Universal Beat Hazard Ultra (by Cold Beam Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. metalgearjsn

metalgearjsn Member

Feb 12, 2012
    As a long-time fan of the PC version, I was pretty excited to see this on the app store - and I'm enjoying this version too.

The controls take some getting used to, but obviously we can't expect the same precision control that we'd get on the PC, particularly using a 360 controller. Nonetheless, I'm managing to complete most songs on Hardcore with the dual stick, fixed setup (I experienced the same problem with the floating sticks that others are mentioning, where it moves too far off the screen and screws you up).

The only suggestion I would make is maybe for the dual sticks to scale down in size. The reason for this is I find it a bit hard to make precise, quick movements, because I have to drag my thumb across the screen to hit the other side of the stick. It's not far, but it's not as responsive as flicking a 360 controller's stick or hitting WASD on a keyboard, which kind of worries me when I think about attempting songs on Insane and Suicidal. I think smaller sticks would allow me to simply "roll" my thumbs, enabling quick movement/shooting.

2. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    YESSSS!!!! I always waste my powerups at the beginning because of this.

3. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i haven't had a problem with that yet ._. and i have lkike 6 hours of game time

4. shafdogg

shafdogg Member

Feb 12, 2012
    It's nice to meet you as well. Currently, I'm playing songs on insane difficulty; once I finish all of them I'll switch to suicidal. There are still some songs i haven't added yet, plus i've noticed a number of songs in my itunes library that don't show up on the music select list.

I have played a few songs on suicidal; my best run is 53 million on a 7 minute 31 second song on the PS3 version. The song is called Galactic S-O-U-L and it comes from the Katamari Forever OST.

5. shafdogg

shafdogg Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I too have accidentally hit the shield or missiles power-up when trying to make precise movements. I've gotten better, but it's still an issue.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I just find the buttons, particularly the two below the pads, to be too hard to hit. Trying to use the shield was killing me as often as saving, and since bomb also provides a shield I was just using that, and I just found I never used the beam. So I've moved to just missiles and bombs, and I use all the score/multiplier perks, volume, power, and either lives or longer missile fire depending on whether I'm playing endless or standard. It works out pretty well but I'd particularly appreciate an easier to use shield and beam for endless where the usefulness of volume and power perks seems questionable.

7. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    #207 escapedturkey, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    If the buttons were in the same place in dual stick as they are in the single stick would that help? I am asking because I know the developer is reading this thread.

The fixed sticks are okay but I feel the movement is a bit stiff. Perhaps if there was a way to adjust sensitivity and/or the ability to adjust the dead zone that may help. Someway to customize controls would be nice -- where to place buttons, choosing one or both sticks to be floating or fixed (ex: I would choose a floating movement stick and keep the fire stick fixed).

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Haven't even tried single stick yet :p I'll check it out.

9. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    The controls and player physics are just killing this for me. No momentum in the movement, and somehow I inadvertently move the wrong direction at times, Im not sure whats causing it.

If this controlled like infinity field but with the music stuff layered on I'd love it, but as is.. I think I'd rather just play infinity field.

10. metalgearjsn

metalgearjsn Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Given the precise movements required, I don't think there can be any momentum in the movement as it would make it too difficult.

As for moving in the wrong direction, are you sure you aren't being attacked by those guys that zap you and push/pull you?

11. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

This^^ especially for the first point. Trying to do suicidal and dodging all the debris at the start trying to boost your bonuses is hard enough without adding extra movement that you cant stop.

12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I'd love to see momentum, maybe that you could turn on/off in settings.

13. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Monumentum would make the game near impossible to play.

14. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Trippiest game I've seen since Awesome Saucer. Anything by Justice is good.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    For you maybe. I'm getting a little bored of suicidal myself, could use an additional challenge :p Seriously though, it's for the most part an endless game. Is meant to become near impossible to play at some point, and momentum would be fun and just feel better imo.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just picked this up after only being half interested by the Steam/PSN versions. As I expected, the music doesn't really do that much to make each "level" unique, but automated rhythm games rarely manage to pull this off. Visually it's a blast, a fantastic light show while you listen to your music, not quite up there with Geometry Wars 2, but frantic and colourful nonetheless. I wish I had the option to block certain tracks (15 minutes of silence at the end of one song isn't very fun to play) and I'd like to be able to stop it from playing any music at all on the menu screens, but for the asking price it's a definite keeper.

17. metalgearjsn

metalgearjsn Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I haven't played the PC version for about six months, so I can't remember if it allowed you to play an album in proper order in Survival mode. I can't seem to figure this out in the iOS version.

I can sort the list by album, but the tracks appear in alphabetical order rather than track number order (and yes, I have tagged their track numbers). Is this possible?

18. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Nice menu. Think I'll stay here awhile since I can't seem to start the game. Brilliant design.

19. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #219 jwm2, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    How are you guys getting the game to work? The menu doesn't function at all. I can't do anything but sit here and listen to my music on the instructions screen.

Nevermind, figured it out. Just use your finger to scroll up and down the menu.

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Can the intense strobe effects have a negative effect on the life of my iPad's screen?