charged.
    - swipe cause the player to run allowing you to do dash attacks but often the hero will run diagonally when I'm trying to dash left/right
    - there are grab & bash techniques, but I'm not quite sure what triggers them
    - the game has a grindy feel; there's skill involved for sure, but leveling up is important
    - portrait orientation generally works, but it makes it harder to react to hazards on the left/right of the screen like cars/spikes
    - game feels like it's missing something regarding enemies; they are ridiculously cute, and love the little anime-style 'VS' screen before big battles, but their behaviors so far seem a bit samey-samey. I think having basic enemies that use long distance attacks (like throwing knifes), or enemies that jump-at-you/ground pound could go a long way towards making it more fun/tactical.

18. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    #78 raravan, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    so far so good. thanks for the invite Cats.

- graphics is crisp and shiny;
    - gameplay as intuitive as it can be;
    - tutorial is OK, but too long for my tastes;
    - unlimited energy ($?) — HOW MUCH?!
    - grind is a good thing in this type of games, nothing bother me about that.

cute.

19. Patthegymnast

Jan 12, 2016
    Its all good! Just wanted to let you know! Take your time!

20. Lucky Kat

Greend = grind? Thanks for the feedback btw