Universal Beat Hazard Ultra (by Cold Beam Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #281 Royce, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    Having options for placement of the stationary pads would be nice. I also really want to like the floating pads but they are too problematic currently, so it'd be great if they could be improved, though I really don't know what could be done to fix the edge issues and so forth...

Oh and also the problems I mentioned a few pages back with some buttons being fairly unusable. Really just read the thread. Plenty of people have mentioned concerns with the controls.

2. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Kinda hard to explain. Emulating vertex blaster or infinity field or pew pew controls would be great.

3. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Sorry the controls aren't working well for you. I find the fixed controls on my iphone work really good (that way I avoid the issue of the controls being too close to the edge of the screen. I do find them not as good when playing on my ipad IF I am using headphones, as the headphone cord is too close to the left edge of the screen where my thumb is, so I have to hold my ipad in a less comfortable position.

4. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    Does anyone else have problems triggering powerups when playing with dual sticks? I find sometimes I get killed trying to get one to work - sometimes it seems hit or miss. I like being able to totally control my bullets, BUT find he powerups on the right side of the screen more dependable.

It would be nice if the developers added an option to choose songs from playlists - I have about 2000 songs on my devices right now, including 200-300 classical and instrumental, but I hate not being able to totally control my musical selection when playing survival or boss rush, and I certainly don't want to remove some music just so I can play this game.

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Like I said earlier in this thread, I find both buttons below the pads difficult to use. I was getting killed by using the shield as often as it was saving me and the bomb is just a better last second escape (with it's own shield as well), and I just found I was never using the beam. It only lasts a short time and the loss of concentration and aim it required to fire for me wasn't worth it. So I just use missiles and bombs.

6. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    I really need to see the doctor - I think I have retina bleed! ;)

7. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Yes, the dev should try playing Infinity Field as the controls are spot on. At only $0.99 it'll be a good investment for the dev to check out the controls. Even Space Miner has good controls that are customisable.

8. shafdogg

shafdogg Member

Feb 12, 2012
    My only issue is triggering items by accident; and sometimes when I try to move, my thumb is out-of-place enough to miss the pad all-together. The later has caused a number of deaths.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #289 tops2, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    I agree. Its when I need to make fine movements that the "problem" shows up for me. Especially if you play a lot of PewPew or Infinity Field (I don't have Vertex Blaster), I really notice the movement controls.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This is exactly my issue as well. I've played a fair amount of Infnity Field, Pew Pew, Meteor Blitz, etc., and really don't think the dual sticks in this are bad at all. I just have issues with having to take my finger off the stick for a moment to tap to trigger a powerup and also sometimes accidentally setting one off.

The dual-sticks overall are pretty responsive to me.

11. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    For those achievement lovers, The four built in songs you need to score one million or more on are:
    Electro Injecto by Andy Rumade/X-Factor
    Beginning Tracemission by Johnny Frizz
    Syntax by Xkore
    Rattled Snake by Redshirt Theory

12. trundley

trundley Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    AH AH! After the update it seems that my music how has little cuts into it when things blow up etc. usually they just played well together but now the music either stops or goes strange, changed headphones 3 times and played without headphones, used all different kinds of music and its still happening!

13. Starg - Cold Beam Games

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi all,

Just checking in to tell you about the next update.
    - There's a fix for songs playing too slow or fast
    - Also a fix for the next song not playing in boss rush/survival
    - I've also added a separate control config screen:
    - Can now change position of fixed sticks
    - Can swap left & right controls over
    - Can change size/sensitivity of the sticks
    - Can also change these options from the pause screen

Btw, I have played pew pew & infinity field. The new options should get you closer to the feel of these games.

I've also read the comments about difficulties firing powerups in 2 stick mode. I think it might be easier if you fix the sticks. As there's 4 powerup buttons I'm not sure where else I could put them and they still be easy to fire. I did try making them separate buttons on the side, but it took way to long to press them.

Oh yes, the update will probably take 5->10 days to go though Apple QA.

Cheers,
    Steve

14. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010

This is awesome. You rock, man.

Tiny little suggestion about the controls that I think would be HUGE: Geometry Wars: Touch has this awesome option where you can set the bomb trigger to go off when you go out of bounds with your finger on one of the sticks (so you just move up/down/left/right but you swipe further with your finger than you normally would). Your controls could be set like this too with separation of top and bottom (going out of bounds top + going out of bounds bottom). Just an idea, for me personally it would work very well.

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #295 SkyMuffin, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    I've noticed this issue as well. There isn't much space for the player to really deal with buttons anywhere else, but with the current config you really have better chances just doing one-stick and worrying about powerups with the extra hand.

A few suggestions that could work:
    -Four buttons on the very top of the screen in the middle? Not sure if that is too far of a stretch for players.
    -Four buttons in the middle/bottom of the screen? That may be easier to reach but could be more cluttered.
    -Implement an auto-pause system similar to other iOS shooters, where it pauses if both hands are not on the screen/starts when both hands are on. From there, players can activate their powerups while paused.
    -I don't think this would work very well, but maybe you could use gestures/swipes for powerups? I think that would take too much effort/hassle for the player though.
    -Another method that could work is instead of having powerups go off when the player touches them ONCE, make them only activate on a double-tap.

It's nice to see a dev being active on here :)

16. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks!

17. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    That sounds great. I hope you can make the controls invisible or in Infinity Field's case, disappear once you start playing so there is no annoying white circle blocking your view.

Your update seems fine as it is though.

18. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    I was going to suggest that but you beat me to it.

Either place the power-up/special weapons buttons at the top of the screen or at the bottom (although it might be a bit of a tight squeeze if they're at the bottom between the sticks) - with an option to adjust their transparency.

Oh, and an option for the game to pause if there is no contact at all with the screen (or only one thumb is detected?) - customisable in the Options menu in case some people don't want it.

19. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    By the way, it'd be nice to see different enemies, weapons and ships like Space Miner ;)

20. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    after playing it for some time i have some suggestions or maybe even a bit of bitching. it's really cool game but the lack of some variety becomes a bit annoying, i mean it's like always the boss is snake and even if it's not snake then there are not so many options anyway. would be really nice to see some new enemies, especially because snake is really boring. the two stick controls are basically not usable because it's quite complicated to launch powerups, but there are already many suggestions how it can be improved. one stick aiming is kind of strange, because sometimes it just ignores enemies near the ship. music, well i can see how it changes, but still fail to see if there is some kind of system. when i use some classical stuff like pink floyds echoes and then use something like black metal or md metal, echoes can be much more intense. overall it's like tunes influence more visuals than actual gameplay. and like almost always in ios games the default leaderboard at gc is the most useless one. still cool game with great visuals but from itunes description i would expect more influence of music on the gameplay.