Universal Beat Hazard Ultra (by Cold Beam Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah so it is :)

Should be fixed by default really... Who on this earth wants a floating d-pad ?!???!? (not to be confused with a static d-pad appearing where you touch the screen, those are great)

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Although yesterday was strong, with Taito's incredible shooter and the long awaited Pinball Arcade, but this clearly was my purchase of the day and I can say it's the best dual stick arena shooter I've ever seen. The option to stream some internet radio stations is brilliant, since I don't have that much music on my device in times of Spotify and colleagues.

Brilliant game. Everything just oozes and clicks!

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I liked the floating ones at first. The problem arises when you stray near the screen's edge. Seconding the suggestion for adjustable fixed pads. Awesome game btw :)

4. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    So did i until i realised they were moving with me! :p

Top game though... From music library/net radio integration, soundfx, and the immense strobe effects, all the stat tracking you could want make this is a no-brainer at 69p

Your music being integrated and integral to the experience elevate the immersion greatly for me... Drum&Bass is the perfect fit :D

5. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    #85 escapedturkey, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Agreed. Or floating with boundaries. Another thing that may help with floating buttons is to have an option to keep the power up buttons (missiles, bomb, etc) on the side like in single stick. It would be easier once the fingers are trained to touch them real quick. With floating it can be difficult to determine where to touch launch a micro missile, etc.

Another suggestion: Accelerated scrolling or page up / down. I have a lot of tracks. Though I suppose a folder / tree view would be more efficient.

6. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Think I may have found why mines not working. Who else uses .m4a files instead of mp3?

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #87 awp69, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Really, really digging this game despite not having my own music to play with. Even without the musical effects, it's probably near the top of my list of DSSs on the AppStore.

Yeah, the graphics are a little rough compared to some of its sleeker looking counterparts. But the challenge, powerups, and as I mentioned once before, a shrump feel to the enemies, make it a blast to play.

The Internet radio stations are definately a great addition. The one I tried, idobi Radio (which is listed as pop, but is more alternative rock/electronic), came through flawlessly with even the track names listed.

Highly recommended for any DSS fan.

8. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Agreed! I love the option of the Internet radio stations. However, it would be nice to have a full interface to search all Shoutcast stations for a specific one and be able to favorite the ones I like.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Welcome to the forum Starg!

I second these ideas. For instance, if borrowing by artist, list all artists first, then next level is all albums and each album listed.
    Maybe add as an option to have a fixed pad that has a smoother transistion between slow movement to fast movement. At times, the game is difficult to make small movements cause I'll move my finger sightly too far and I'll run into enemies.

One thing I love about this game is the bosses. Most DSS I've tried doesn't have that great of boss fights. This one finally nails having multipart/segmented bosses where for some, you can strategize to take out which part goes towards the weakness to your play style.

Man..amazing how music can totally change the feel of each level. For instance on a survival run, I had a Nightwish song (hard and fast), followed by a Star Wars space battle theme (how appropriate for this game!), then "I'll Make Love to You" by Boys II Men (wait..what?).. lol..

10. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Can I ask what format of music files people are using in their libraries, as the majority of mine is m4a and isnt loading, ive been very lucky and the app loaded an mp3 once or twice, but crashed as soon as I tried to change. can anyone else use m4a file cos I'm fairly sure the format is my problem.

11. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i only use mp3

on a side note

anyone know's sabrepulse? try this song

Purple Haze on Insane.... i almost broke my ipod in half when i died for the first time in the last 10 seconds of the song x_x

amazingly awesome xD..cept for the dying part ._.

12. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    How do you get out of the perks screen after finishing a game?

13. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    by picking a perk ._.

on a side note... my eyes hurt x_x

14. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    Do I have to pick one? Also nothing happens when i click on it.

15. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    if it's greyed out you cant pick em... and yes you have to pick one

16. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    I have 2 that are green. Nothing happens when I click on it.

17. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Just bought the game but I can't actually play it on my iPhone 4, all the options are greyed out except "Instructions", tried going through them a couple of times but nothing. I'm I just missing something?

18. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    you need music on your iphone btw .-.

apart from that I absolutely have no clue what could be wrong...

You can't click on Play, Quick Play(both options) or Options?

I would recommend a reinstall just in case .-.

19. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Swipe up/down on main menu.
    To access internet radio, it's under the "manual select song" or whatever the name for that option.

Maybe the first update should be letting people tap the desired option on the main menu as well as letting them drag. I know I'm not the only person who though I was stuck on "instructions". Lol.. And I know it's in one of the top lines in the app info, but a lot of people don't read it..and I've seen 1 star reviews due to this confusion.

20. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Ah, drag the main menu, could've sworn I had tried that. Anyway all working now thanks!