Universal Beat Hazard Ultra (by Cold Beam Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    anyone play this with some Venetian Snares?? FREAK'N AWESOME!!! Access To Arasaka, DJ Hidden, Gridlock and Velvet Acid Christ also get a bit crazy...

At first I didn't really enjoy this one too much... but now, I'm playing it every day, and listening to more music, wondering how they'd play out in the game... =oD

2. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Good see Starg is here! You will all find out he enjoys your ideas and suggestions.

I think someone else mentioned this -- I think it's a good idea:

Power Up Taps

If there is a very very small delay, you could make it so taps activate power ups depending on which stick you tap.

Example right stick:

Tap once, bomb, tap twice, shield.

Example left stick:

Tap once, missiles, tap twice, ultra beam.

3. escapedturkey

Jun 24, 2011
    #303 escapedturkey, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Oops. Double post.

4. metalgearjsn

metalgearjsn Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I'm not sure about the tap idea - I already set off powerups just re-adjusting my thumbs on the stick, because I'm effectively tapping the stick (just need to practice hitting the centre of the stick).

As for moving them to the top of the screen, I can't see that being very easy to use, especially on suicidal mode when your thumbs need to be rooted to the sticks at all times.

I'm not having any problems other than accidentally setting them off as I mentioned above which isn't a big deal. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring in some other methods as options.

5. shafdogg

shafdogg Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I would like to see new ships and possibly new enemies. I've use the Golden ship 95% of the time; its standard weapon fires in a wider pattern than the regular ship.

Some of the new selectable ships may have their own incentives like increased damage, high scoring potential, shields that can destroy enemies instead of just deflecting them, or perhaps a ship that can suck in nearby multipliers and power-ups which saves the trouble of running the risk of getting hit near the edge of the screen.

As for enemies, one that comes to mind is something similar to the gravity well in Geometry Wars. It could have a risk/reward system were the more enemies absorbed prior to the well's destruction will result in dozens of multipliers appearing; if the well explodes on its own however, you'll be greeted by small hexagonal-shaped enemies with magnetic properties to seek your ship.

There are some other ideas that come to mind as far as enemies go, for now though, I'm interested in more selectable ships.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    While more stuff might be nice, I wouldn't hold your breath; the game has been out for a couple of years now - the "Ultra" revamp slightly less than that, admittedly - and the developer has said (of the PC version, pre-iOS release) that it is finished, and that any further serious development would be reserved for the sequel.

7. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    I don't know whether it's just me but I think the control sticks need more work as I experience unresponsiveness every now and then where I temporarily lose control of the ship because the sticks don't track properly.

I've played Infinity Field and the controls are spot on. You don't lose control even if you move your thumbs further up the screen.

8. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    My only real complaint atm is that the music can be too quiet even with VOL maxed out and device volume maxed as well. For some reason it will will play quite a bit quieter than the iOS music player can and some music just isn't mastered very loudly. This can make everything pretty underwhelming.

9. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Yes, that's something I've noticed too. There are some volume power-ups that you can pick up during the game but even then it's still a bit on the quiet side compared to the iPod/music player volume. I'm hoping that they eventually sort this volume imbalance out in the next update.

10. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Few questions:
    - Is the gameplay only on one screen (simply stay on one screen area the entire time)?
    - Where does the "music generation" come into play? I'm very skeptical about these "music generation" games unless they generate DDR-style beats, since I've played a few before where the generated track has absolutely nothing to do with the music I've selected, and the music I selected simply becomes background music

11. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    This game uses the songs you have on your device, it does not generate music. It generates levels with enemies, effects, etc. based on your music.

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. escapedturkey

Jun 24, 2011
  14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wish this would recognize other music on your device besides iTunes. I know support for Rhapsody itself will likely never come (as I'm sure there's way more people that want Pandora), but I do physically "download" music from Rhapsody and I it's in either .wma or .mp3 form on my device.

Just don't feel like spending buttloads of money on more music via iTunes when I already can get them via Rhapsody. I've broken down and purchased three or four iTunes songs just for this game. Can't afford to keep buying them (hey, I spend enough on games ;)).

Still love the game and when my music gets old, then Internet stations are at least pretty decent.

15. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

No need to. Get an Internet Radio App like FStream (I am using it since my iPhone 3G). With FStream you can record music tracks and save them to iTunes on a Mac or PC (sync with iOS device then and you have them in Beat Hazard Ultra). It's free but you'll have to add your favorite internet radio stations (mms://…) manually.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Sounds good, but I've had problems syncing my device for months now (the PC version of iTunes doesn't even recognize it). But I have a Rhapsody account and app on my device and usually stream albums but can also download them for offline playback as part of my subscription. BHU might even recognize them if it could find them, but I obviously can't import them into iTunes on my device itself.

No biggie. I'll stick with the songs I have now as well as the radio stations available in the app. And since there's been quite a few requests for Pandora, maybe I'll switch from Rhapsody to Pandora if BHU gets it.

17. Avocado Q

Avocado Q New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Music/Sound Design
    San Diego, CA
    Whoa, what an interesting concept. Space adventuring to my own tunes! Touch Arcade is gonna break my piggy bank :eek: :D

18. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The Asteroids genre has finally gotten some BALLS.

19. escapedturkey

Jun 24, 2011
    #320 escapedturkey, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Starg,

The update just came out. Works great!

Question:

Stick size = stick sensitivity?

Requests:

1) Stick size options: Very Small and/or Tiny. It could still be a bit more sensitive.

2) An option to tap for power-ups tap once, missiles, tap twice, ultra beam, etc.

3) Shake to reset floating stick position -- would be handy for real-life interruptions. :)

4) Support for iTunes playlists.

The floating sticks still feel more sensitive and accurate but the fixed sticks are better for power-up access / accuracy.

Thanks! :cool: