Universal Beat da Beat (by Nekki Indie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Aug 26, 2015.

1. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I have to amend what I said here. I was using a cheap pen/stylus that I got for free. I just recently bought a Bamboo brand stylus, and it works much better, to the point where I have to say this is the preferred way to play any bullet hell game on iOS. Using the Bamboo stylus has made me fall in love with all my Cave shmups all over again, since now I can play them with the play area at full screen without compromising visibility, plus it feels more accurate than with my finger anyway.

2. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Just picked this up, this game is excellent! GC doesn't seem to be working.

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Same here on both items. Great game, I'd really like to see GC functional though.

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Is there a timeframe for the update?

5. Threepwood

Threepwood Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Great game indeed and the soundtrack is just awesome! - Two minor issues I would love to see changed sometime down the road is the UI on the right side of the screen is very hard to read when playing on iPad (as a right handed person) and second thing is, that in order to use special skills you need to pause the game, but the pause function (lifting your finger) got a small delay, so I actually get hit if I "pause" a split second before impact. Would love to see this changed from ultra slow-mo to a real pause function.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=269386][​IMG][/thread] [thread=248489][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269541][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269461][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269494][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269444][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269442][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269449][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261536][​IMG][/thread]

Beat da Beat

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

August 27th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woohoo!! Updates live and it works great on iOS 7.1.2, with an iphone 5. =D

Thank you!!! Can't wait to really get into this now

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    They didn't increase the power of the needle ship. I still can't hardly kill anything.

Oh well. I wasted a lot of effort saving up for a useless ship.

Billy

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I guess you can take solace in the fact that that info is going to come in handy for a lot of other players wondering what ship they should buy next... =o)

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #70 syntheticvoid, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Hmm... So... I just cleared normal mode (cleared casual last night), and I'm totally diggin this.

I did not notice that grazing bullets nets you points until I turned the sound on though (which I really should have been playing with 'on' since the beginning, but wasn't...), so now that there's an added layer of scoring, I'm gonna get sucked into this even more. The currency, I think it's given out at a perfect rate. I usually get between 3-8k coins a run, if I'm having a good run, usually more, especially since picking up the 'MI Tarantula' (with it's coin magnet).

Anyway... THANK YOU for the update!!! Thank you for such a great game... Thank you for the different ships which all kind of change up the gameplay (though not as much as Phoenix, still quite a bit). Just... thank you. Game rocks!

**edit**

seeing as I'm the last one to post... twice... I'll just edit this one...

I JUST BEAT HARD MODE!!! Woot!! =oD

Also, any chance you guys are thinking of adding MFi support?

Attached Files:

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I usually like Chris's write ups, but it really seemed like he only brushed over the surface of the game. Really, after playing quite a bit, it sounds like he played all of 20 minutes and hung it up.

=o/

What about the different passives and attacking specials with each ship? What about the grazing and building your multiplier for highscore chasing? What about the challenge of some of the achievements? The great bullet patterns, especially on hard and badass difficulties?

Meh...

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Soooo... Is this game done for? Or are there going to be fixes with the ships that aren't balanced properly?

13. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Sadly it seems this game isn't going to receive any updates. When you release your finger if shouldn't pause the game.

I hate when developers abandon their game.

14. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Beat da Beat Free was updated on March 3, 2016; even its release was after the last update of the premium version. It at least addressed the invisible play button on the PRACTICE screen. But I haven’t played it enough to tell whether anything else (apart from the imposition of GREEDWARE:F2P – heh) was changed. There’s apparently an analogous pair of Android versions.

The real reason for this post, however is to note that the devs released a Steam version on March 10, 2016. It just happens to be on sale for 75% off or $1.99 until July 5th. I hadn’t bitten before today, as it took a good deal of digging to determine that the game supports the iPad’s 4:3 resolution – my personal preference – in addition to the iPhone’s 16:9. In fact 16:10 and 5:4 are also supported. Significantly, the Steam version implements a number of effects (e.g., color correction and distortion) that address the game’s sparse look on iOS. And while arcade or analog stick control would have been a nice addition, I think the mouse control works better than touch. Finally, it may be my time away from the iOS version (moved on after I beat hard mode) but the game seems tougher on my PC; objectively so in some respects, since there’s no pause-scumming (left and right buttons map to bomb and skill) and no continues so far. In short, if you enjoy the iOS version, you should really consider the Steam one.

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I wouldn't purchase this on steam when they have yet to address issues on IOS where I was a first day purchaser. If they address the issues on IOS then I would consider it.

Billy

16. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    [​IMG]
    So, it turns out that the Steam version has a screen orientation option. The screenshot above is what the iPad version could have looked like. I think it’s much more balanced – losing the sparseness of the iPhone version in particular – with game elements more appropriately sized for mobile. You have to wonder if that wasn’t the dev’s intent at some point. Oh well, guess I should be happy to discover something that has breathed new life into one of my favorite “beated” games.